Trains

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
.::Stevo::. said:
I wonder if the trains in India you describe are the typical sterotype we see over here where people are literally hanging off the train and on the roof......

People hanging off trains are true stories, they still happens

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
haha, for melbourne people: imagine if you had people hanging off the train when you entered the city loop tunnel. BAM!

Funny train story: With the new connex trains, when they first came out, this old guy couldnt figure out how to open the door. With the new train you press a little button and the door opens for you. So this old guy obviosuly has no idea and is tryen to ply the door open and couldnt get in. Then the train started to leave the station and the poor bugger is chasen the train, funniest thing ever

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
JamesyJames3 said:
The English rail system is pretty good to be fair! The only thing that is a joke is the price!!

Compare it to Bus prices though and it's outstanding value for money.

Hove return on the train is ?4.70 about 24 miles round trip.

I could probably go a maximum of 10 miles round trip on a bus despite, running costs of a train being much higher.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Sureshot said:

I could probably go a maximum of 10 miles round trip on a bus despite, running costs of a train being much higher.

Maybe compared to buses, but its still ridiculous. I pay ?12 return to get back from Uni which is 40 Miles away. However, thats with a student railcard. Without its ?19. Thats ridiculous.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
haha, for melbourne people: imagine if you had people hanging off the train when you entered the city loop tunnel. BAM!

actually, Indians know when to duck, and railways engineers always keep in mind about people sitting on roof when they engineer tunnels.:D

As for your story, this I also a regular happening on the indian Platforms.The train masters keep coach doors open so that people can jump into the train.:p

I have developed fineese in jumping onto running buses.It's a amazing experience.Running behind buses at full speed and then waiting for right time for a jump onto the platform.:D

I remember when I jumped onto the platform and was dangling on the edge for 2 stops.It's a thrilling experience too.
:o
Actually indian transport systems are cool substitues to rollercoaster, when used 'right'.

(U might find these facts hard to believe, but they are regular happenings in India.People dangling outsides buses, trains and many more things....):eek:

Sureshot

Executive member
JamesyJames3 said:
Maybe compared to buses, but its still ridiculous. I pay ?12 return to get back from Uni which is 40 Miles away. However, thats with a student railcard. Without its ?19. Thats ridiculous.

Not really.

Train Driver Salaries
Station Workers
Railway Engineers
Train Maintenance
Running Costs

Take it all into account and it's not bad value.

Remember the massive ammount of tax implied by the government aswell on anything that it can.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
Sureshot said:
Not really.

Train Driver Salaries
Station Workers
Railway Engineers
Train Maintenance
Running Costs

Take it all into account and it's not bad value.

Remember the massive ammount of tax implied by the government aswell on anything that it can.

Your going into this too much. A person should not be charged ?45 to get to London from Lancashire via train. As many of my friends are forced too.

Luckily costs are going to be cut shortly!

Ste

Executive member
Sureshot said:

But to go from here (North West England) to London it costs about ?50 for a 3/4 hour journey. In Italy/France I went on a train for about 5 hours across 3 countries and it cost ?12.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I havent been on a train for ages! I will probably go to London in the summer on one.

Sureshot

Executive member
Ste said:
But to go from here (North West England) to London it costs about ?50 for a 3/4 hour journey. In Italy/France I went on a train for about 5 hours across 3 countries and it cost ?12.

And?

England is an expensive place to live.

We do pay about 3 times as much tax as Italy/France.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors

Funny train story: With the new connex trains, when they first came out, this old guy couldnt figure out how to open the door. With the new train you press a little button and the door opens for you. So this old guy obviosuly has no idea and is tryen to ply the door open and couldnt get in. Then the train started to leave the station and the poor bugger is chasen the train, funniest thing ever

Haha Stevo that was hilarious.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
See, I don't mind trains in England. I rarely travel on trains, but usually it's when my family (4 of us) go on a holiday down south, or go to visit london or catch a flight from Heathrow. If you book in advance (with a family railcard), it costs ?70 return from Leeds to London for 4 people. I thing that's quite good value for money tbh. It's when you actually buy tickets on the spot that the tickets are very expensive. A guy I know spent ?150 from Leeds to London because he bought it on the train !!!

Ste

Executive member
Sureshot said:
And?

England is an expensive place to live.

We do pay about 3 times as much tax as Italy/France.

Yes so we should have our train tickets subsidised more like in France!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
embi said:
The English rail system is a long running joke... :D

To be fair, they have been improving...

London's was just fine when I went there. The Underground was very efficient, it was a bit strange seeing the whole train switch off when waiting for another train to pass. But on the whole it was very efficient.

Amsterdam had a cool mini tram which did the loop around the city.

Singapore has a dam efficient train system - the MRT. It goes all over the Country (not hard ;)) and it runs every 5 minutes. It's the way of transport over there. The MRT are quite new and they also have a LRT system coming through.

kuttakumar

International Coach
sid_19840 said:
The local train service at my city is always too crowded and you barely get time to even get down a station or get up on the train,hence its not exactly something I fancy.I like the metro train in the city though as its much faster,normally however I prefer travelling by car.

Agreed.
The local trains are very much crowded and some of the passengers are simply mad and are always busy quarelling with co-passengers for some reason or other.Last year I used to return by train from my Physics tutor (from Dhakuria to Sealdah) and experienced such encounters most of the time.

And I prefer to travel by bus.

Users who are viewing this thread