• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I really do hope England win tomorrow. Nothing against the Aussies, but I really want the series to come alive. I think a day like today is why we tune into test cricket!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A game like this will be decided within the first couple of hours of the final days play. If Root holds up his end and the other side (be in Woakes, Ali or Bairstow) play thier shots, I would give England a strong chance of defeating Australia and bringing this series alive.

I really hope that England doesn't adopt a "we have a lot of time to hit these 190 runs" option because with time the chances of mistakes increase considerably - especially with a weak tail of Anderson, Broad and Ball!

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Big big blow! I reckon it's all but over now.

I think this is where Smith and to some extent Kohli and Williamson edge ahead of Root. He seems to score consistent 50s but at the Test level, you certainly need to convert those into hundreds. It's almost like you sense you gonna get Root around the 60-80-run mark.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I have been saying the same thing. Smith and Kohli are class apart from Root. Root scores a lot of 40-90s. Root does not get big scores and when needed fails first.

Although Ali, Bairstow and Broad are remaining I have very little hope. This spell, the afternoon first session is really important. If these two survive, evening session will be good

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Big big blow! I reckon it's all but over now.

I think this is where Smith and to some extent Kohli and Williamson edge ahead of Root. He seems to score consistent 50s but at the Test level, you certainly need to convert those into hundreds. It's almost like you sense you gonna get Root around the 60-80-run mark.

Fair criticism but I don't think he could've done anything about his dismissal today.[DOUBLEPOST=1512534871][/DOUBLEPOST]It just annoys me how much Bairstow is being wasted.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
This is exactly the sort of situation that was there in the Ashes Edgbaston test of 2005.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
England had the potential to give the Aussie's a run for their money but those early wickets just killed off their momentum. Riotous unable to convert and worryingly for England, the lower order is seeming very ineffective when you saw Woakes, Moeen and Bairstow do so well down there and now they're unable to produce their magic again. Predicting a whitewash, sorry to say.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
If England have a hope of retaining the Ashes, they should field this team next game-

:bat: Alastair Cook
:bat: Mark Stoneman
:bat: Joe Root :c:
:bat: Johnny Bairstow
:ar: Ben Stokes
:ar: Moeen Ali
:wk: Ben Foakes
:ar: Chris Woakes
:bwl: Tom Curran
:bwl: Stuart Broad
:bwl: James Anderson

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Mitchell Marsh picked ahead of Maxwell. Yes, it's the WACA, but Maxwell deserves to be in the squad at least

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
And yet again the best test matches being played in Australia. So pleasant to watch the crowds turning in large nos.

Expecting tight contests but has to be 5-0 or 4 at best.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Didn't expect the win to be as easy as it turned out but great to see the bowlers come out all guns blazing on day 5. Cummins in particular is the most underrated player in the team right now, does a lot of superb work that goes unnoticed. Handscomb for Mitchell Marsh (should've been Maxwell but alas) the only change to be made for the next test. The team badly needs an all rounder. The lack of one was the biggest reason behind not enforcing the follow on option, there was no chance the bowlers could've bowled another 20-30 overs that day.

Also, wonder if Smith and Root have been affected by captaincy. Obviously Smith's stats as a captain are fantastic but his game seems to have slowed down. A bit of positivity seems to have gone. As for Root, I guess the pressures of captaining might be getting into his head which could be why he has struggled to convert of late.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Where did you see that?

Maxwell should have been selected, he would put Handscomb under pressure and Shaun Marsh could get a promotion up to 5. Maxwell could play at the MCG, his home ground where he made that 278. Handscomb should be dropped IMO. Australia will miss his fielding, but Maxwell is a great fielder. Mitchell Marsh is overrated, was a useful bowler but overrated batting wise. Now he has completely stopped bowling and it's hard to believe he'll be of any good to Australia.
Mitchell Marsh picked ahead of Maxwell. Yes, it's the WACA, but Maxwell deserves to be in the squad at least

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
The answer to England's problem is obvious. Change the batting order. Move Cook, Stoneman and Vince to the bottom of the order, and Bairstow, Ali and Overton to the top of the order. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread