Draft: The Quotea Draft

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not much is known about TALIEP SALLIE and google searches don’t show up much.

I actually only came across him during my research on Frank Roro. I found a reference to Sallie there, as a legspin bowler who’s stock ball was a googly, and who was rated by no less an observer as Clarrie Grimmett as being good enough for any test team in the world.

Further research indicates he was an all rounder.

I couldn’t even tell you what era he played in!

1. Barry Richards
  2. Jimmy Cook
  3. Frank Roro :goldo:
  4. Basil D'oliveira :os::slvo:
  5. -
  6. Lee Irvine (wk)
  7. -
  8. Eric Petersen :slvo:
  9. TALIEP SALLIE :slvo:
  10. Garth Le Roux
  11. Krom Hendricks :slvo:

@Dale88

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Not much is known about TALIEP SALLIE and google searches don’t show up much.
You penis. He was my pick for the next round, and I felt confident that you'd be the only person to even maybe go down that rabbit hole. I even wrote the write-up and got a picture of him

So obviously, fantastic pick

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You penis. He was my pick for the next round, and I felt confident that you'd be the only person to even maybe go down that rabbit hole. I even wrote the write-up and got a picture of him

So obviously, fantastic pick

If you got a picture you did amazingly well!![DOUBLEPOST=1607630166][/DOUBLEPOST]Likewise, you were the only person I feared might take him and every round I was delighted when you didn’t!

Aislabie

Ireland
tommy-mitchell.jpg

This was captioned as Sallie; I'm scared to do a reverse image search though because I'll probably find it's some county random with a bit of a tan.

UPDATE - Tommy Mitchell of Derbyshire and occasionally England. Who knows what Sallie looked like

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
tommy-mitchell.jpg

This was captioned as Sallie; I'm scared to do a reverse image search though because I'll probably find it's some county random with a bit of a tan.

UPDATE - Tommy Mitchell of Derbyshire and occasionally England. Who knows what Sallie looked like

There are so many obscure, unknown and essentially invisible cricketers here that if I can’t get who I want next I’m half tempted to just choose Pradeep Mathew and see if I can get away with it...

Go on, prove he wasn’t the Bradman of the Pietermaritzburg Asian league between 1915 and 1923...

Aislabie

Ireland
3819408.jpg

:saf: :ar: Omar Henry

Test stats - 53 runs @ 17.66 (best 34) and 3 wickets @ 63.00 (best 2/56) in 3 matches
First-class stats - 4,566 runs @ 27.34 (5 centuries, best 125) and 443 wickets @ 25.17 (22 5WI, best 7/22) in 131 matches

The almost 41-year-old Omar Henry wasn't your typical Test debutant, but that he was able to make said debut was able to at all was of huge significance in the turbulant history of South African cricket. Omar Henry was historic in that he made it his business to break down cricketing colour divides that existed in late-Apartheid South African cricket, playing most of his first-class career in the "White" section of South African cricket - which, quite understandably, did not sit well with everybody. He was also an excellent controlling spinner and able lower-order batsman, both of which will be useful in our mostly pace-dominated bowling attack.

petersen291201.jpg

:saf: :bat: Keegan Petersen

First-class stats - 5,881 runs @ 41.41 (16 centuries, best 225*) in 93 matches

Quite how Petersen has yet to be selected for the Test team is a mystery, but surely one that's about to be answered as new transformation quotas are to be introduced requiring an additional black player to be present in the national team. There aren't many batsmen of his heritage capable of scoring the kind of runs he does, and so he slots happily into my team at number four.

DISCLAIMER - I don't know for certain that Petersen counts as a Black African, but I also can't find any source that says he doesn't.

1. :saf: :bat: Yacoob Omar
2. :saf: :ar: Eddie Barlow
3. :saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis
4. :saf: :bat: Keegan Petersen
6. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig
7. :saf: :ar: Mike Procter
8. :saf: :ar: Saait Magiet
9. :saf: :ar: Omar Henry
10. :saf: :bwl: Vincent Barnes
11. :saf: :bwl: Monde Zondeki

@qpeedore
- You've now got two picks to make.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
3819408.jpg

:saf: :ar: Omar Henry

Test stats - 53 runs @ 17.66 (best 34) and 3 wickets @ 63.00 (best 2/56) in 3 matches
First-class stats - 4,566 runs @ 27.34 (5 centuries, best 125) and 443 wickets @ 25.17 (22 5WI, best 7/22) in 131 matches

The almost 41-year-old Omar Henry wasn't your typical Test debutant, but that he was able to make said debut was able to at all was of huge significance in the turbulant history of South African cricket. Omar Henry was historic in that he made it his business to break down cricketing colour divides that existed in late-Apartheid South African cricket, playing most of his first-class career in the "White" section of South African cricket - which, quite understandably, did not sit well with everybody. He was also an excellent controlling spinner and able lower-order batsman, both of which will be useful in our mostly pace-dominated bowling attack.

petersen291201.jpg

:saf: :bat: Keegan Petersen

First-class stats - 5,881 runs @ 41.41 (16 centuries, best 225*) in 93 matches

Quite how Petersen has yet to be selected for the Test team is a mystery, but surely one that's about to be answered as new transformation quotas are to be introduced requiring an additional black player to be present in the national team. There aren't many batsmen of his heritage capable of scoring the kind of runs he does, and so he slots happily into my team at number four.

DISCLAIMER - I don't know for certain that Petersen counts as a Black African, but I also can't find any source that says he doesn't.

