SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNcrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Episode 1: Harry Wroetoshaw
1681978717855.jpeg

How did you first get into cricket?

My first memories of watching cricket are watching the Ashes and I've always wanted to play test cricket since then. My parents considered moving me to England for better opportunities but I had my heart set on representing Guernsey.

Did you always dominate in junior/age group cricket?

For the first few years I used to bat as low as 7 or 8 and hardly bowl which made it hard to stand out. Once I got the chance to bat higher up, I did much better and caught the eye of the national selectors. It was a really quick transition, and I've learnt so much along the way

What hobbies and interests do you have outside of cricket?

I have a Youtube channel based on the video game FIFA which some readers may be aware of. Enjoy running that and in general playing video games in my spare time

How long have you been captaining Guernsey? Do you think leadership comes naturally to you?

Guernsey only started playing WCC recognized international matches since the Nations League in 1999, so I officially became captain then but I had the privilege to captain Guernsey and Guernsey A in friendly matches since 1995.
I think it does, I enjoy analyzing the game and have been very interested in tactics and different strategies from before I ever captained, so I think it was a pretty smooth transition

You are the no. 1 Test batter, and regularly chip in with wickets. Do you think Guernsey rely too much on you?

I think thats a bit unfair on the others, we have pretty high standards and everyone is expected to pull their weight in the team. Almost everyone in the current squad has won us a match by themselves at some point, and there's a lot of really good uncapped players waiting for their chance which always motivates us to always be at our best

I do take a lot of pride in my dual skills though, feel like if I can contribute in both aspects, we have a lot more room for experimentation in our lineups and frees up the pressure on everyone else.

What was more special, your
stunning double century to take your team to a record score against Finland, or your blistering 44 ball ODI ton?

Those two knocks are really close to me heart, but I think my favourite has to be my 100 vs Canada in the Nations League SF in 1999 which took us to the final that we eventually won. A match defining ton in a knockout is a dream of any batsman, and I hope to replicate it in the upcoming Nations League

The cricketing scene is huge in Guernsey. Is 4 domestic teams enough?

The cricketing scene has blown up after our recent success at international level, and more teams would definitely be a good addition in my eyes. I think the board does not want to dilute the level of the domestic competitions and the final decision is obviously with them but I would like to see another team or two added

Do you think your team can replicate their Test success in Limited Overs tournaments?

In general, cricketers in Guernsey have a natural inclination of representing the country in tests which might not be the case in ODIs but we have the players and the balance to do so. It might not happen overnight but I definitely see us becoming better because honestly the results so far in ODI's have been pretty underwhelming

Who are some young Guernsey players to watch out for in the future?

I have captained Heber Lang at domestic level, and he has easily been the best batsman in the FC Grand Championship so far with over 1500 runs in 17 matches. Henry White, Benjamin White, Nathan Williams are all international quality while I can see Brandon Houghton making a comeback to the international team. It's very pleasing to see so many amazing talents in the country, and in my experience they have narrowed the gap between International and Domestic cricket.

PM to get involved!

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
_6499a621-6749-4c27-86ab-3de96400632a.jpg
NCKB.PNG_03212933-6b53-478c-a1cc-8ea911db2f59.jpg
Till Valhalla, our third Co-President in charge of the development of the domestic structure, has some exciting news to share with all of you. Over the past two years, NKCB has been running domestic competitions in secret, but this year, we're ready to showcase our talents to the world. The South Pacific Challenge Cup, a First-Class tournament, and the Pacific Challenger Trophy, a List A tournament, will be open to the public, and we'll even make past seasons available through CD, VCR cassettes, and, dare I say it, a website we're building!

But that's not all. We're also experimenting with another domestic tournament in a new format that will further enhance the future of Niue Cricket. We'll keep you posted on the details as we work them out.

Let's hear from some of the players on how the domestic structure has helped them develop their game:

Duken Talaiti: "Playing in domestic tournaments has been crucial in developing my skills and getting the opportunity to showcase my talent on the international stage. I'm excited that NKCB is opening up these tournaments to the public, and I know it will inspire more young Niueans to pick up a bat or ball."

Salil Ankola: "The domestic structure has been essential in identifying and nurturing talent. We've seen some fantastic players emerge from the domestic scene, and I'm sure there are many more to come. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Niue Cricket."

Join us as we usher in a new era of Niue Cricket, and let's show the world what we're capable of!​

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNcrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Episode 2: Faas Vermeulen
nl player.jpg

My family is filled with professional footballers, my grandfather, father and two elder brother. So I always wanted make my own path. Cricket kind of choose me as I was accidentally bought into it by my school coach as a last min replacement player. He is the reason am standing before you today.

