The game menus were awesome also. Can't remember the specific details of them but I do know they were awesome. I remember once blocking a keeper kick from his hands once and scoring, something I never did again, and I don't think we have been able to do until the latest Fifa.
1. Thriller/Stealth: Not really played any
2. Sports: FIFA 09
3. Action/War/Shooter: STALKER
4. Car Racing: rFactor
5. Old is gold: FIFA 98 (winning the world cup with Iceland :happy plus being able to push people over ) Grand Prix 2 (awesome game) Age of Empires (great game for it's time) and Descent (please tell me someone played it)
Don't think I played Fifa 98, but I remember Fifa 97 and 99. 97 had an indoor option as well as an outdoor option, that was brilliant, also had Cantona in:cool:. Fifa 99 had Bergkamp on the front, "Phonxo Brother" (or however you spell it) as the theme tune! Also it had an option where you could virtually turn the ref off (no yellows or reds) meaning you could go up to the keeper if he had the ball in his arms and kick him.
Also, if we're talking about old school games, how about Championship Manager 01/02, was my first CM/FM game. Class game it was too!
2. Sports: NBA Live 09 or Madden 09 (PS2) / Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (Nintendo Wii). Love sport games!
3. Action/War/Shooter: GTA: San Andreas (PS2) / Counter-Strike: Source (PC)
4. Car Racing: Any Need 4 Speed (PS2)
5. Old is gold: Jonah Lomu Rugby (PS1, was epic. You could just run around in circles palming the whole opposition team then once they got up go knock them down again then when you got bored score the try)