1. :saf: :bat: Yacoob Omar
2. :saf: :ar: Eddie Barlow
3. :saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis
4. :saf: :bat: Keegan Petersen
6. :eng: :ar: Tony Greig
7. :saf: :ar: Mike Procter
8. :saf: :ar: Saait Magiet
9. :saf: :ar: Omar Henry
10. :saf: :bwl: Vincent Barnes
11. :saf: :bwl: Monde Zondeki

@qpeedore
- You've now got two picks to make.

Revisionist history says Omar Henry was the 2nd non-white to play test cricket for South Africa. But of course in the absurd criteria of the time, Charlie Llewelyn was actually “white”. He was picked as white, and so Omar was the first non-white player picked as non-white. He was both a springbok and a protea. Genuine pioneer.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Also, it’s not strictly true to say he played in the “White” section. It was a multi-racial (or in their parlance, “non-racial”).

Of course it was largely white, and as you say Omar Henry and others were quite frowned upon in their communities for going along with what was seen as window dressing.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Was a bit confused seeing you going before me @Aislabie but then I realised I was right after you anyways, so it's basically a double pick for me with you in between. Well, anything to take my mind off of the Windies fielders letting their bowlers down (yet again). That's what...six or seven catches dropped now? And Nicholls is now about 110 past what he should have had. Wagner shouldn't even still be out there either, much less within touching distance of fifty.

Then again, one BC Lara was once dropped on 18. He then went on to score about 480-odd more.

Alright, let me read back a few posts and remind myself of my team...

Need top and middle order batsmen, and also two more quota players. I'll fast forward through time a bit to the present with Zubayr Hamza. I'll admit I have not seen the guy play, but he has a good FC average of 45.68 in 112 innings, with 24 fifties and 11 centuries. Those are great stats, even if his Test stats don't match it. It's still early days for him though, so I think we could well see more of him in the future.

Now I'll go back about 30 years for my next pick. When the South African team was readmitted into cricket following Apartheid, for the tour to India, their initial squad of 14 players were all white. Probably fearing public backlash, they quickly added 4 developmental players to that squad of 14, and even then only two of those players were not white. One of those white players? Hansie Cronje, and we all know how well that ended up turning out in the long run. One of the non-white players? Faiek Davids, who at the time, was doing well in the Howa Cup for a few seasons, and definitely had it in him to go to the highest level. Except he was relegated to beyond the boundary but never within the ropes itself. He was part of the same squad that Aislabie's pick of Omar Henry was in, on another day, in another time, it could have been Davids and not Henry being picked to play.

Here's a link to a recent article about him and his story:
Faiek Davids: Barry Richards refused to commentate with me at Newlands Test

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Graeme Smith (c)
3. Zubayr Hamza
5. Faiek Davids
6. Mark Boucher (wk)
7. Charlie Llewellyn
8. Tabraiz Shamsi
9. Allan Donald
10. Kagiso Rabada
11. Lonwabo Tsotsobe

(EDIT: Put Hamza in at 3 and not 4, he's normally a number 3 batsman. Gives me my last pick perfectly, but since I am the last one to pick in the Draft, I have my fingers crossed.)

Last edited:

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
DISCLAIMER - I don't know for certain that Petersen counts as a Black African, but I also can't find any source that says he doesn't
I wasn't allowed Philander with the same arguement

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My choice is Ben Malamba, another spinning all rounder this time from the “Bantu” leagues, thus completing my quota.

Malamba also starred on the 51 SACBOC tour of Kenya, and was generally considered good enough to have played at any level had he lived in a time or country that would have allowed it.

Alongside Sallie (and Petersen when he’s done with his seamers), Malamba gives me a varied and potent spin attack - something not often associated with South Africa!

@Yash.

So, with one more pick to go my team is looking really good, a genuine balance to the team with a strong top order, fierce pace attack, batting depth and potent spin.

1. Barry Richards
  2. Jimmy Cook
  3. Frank Roro :goldo:
  4. Basil D'oliveira :os::slvo:
  5. -
  6. Lee Irvine (wk)
  7. BEN MALAMBA :goldo:
  8. Eric Petersen :slvo:
  9. Taliep Sallie :slvo:
  10. Garth Le Roux
  11. Krom Hendricks :slvo:

Last edited:

Aislabie

Ireland
I wasn't allowed Philander with the same arguement
That's completely inaccurate though - numerous sources, including Philander himself most likely, describe him as "cape coloured" which is a different thing.

However I cannot find a single source that describes Keegan Petersen as such - leading me to believe he may count as a "Black African". I genuinely have no idea, but have taken the approach with everyone of accepting someone towards their quota even if there's some doubt about it, Charlie Llewellyn being the most obvious example: he played as a "white" player, but would have most likely fallen into the non-white quotas of today, so he's been counted as such.

If you can find anything that says for sure that Keegan doesn't count in that category, I'll change one of those two picks though.

Honestly this is the one thing I was dreading about this draft and I'm glad it's only come up recently - the "what race are they?" conversation is a little unseemly and one that I really would rather didn't drag on

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
That's completely inaccurate though - numerous sources, including Philander himself most likely, describe him as "cape coloured" which is a different thing.

However I cannot find a single source that describes Keegan Petersen as such - leading me to believe he may count as a "Black African". I genuinely have no idea, but have taken the approach with everyone of accepting someone towards their quota even if there's some doubt about it, Charlie Llewellyn being the most obvious example: he played as a "white" player, but would have most likely fallen into the non-white quotas of today, so he's been counted as such.

If you can find anything that says for sure that Keegan doesn't count in that category, I'll change one of those two picks though.

Honestly this is the one thing I was dreading about this draft and I'm glad it's only come up recently - the "what race are they?" conversation is a little unseemly and one that I really would rather didn't drag on
Chill :lol

You don't need to replace any player. I was just messing

Users who are viewing this thread