Did you always dominate with the bat in junior/age group cricket?

Yes, tried bowling few times in Junior level but I was terrible at it, so started focusing more on my battling.

I love to watch football, travel a lot and yes I loveee good music.

How long have you been captaining Netherlands? Do you think leadership comes naturally to you?

Well I think I am the first Netherland cricket team captain since our National Team was formed in 2000. I believe leadership quality is something which you get naturally but can't take it for granted.

Netherlands shocked the world when they reached the Euro 2000 final with barely any international experience. How confident were you about your chances?

As a team we believed we had what it needs to win the cup. We were continuously played Domestic cricket and best among us were picked to represent our country. Our first national series which happened all of a sudden was a suprise. But we learnt a lot from that washout and prepared ourself for the EURO. We are still disappointed that we could not lift the cup, but we are confident that we have a great 2001 season.

Do you think your team can replicate their ODI success in Tests?

Our goal it to win every match we play. Test or ODI. Our plans might change but our goal will not.

Who are some young Dutch players to watch out for in the future?

We all are, we have a huge pool of young talents including me. So if you want me to name one, Then his name is Faas Vermeulen.

Seeing your tours this year, You have clearly avoided big teams and gone for small teams, is there a reason behind it?

Well we are one among the underdogs in the world cricket now and our aim is to play more cricket.

In your playing XI 6 players our of 11 belong to your Domestic team. Any reason for this clear domination?

Only the best makes the international team, everyone in the squad as proved their worth in domestic circuit to deserve their spot.

So as I asked before, who decided they deserve the spot? You?

I guess the interview is over here, I have a team to lead!

Disclaimer: This interview was conducted in Dutch and translated for international audiences. ESPNcrickintel is not responsible for any errors in interpretation of the interview.

Last edited:

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
Test giants Guernsey go back-to-back at the 2001 WCC Nations League
“Worthy of its billing as the Nations League Final, the Test match saw Guernsey and India go toe-to-toe in a barnburner”​

wmuwPso.png

Guernsey number three Otto Harper pictured 'drinking' out of the Nations League trophy © World Cricket Conference, February 25, 2001

Last week, the final of the 2001 WCC Nations League concluded in thrilling fashion with Guernsey emerging on top against a valiant Indian side in front of a roaring home crowd at the National Guernsey Cricket Ground in St. Sampson. India were left heartbroken after falling short of a mammoth 429-run target by a mere 28 runs.

Worthy of its billing as the Nations League Final, the Test match saw Guernsey and India go toe-to-toe in a barnburner. Defending champions Guernsey were asked to bat first after losing the toss and their response was an imposing total of 465, before they were eventually bowled out. Dom Nightingale starred with an unbeaten 114 all the way down from number six. Surrounded by weighty knocks from Harry Wroetoshaw, Richard Morgan and Finlay Wilson, his hundred helped his team push past 450.

India however, had proven themselves as the best batting side of the tournament with the likes of Kannaur Lokesh, Vijay Kambli and Varun Muzumdar being in the top-ten run-scorers' list, but they succumbed to an on-son Guernsey attack in the first innings. Kannaur Lokesh was off to a flyer but departed after receiving an unsuspected bouncer from Sidney Lewis. Varun Muzumdar's hundred was the backbone of India's innings with the next highest score being Shubman Kotak's 36.

With a lead of 151 behind them, Guernsey found themselves in a dominant position. Tom Nightingale's hundred and Otto Harper's shielded knock extended that lead and gave India a towering target of 429 to chase down in the final innings with a session and a day left in the Test match. Even though Guernsey would've emerged triumphant on points from the first inning scores, Harry Wroetoshaw made a bold call and went for the win by declaring the innings.

It was a commendable decision no doubt, but it would come back to bite the Guernseymen almost immediately with Kannaur Lokesh pummeling the bowlers to take India to 145/0 at the end of the third session of Day 4. And with one unfazed knock, the defending champions were on the back foot. India now needed 284 runs and they had a day and all 10 of their wickets to get there. India won out in the morning session on Day 5 with Vijay Kambli mimicking Kannaur Lokesh's antics even after his departure. India lost four wickets but thumped 157 runs at nearly six-an-over in the first session to firmly establish their dominance in almost an unassailable way.

But a sudden collapse in the afternoon session resulted in India being jolted irreparably in the space of ten deliveries. Patrick Duncan and Ryan Edwards' rattled India with a one-two combo to dismiss a well-set Surajkumar Yadav and a new-to-the-crease Pramod Krishnakumar. India still required 50 runs and they had two relative newcomers at the crease in Mayas Kumble and Subrata Chatterjee. After losing Surajkumar Yadav, India lost their footing completely and that was that.

