The Ashes 2021/22

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Cricket Australia always had a 'Future Captain' program in place. As far as I remember, this was instituted from the time Allan Border was still captain.

What followed thereafter was a series of captains who were earmarked to take over. These guys were identified in their early 20's and persisted with over longer time periods. Taylor, Steve Waugh looked and seemed capable. It was followed up with Ponting, Clarke. Interesting to note that Gilly and Hadding served as deputies cause the captain in waiting wasnt able to cope with the pressures of the job then.

I believe this culture was instilled by Andrew Hilditch. He was in the Chief's position until 2011 and last that I remember he had earmarked Cam White and Tim Paine to take over. Post the Hilditch era, didnt see such news coming from Aussie camps. Usually, they would pick up a person or two from the U19. However, in the last decade or so, havent seen any names come up.

Perhaps its time for them to bring this up again. The way I see it, Pat Cummins, even if he is appointed, he will need a solid deputy. CA cannot keep scrambling around for options then.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cricket Australia always had a 'Future Captain' program in place. As far as I remember, this was instituted from the time Allan Border was still captain.

What followed thereafter was a series of captains who were earmarked to take over. These guys were identified in their early 20's and persisted with over longer time periods. Taylor, Steve Waugh looked and seemed capable. It was followed up with Ponting, Clarke. Interesting to note that Gilly and Hadding served as deputies cause the captain in waiting wasnt able to cope with the pressures of the job then.

I believe this culture was instilled by Andrew Hilditch. He was in the Chief's position until 2011 and last that I remember he had earmarked Cam White and Tim Paine to take over. Post the Hilditch era, didnt see such news coming from Aussie camps. Usually, they would pick up a person or two from the U19. However, in the last decade or so, havent seen any names come up.

Perhaps its time for them to bring this up again. The way I see it, Pat Cummins, even if he is appointed, he will need a solid deputy. CA cannot keep scrambling around for options then.
My prediction will be Steve Smith as vice-captain. Experience is experience at the end of the day and Cummins needs that until he's been captain long enough to have confidence in his own decision making. Having said that Cummins seems like a level headed guy with an even keel so he could take to it like a duck to water.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
My prediction will be Steve Smith as vice-captain. Experience is experience at the end of the day and Cummins needs that until he's been captain long enough to have confidence in his own decision making. Having said that Cummins seems like a level headed guy with an even keel so he could take to it like a duck to water.
Just my opinion, but I don't see Smudge being made VC. If they wanted, they would've made him captain directly, given the Ashes is such a big series. I feel they'll choose Marnus as VC.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Just my opinion, but I don't see Smudge being made VC. If they wanted, they would've made him captain directly, given the Ashes is such a big series. I feel they'll choose Marnus as VC.
Yeah, Marnus is a solid choice.

Reactions: DAP

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My money is on Marnus as VC as well. It's difficult to imagine Smith getting the role. I would be surprised if that happens.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Cummins Labuschagne combo might work well for Australia. I second that entirely.

Going back to Smudge won't set a good precedent. Their U19 team had some good faces and I would personally want Australia to look beyond the tried and tested names.

What really surprised me is the aversion to point Cummins as captain. You've been building him up for the last 2 years. In the abscence of the regular fella, it makes sense to elevate him. Don't forget, Finch spoke positively about Cummins post the World Cup triumph.

Bevab

Staff Member
Cummins Labuschagne combo might work well for Australia. I second that entirely.

Going back to Smudge won't set a good precedent. Their U19 team had some good faces and I would personally want Australia to look beyond the tried and tested names.

What really surprised me is the aversion to point Cummins as captain. You've been building him up for the last 2 years. In the abscence of the regular fella, it makes sense to elevate him. Don't forget, Finch spoke positively about Cummins post the World Cup triumph.

The worry seems to stem from his role, previous injury record and his already ridiculous workload. Having said that, hasn’t he already played every Ashes game in the last two series? If he is fit, there is no chance he doesn’t play given how talented he is. I would support him being captain and a bloke like Head becoming the vice-captain. If he needs a rest, give Head the captaincy the job while Marnus is groomed without the pressure of a direct leadership role. Reassess in a year or two if Head has established a role in this side and if yes, make him the captain once Cummins feels like it is too much pressure. If not, there’s always Marnus.

Bevab

Staff Member

I feel like there have been attempts to bring this back with how Cummins has been slowly promoted as a leader with him even leading the NSW side in List A cricket. Head was groomed for a long time too and then Carey became the pick once CA realised that Paine would need replacing eventually. The structures have also been put in place for Marnus in Queensland. Will be interesting to see who else gets earmarked.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
So...
  1. :aus: :bat: David Warner
  2. :aus: :bat: Marcus Harris, or other opener
  3. :aus: :bat: Marnus Labuschagne
  4. :aus: :bat: Steven Smith
  5. :aus: :bat: Travis Head
  6. :aus: :ar: Cameron Green
  7. :aus: :wk: Josh Inglis, or other keeper
  8. :aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins :c:
  9. :aus: :bwl: Mitchell Starc
  10. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
  11. :aus: :bwl: Josh Hazlewood
versus
  1. :eng: :bat: Rory Burns
  2. :eng: :bat: Haseeb Hameed
  3. :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan
  4. :eng: :bat: Joe Root
  5. :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
  6. :eng: :bat: Ollie Pope, or other batter
  7. :eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
  8. :eng: :bwl: Ollie Robinson
  9. :eng: :bwl: Jack Leach
  10. :eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad
  11. :eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson
Apart from no Foakes, looks like two full strength teams. Not that they were created equal or anything

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. :aus: :bwl: Pat Cummins :c:
  2. :aus: :bwl: Mitchell Starc
  3. :aus: :bwl: Nathan Lyon
  4. :aus: :bwl: Josh Hazlewood
versus
  1. :eng: :bat: Rory Burns
  2. :eng: :bat: Haseeb Hameed
  3. :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan
I can't wait to see this
Edit: idk why the numbered list quoted wrong, I'm not suggesting to open with Cummins or Starc at all!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Going back to Smith as captain/ vice-captain would be weird. Paine got the stick for an act he did 4 years ago. If CA institutes Smith in the leadership role, it would again raise concerns over the integrity of the board.

Furthermore, I really do not understand why a sitting vice-captain cannot take over? You do not appoint someone as a vice-captain to simply manage the forces on the field, whenever the captain isn't around. The concerns of a fast-bowling captain have always been there, however, you've seen the likes of Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, Pollock do a great job. If this was a point of concern, they shouldn't have appointed him as a deputy in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread