The Android Discussion Thread

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Jailbreaking is legal here in the US (even on Apple phones). But jailbreaking will most likely void your warranty. In cases where you brick your phone (i.e. make it unusable, etc), you wont get the help of your carrier in replacing it with another similar phone. You will have to then stick to a prepaid n' simple gophone until your 2-yr contract is over (or you have to ask someone else either in ur family or friends to give you their 2-yr contract so that you can get a new smartphone).

But these days, people jailbreak/root their phones pretty easily without bricking it. Unless you are a total technology dummy who has a higher probability of messing things up, go ahead and root/jailbreak your phone.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That is really interesting, I though it was illegal. How exactly would one do it. Really need to get rid of some of the useless apps on my phone.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
That is really interesting, I though it was illegal. How exactly would one do it. Really need to get rid of some of the useless apps on my phone.

Depending on the type of phone you have, just Google for it (e.g. jailbreaking iPhone 5, jailbreaking Galaxy S3, jailbreaking HTC One, etc) and you should get tons of information on how to jailbreak your phone. If you just want to root it, replace 'jailbreaking' with 'root'

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
@SaiSrini - you can't jailbreak an android phone :p

You can. Especially when Android phones are locked to a particular carrier (as is the case in countries like the US, etc), you call it 'jail breaking' when you unlock the phone. There are some root techniques which just roots the phone and does not unlock it from a carrier. Also sometimes, root and jailbreak are terms that are used inseparably.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
You can. Especially when Android phones are locked to a particular carrier (as is the case in countries like the US, etc), you call it 'jail breaking' when you unlock the phone. There are some root techniques which just roots the phone and does not unlock it from a carrier. Also sometimes, root and jailbreak are terms that are used inseparably.

I'm quite sure that's simply called 'unlocking.' And the other is 'unlocking the bootloader', when you wish to use custom kernels.

----------

Jailbreaking is basically giving the iOS devices the ability to 3rd party applications and unlocking the carrier.

Gurjot95

National Board President
Can we completely Install a new OS? and if yes,Can we install an OS other than android???
It depends if the developer has ported a ROM based on different OS for your phone. You can go further to XDA and see the required ROM's available for your phone. Anyways, I don't see a reason why you ever need to replace Android OS with any other.

you call it 'jail breaking' when you unlock the phone.
We simply call it Unlocking! :p I don't think I have ever seen a term 'Jail breaking' used when something is related to Android.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
It depends if the developer has ported a ROM based on different OS for your phone. You can go further to XDA and see the required ROM's available for your phone. Anyways, I don't see a reason why you ever need to replace Android OS with any other.

We simply call it Unlocking! :p I don't think I have ever seen a term 'Jail breaking' used when something is related to Android.

That means we can install WP8 xD

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dont forget to take a backup of your stock ROM.Get a custom ROM of your desire from Droid Developers Forum,install it and enjoy.I rooted by Galaxy Note and still sold it for nearly 19000;it was a 1.3 years old mobile with Cyanogen MOD and the market price ATP was around 27,999 only.They never questioned me on anything,i sold it in Sangeetha Mobiles only(Earlier known as Wavetel).

Tanmay

Club Captain
I have an unlocked HTC One V and have been using a custom rom(CynogenMod10) for around a month.Rooting is really worth and the probability for bricking a device is very very low.With proper roms and kernels it is possible to overclock the phone(HTC One V) till 2ghz, plus there are a number of different themes available on the play store itself.By undervolting the device you can greatly improve the battery life of your device.

Users who are viewing this thread