Runs came by but wickets came by even more frequently. India lost their last three wickets and fell short in what would've been a history-making run-chase as Guernsey became World Champions of Test cricket for the second time in a row. Guernsey's home crowd roared on as Harry Wroetoshaw lifted the Nations League trophy.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Cricket Board of India is thinking about bring massive changes in to there Domestic cricketing structure... Indian domestic cricket might see City based teams instead of Zonal teams... Also they might open doors to Oversea players to take part in Indian cricketing season...

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Indian domestic cricket Committee announced 16 oversea players from 10 countries for the upcoming domestic season... Committee shares that, all oversea players received NOC from there respective national board to play in India...

RHB :bro: :bat: Talha Hayat Pakistan
LHB :bro: :bat: Ankara Messi Argentina
RHB :bro: :bat: Dhruba Adhikari Nepal

LHB :bro: :bat: Kauko Hossi Finland
RHB :bro: :bat: Riccardo Mastromonaco Italy
RHB :bro: :bat: William G. Charles England
RHB :bro: :bat: Sayem Ahmed Chomok Bangladesh
RHB|RM :bro: :ar: Erik Eriksen Norway

LHB|LS :goldo: :ar: Dimitris Perropoulos Greece
RHB|SLW :bro: :ar: Baburam Bhatrrai Nepal
RHB|LF :slvo: :ar: Sok Se-Yoon North Korea

LHB|LF :slvo: :bwl: Kabir Khan Durrani Pakistan
RHB|RF :bro: :bwl: Fabio Gonzalez Argentina
RHB|RF :bro: :bwl: Manne Rautiainen Finland
RHB|RMF :bro: :bwl: Zachary Wilson England

RHB|LS :bro: :bwl: Nirupom Debnath Bangladesh

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
WCC to trial new ‘Twenty20’ format at the Manchester Commonwealth Games
“WCC's pitch has also thrown open the idea of the tournament expanding beyond the originally planned 6-team affair”​

rILaH4j.jpg

Promotional images can be seen on buildings ahead of the Commonwealth Games next year © Associated Press Manchester, April 25, 2001

After several months of speculation, it was finally confirmed today by a World Cricket Conference [WCC] official that the new Twenty20 format, designed specifically for cricket's inclusion in a multi-sports event like the Olympics, would first be trialed at the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Manchester.

WCC's organization committee has been constantly communicating details of a potential rejig of the planned tournament with the Commonwealth Games Federation [CGF]. While planning for such events is done years in advance, any kind of replanning on short notice is wildly unprecedented, however, the officials at WCC have given no negative indications. WCC's pitch has also thrown open the idea of the tournament expanding beyond the originally planned 6-team affair.

While the exact details are being kept under wraps, it is all but confirmed that the new Twenty20 format, a brainchild of WCC President Müller Schwanstegger himself, is going to be trialed at the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Manchester next year.

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
The Red Sun

BCB announces Domestic OD league: National Regional Premier ODI Competition

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has announced earlier in a press conference today they will be holding their ODI domestic competition after a long wait. The league, named National Regional Premier ODI competition, will be played by 4 teams who will play 12 matches in a round robin format with a final in the end. Dhaka, Chittagong, Rajshahi and Khulna have been announced to be the teams that will partake in the competition.

The league is scheduled to start in June, after the National team is finished with their international duties. League Schedule and Squads for the teams have been been announced by officials shortly after the conference.

During the press conference, BCB president Tajmul Hossain Bapon explained the reason for a long delay in holding the competition.

"We had tight budgetary concerns which made it difficult for us making arrangements to hold the league. We wanted to take proper arrangements, so we had to resolve all our budget issues first before we could start anything. I apologise for such a delay. BCB is trying is best to make sure more cricket is being played.

Although most are happy, some are still very dissatisfied with the announcement. They are dissatisfied with the reasoning provided for the delay and blame the BCB for actually being lazy and unproductive.

"Cricket is our most played game in the country. Why would there be budget issue. It only looks like the president is trying to hide his incompetency with these lies"

"We have to rise our standards to the global needs if we want to do well. We cannot do it as long as idiots are in charge."

"National Premier Regional ODI Competition.....What a stupid name. National and Regional are 2 separate things. Pick one dammit. And ODI means One day International. "International". Do you even knew what that word means? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to finally see some cricket. But seriously, who approved this garbage name!??"

"I do not feel like the players are being heard. It's not like they don't exist at all. They do whatever they want without scrutiny."

