Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
...apologies if I've offended anyone. But given the lack of replies, I'm feeling like I might have.

Leaving one.

In a Test that is abandonded due to a poor pitch or a poor outfield, do the wickets and runs scored still count for the bowlers and batsmen?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
In a Test that is abandonded due to a poor pitch or a poor outfield, do the wickets and runs scored still count for the bowlers and batsmen?
Yes

The lack of responses might be because Fake Passport/Deleted User has left the forum.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Not a question but a query, Can a fielder use his cap to take a catch?
Nope. This would be five penalty runs to the batting side if done deliberately.

If done by accident (see Jonathan Trott and Tillakaratne Dilshan at short-leg) then the catch can stand, but to deliberately use a foreign object to catch the ball comes under the same law as the ball hitting the helmet behind the keeper.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Although as of October, a fair catch can be claimed off of a helmet worn by a fielder. A spare helmet behind the keeper still gets the 5 penalty runs though.

Lots of pretty interesting changes to the Laws, actually. I'd invite everyone to read them via the MCC website.

EDIT: Because the series started before the new Laws come into play, I don't think the WI/ENG or the IND/AUS games are subject to the new rules.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Oh, that was a long time ago when we used to simulate cricket games using various programs and then write a story around it.

I'm not sure if I got it for my Bangladesh story or my West Indies story...but they were both pretty well reviewed. You can find them if you go to my profile and search for the threads I've created. My Bangladesh is called "From minnows to tigers" and my WI is "Calypso Vs Collapso".

Got voted story of the month for one of them...we used to have sweet stories here, man.

EDIT: Clearly I can't use a word for a small fish on here hence it's asterixed out. Thanks, PlanetCricket. Asterix-ing thanks.

DOUBLE EDIT: if you can find some of the other stories, it's hours of great reading. Asterixes aside.

TRIPLE EDIT: My WI story - Story - Calypso vs. Collapso - A West Indies story (WI/Aus posted!) - Cricket Leagues on PlanetCricket Forums

My Bangla story - Story - Bangladesh: From ******s to Tigers! (End of England tour) - Cricket Leagues on PlanetCricket Forums

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Get this back!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
- The batsmen set off for a sharp run. At the striker's end, the man stretches out as much as he can and grounds his bat behind the line, but loses his grip. The bat slips away from him and the stumps are broken with no part of his actual body grounded. The fielding team appeals. Is he out?

- A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out?

- With high winds blowing, the umpires decide to dispense with the bails, as they are being blown off much too often. How will the stumps be considered broken?

- The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread