Tour match thread -Scotland v Australia Aug 28

karnog

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
little worrying considering how ordinary this sussex line up was. Barring the top 3 the batting line up was pretty poor and the bowling line up was mediocre. A lot to be done next week. I'm tipping Lee to be picked ahead of Hilfenhouse and Clark. I thought he bowled the best (figures wise) of the 3 pace bowlers. I have to say Hauritz is a huge gamble. With a turning wicket he could be dangerous but without it the **** will hit the fan.

Sureshot

Executive member
Rayner has the potential to play for England. Sandri is quick, but is injury prone. Expect big things from him for us if we keep him fit. Will 'Drink' Beer is a good up and coming leggie, too.

Lee was wayward, lots of balls down the leg side. Quick, but then that's granted.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
At least he complimented your pace though Lee (Y) Nice work.

Lions going to win by an innings against Australia. Heard it here first ;)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Sounds like the Cardiff pitch won't be the spinner everyone thought leaving Hauritz position under even more threat. No idea how we are going to get rid of the over rate problem though and it sounds like the ICC is finally cracking down on it.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Good to see Siddle named as a lock, now we just need to play Clark ahead of Lee and we'll win 5-0. I'd be happy to see Hilfenhaus ahead of Hauritz but I think with over rates we might need to play Hauritz, at least at Cardiff. Clark must play though.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Seems like Hilfy is out of the running so imo it'll either be Johnson, Siddle, Clark and Hauritz or Johnson, Siddle, Clark and Lee.

They should rest Siddle for this game and play Johnson so the others can still have another hit out.

Therbs

PCPL Season 2: Best Bowler (Division 2)
Johnson, Clark, Siddle, Lee. Hauritz isn't Test standard. North and Katich can bowl the spinners with Clarke as back-up. If Lee is seen as too much of a risk, which is likely, then Hilfy gets a run.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Haury was good in the second innings which is pleasing to see.

Good? He was outbowled all match by Ollie Rayner and Will Beer, 2 bowlers who struggle to get into the Sussex XI. Hauritz is rubbish. I'd go in with an all pace attack if I was Australia, with North (also outbowled Hauritz), Clarke and Katich offering some part-time spin.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Well 4 quicks is ideal for us, but if the wicket looks rough and you Pommies play 2 spinners, I think Hauritz should play (well I hope he does). With a bit of assistance he can be handy enough and would make our over rate troubles disappear. And if 3 quicks aren't good enough, would 4 make all the difference? Anyway...But it would be important to supplement Haury's potential selection with Watson/McDonald at #6 (#7 for Ronnie), just to give a better bowling option than North if Hauritz gets some tap.

But it wil create a bit of a selection mess if Hauritz is picked because then Lee/Clark will miss out. If Clark misses out, then McDonald might be in with a shot as the all-rounder as a Johnson/Siddle/Lee attack does not look like a very economical one. Ronnie is Mr Economy for us. But if it's Lee who misses out, then Watson would likely be ahead in the all-rounder stakes.

Or you could pick Hilfenhaus who is better at keeping it quiet than Lee and can actually swing it unlike Clark. He is not a better bowler than either of them IMO, but he may be a better fit balance wise for the attack along with Mitch and Siddle if we only play 3 quickies, since Mitch and Siddle are 2 aggressive quicks who can leak runs and aren't reliable swingers of the ball. Hilfy would be the ideal foil for those 2.

So many options it makes my head hurt, but in a way, I'm pretty confident whoever we end up picking.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Good? He was outbowled all match by Ollie Rayner and Will Beer, 2 bowlers who struggle to get into the Sussex XI. Hauritz is rubbish. I'd go in with an all pace attack if I was Australia, with North (also outbowled Hauritz), Clarke and Katich offering some part-time spin.
Yeah but by that logic, you could have Hauritz at 6 because he out-batted North.

Users who are viewing this thread