After being asked about these complaints, President Bapon made it clear that there is no reason for him to pay any heed to them.

"Of course no one will be fully satisfied with our decisions. But it doesn't mean we will stop making them. These complaints will go on no matter what we do. Haters will keep saying 'The name is wrong!' and things like that but they will never appreciate the effort that goes behind everything. That being said, nothing can be done about the tournament name even if people find mistakes in it. Hopefully from the next season we can resolve them."

And so, the Bangladesh Domestic season is finally about to begin.

Last edited:

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
WCC mulling relocating Knockout Trophy from France
“French Cricket Federation [FCF] failed to give a written assurance about tax exemptions for the tournament from the government of France”​

Ci7TFYm.png

WCC President Müller Schwanstegger will reside over the annual summit early next year © WCC Press, January 6, 2001

Rumors have recently emerged of World Cricket Conference [WCC] potentially mulling the idea of relocating the 2002 edition of the Knockout Trophy from France after the French Cricket Federation [FCF] failed to give a written assurance about tax exemptions for the tournament from the government of France.

WCC, as a not-for-profit organization, does not pay taxes under German law where they are currently headquartered in. It is understood that when a multi-national global event such as the Knockout Trophy is awarded to host, such exemptions are also expected for the revenue of the tournament from the host country. However, FCF has so far failed in providing WCC with a written assurance from the French government and it has subsequently led to speculation within the Conference members that perhaps a new host nation will be selected for the upcoming edition of the Knockout Trophy at the annual World Cricket Conference summit early next year.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNcrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Epiosode 3: Farai Mombeshora
farai mombeshora.jpg

I was born in Murewa, a town close to the Mozambique border, with a population of under 10,000. Not much happens there, except, perhaps, a spot of farming. Then my family moved to Highfield, the most famous of Harare's high-density suburbs, a hotbed of cricketing activity for better financial opportunities.

I used to go to Takashinga Cricket Club which is a cornerstone for black cricket in Zimbabwe - with my cousin. There I was spotted by the coach at my school Churchill. The first ball I bowled was at Takashinga Club. When I was playing for them as a kid, I started enjoying the game, and the coach came to my house and said, 'Come and play for the school.' I was really shy, but when he brought me to play for my primary school, I really started loving the game."

Did you always dominate with the ball in junior/age group cricket?

"I wasn't privileged like a lot of other kids [who had] good cricket grounds and lots of friends playing the game. Later, when I wanted to train, I couldn't even afford a mobile phone or decent shoes, and just turned up to Harare Sports Club to see if I could get a chance to bowl. I got into it just because I was curious about the game. "I didn't care about whether I had shoes, or whether I had a bat. I just focused on going out there and bowling and doing what I loved."
Sometime the success came and I did dominate the opposition, but does not want to praise myself too much here.

Smiles! outside cricket I like to visit my town, meets friends and do some farming and I quite like stone sculpture and wood carving. Everyone here has some unique talent , we like to weave mats, dresses, beehives, food containers, and water coolers. Baskets, storage containers, chairs, fish traps, carpets, and sleeping mats are still made from cane, reed, grass, sisal, and similar materials. They are made both for personal use and for sale

You have the best figures in Test history. Do you think anyone can ever replicate a performance like that?

That was a pretty lucky day ahh (laugh), but seriously this kind of performances you dream for (8/62 against France). That was our debut series and both side were new to international cricket and we were very nervous and at the same time exited and pumped.
To answer your question, I do believe in records are made to be broken, we have many fantastic bowlers so you never know,
maybe hopefully I can better the same.

How was your experience as an overseas player in Moroccan domestic cricket?

I learned a lot from MARRAKECH playing in Moroccan domestic cricket,". "I learned how to manage my body, I learned how to be a professional. It really changed me and made me a better cricketer in the way I think and the way I see things.
Playing alongside Barka (Sufyan Ben Barka) and Radi (Quds Al-Harradi) was an great experience, learn a thing or 2 thing from them like you pick up the moments where you need to throw in a yorker or a slower ball or something like that.
Unfortunately we did not cross the line in both tournaments but it was a nice opportunity for me and I am grateful for it. Hopefully Zimbabwe cricket will be able to set up something like it in near future.

Zimbabwe suffered an AFCON heartbreak earlier this year. How strong do you see yourself compared to other teams in the region?

Ahhhhh.... It was (a) heartbreak after how strong performance we have put before the final and managed to beat SA in league match. All three other team and very strong teams and have some fantastic players, we are trying to gain the experience and in between has been able to gain some wins against them. AFCON nations will be dominating World Cricket in future which South Africa are already showing.

Which nation are you looking forward to playing in the future?

I am looking forward to playing some Asian teams like India and Pakistan, we are currently touring Japan, it will be a challenging task to bowl in those conditions and help me gain experience of pitches there.

Which WCC event would you like to win in the next few years?

The ultimate goal is to qualify and win NATIONS LEAGUE. but we are not quite there yet, we are targeting CRICKET WORLD CUP
hopefully we can qualify.
To start with having a chance at AFCON shield and bettering one step in AFCON Cup will be great.

Which player from another country are you a fan of?

There are many players like Patrick Duncan, Sebastian Mathisen, (and) Salman Muqtadir
But the particular I like the most and try to emulate him (sic) is Rudi Struwig. incredible performance in final of AFCON Cup.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNcrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Epiosode 4: Talha Hayat
ta.jpg

It used to be on TV when i was a kid, and then started playing with friends at school. Eventually I couldn’t go a single day without some street cricket. As soon as i had the chance, i gave a hard-ball trial, and was good enough to be selected into the age-group district team.

Not always, it was a struggle at first. I worked hard with the coaches on refining my technique in my U19 days, which allowed me to be ready for First-Class cricket.

I like to read and write Urdu poetry, and listen to desi music.

Pakistan are a cricket-crazy country, but have underperformed so far in international cricket. What do you think is the reason for disappointing results in WCC and ASCON tournaments?

I think the lack of quality in the domestic circuit hurts. This is something acknowledged by the board too, which is why they are working on a new domestic system. Hopefully it will be ready for launch soon, and then i'm sure the junoon (passion) for cricket will translate into performance at the international level too.

India dominated the Asia Cup last year. Do you think any team can challenge them for the title this year?

They’re certainly the favourites, but that will put pressure on them to succeed again. I think anyone could win, it will be an exciting tournament.

Many fans have been lobbying for a proper domestic system, as the current club cricket system seems inadequate and does not prepare players for internationals. What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, I already mentioned that we need a better domestic system. The board has put out a plan for a regional system, and eventually it should evolve into a city-based system. Fingers crossed, it will be launched soon.

I am looking forward to playing Canada this year. They are ranked first in Test cricket, and you can only improve by playing against the best.

Do you think Pakistan's strongest format is ODIs or Tests?

We certainly aren’t among the best teams in either format, but I don’t think we’re stronger in one format over the other. We should aim to succeed in both formats.

I really like watching Harry Wroetoshaw bat

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNcrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Episode 5: Aksel Johansson
aksel.jpg

It was hereditary (chuckles). My dad was a first-class cricketer for Syddanmark while my brother had played for the country at U-17, U-19 and U-23 levels. He couldn't make it at the highest level but ensured that I did so.

I think that is public information which you could have researched?* Well, I was an average batter until 15. One of the coaches who had played few games for Denmark at highest level in our setup told me that I had potential. Thats when I started taking cricket seriously and made it to the U-19 squad at 17.

I enjoy playing golf and football. I love music, especially hip-hop and rock. I love exploring new places, experiencing different cultures, and honing my cooking skills.

How was it like taking over from Niels Håkansson? Did you feel much pressure?

Niels Håkansson is a seminal figure in Danish cricket. He has had a big role in pushing us to international status. So, it was surreal when I was told that I was replacing him as the ODI captain. I had a talk with him and the coaches and they told me that I am the perfect choice and believed in my tactics and abilities. So, it helped to calm down the nerves. And once you set foot on the field, everything else becomes white noise.

Denmark have historically dominated in ODI cricket, but faltered in Tests. What do you think is the reason for this record?

I don't think it is anything major. We haven't play many test matches as other teams and had played at only home conditions until the Nations League. New Zealand and South Africa are established test-sides and are not so easy to defeat at home. But we are definitely working hard on our gameplay and will be playing more Tests from next year. There is also the Test-version of EUROs happening next year so excited for that as well.

What would you consider your best innings in Danish colours?

Either the hundred in the EURO final or the 149 against Guernsey where we chased 380-odd. Both are very close to me.

Canada. They recently became the no.1 test Team. We have played 1 game against them in the Knockout Trophy and I think it would be a good contest.

Which WCC event would you like to win in the next few years?

All of them! (laughs) Well, we take one tournament at a time and prepare accordingly. Although if we can win the World Cup in '03, it would be lovely.

Harry Wroetoshaw of Guernsey is amazing to watch. Michael Gottlieb has impressed me a lot in the few games we played against the Kiwis.

*aksel johansson propoganda article loading

Users who are viewing this thread