Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
- The batsmen set off for a sharp run. At the striker's end, the man stretches out as much as he can and grounds his bat behind the line, but loses his grip. The bat slips away from him and the stumps are broken with no part of his actual body grounded. The fielding team appeals. Is he out?
This is concerning one of the new rules that has been recently introduced isn't it? If he has already grounded his bat behind the line before the wickets have been felled, he is now not out.

- A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out?
:p :p :p This one has me creasing. Personally as an umpire I'd give it out as the bowler has completely dislodged the bail. What happens after this occurs does not really make any difference as the batsman is out as soon as the bail leaves the stumps.

- With high winds blowing, the umpires decide to dispense with the bails, as they are being blown off much too often. How will the stumps be considered broken?
A stump would have to be struck out of the ground?

- The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now?
It would be fair and in the spirit of the game to bring them back out to play for the last run I think.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
- The batsmen set off for a sharp run. At the striker's end, the man stretches out as much as he can and grounds his bat behind the line, but loses his grip. The bat slips away from him and the stumps are broken with no part of his actual body grounded. The fielding team appeals. Is he out?
I think it's out, even with the new rule. I believe the new rule says that after you've grounded your bat, you're in regardless of anything that might happen later. But if the bat is not in your hands, how can it be adjudicated as the batsman having made his ground?
- A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out?
Not out. The somersault is irrelevant, and we've seen bails staying on the stumps after being dislodged a lot of times.
- With high winds blowing, the umpires decide to dispense with the bails, as they are being blown off much too often. How will the stumps be considered broken?
When the bowl hits the stumps, and the umpires decide (at their discretion) that the wicket has been dislodged.
- The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now?
If there's time and overs, there's no reason to not get back on the ground.

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The batsmen set off for a sharp run. At the striker's end, the man stretches out as much as he can and grounds his bat behind the line, but loses his grip. The bat slips away from him and the stumps are broken with no part of his actual body grounded. The fielding team appeals. Is he out?
This should definitely be out for me personally. Otherwise the batsmen might just start throwing their bats at the crease to get in. Going by the new rules, it might not be the case as I think it says once the batsman is in, it doesn't matter what happens later. But, I will give it out.

A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out?
Tricky. I haven't seen bails dislodged and then setttle back to their position on the stumps. We have had instances where the bails move a bit but don't dislodge in which case it is not out. But, in this one I will say out as the bails were dislodged fully at one time. Whatever happens afterwards is of no concern. Out.

With high winds blowing, the umpires decide to dispense with the bails, as they are being blown off much too often. How will the stumps be considered broken?
I think the umpires will have the final say. I mean as far as bowled wickets are concerned, the umpires might give it out if the ball hits the stumps whereas for run out, they have to be removed from the ground to be given out.

The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now?
I think if everyone have left the field, it gets difficult. I can't really force the team which has been awarded a win to come back as the match result has been officially declared. What I can try and do is first talk to both team captains and try and convince them both to come back and play which is a fair play.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Nope. Acc. To the new rules, it is not out.

A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out
LOL tweaking no. Would be interesting to see that in real life.

Uhm, if the stumps are disturbed from their positions or are uprooted.

The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now
Match can’t be continued. Final result is that the match is tied, since the teams had gone off the field and shook hands.
West Indies did this in 2009. They thought that they had reached the D/L target and had won, and they went off the field, but were one run short.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Yash...

Was hoping someone would mention that idiotic match with the West Indies. Thanks for bringing it up!

Damn idiots that they are. But then again it's my home team, the great West Indies, so what's that against all the other stuff they've done in the past?

EDIT: details of that particular match will be in my answers.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Yash...

Was hoping someone would mention that idiotic match with the West Indies. Thanks for bringing it up!

Damn idiots that they are. But then again it's my home team, the great West Indies, so what's that against all the other stuff they've done in the past?

EDIT: details of that particular match will be in my answers.
Seriously funny it was. How do you miscalculate? I dont even understand?

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Miscalculations happen even in international scenario. I remember in a WC match once Mohammad Rafique of Bangladesh bowled 11 overs due to miscalculation.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Miscalculations happen even in international scenario. I remember in a WC match once Mohammad Rafique of Bangladesh bowled 11 overs due to miscalculation.
South Africa crashed out of the 2003 WC by miscalculating the D/L target

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014

I'd go with not out, the new clause states that once the batsman does not attempt another run and his bat has been fairly grounded, he is within his crease.

The gymnastics displayed by the bail is nothing short of deserving at least ten million YouTube views, but the bail has to be permanently dislodged. Not out.

Correct by more than one person. The umpires decide.

The standing umpires are supposed to confer with the fielding team, but if everyone has left the field thinking that the batting team has won, the result is "match conceded" and the batting team wins. No allowances for returning to play.

EDIT: Mister Duckworth and Mr. Lewis made the West Indies team believe that they had the winning score on a day where bad light and threats of rain caused the match to be called off early. My team was in dire straits (as usual) but they kept going despite pleads from the umpires. The moment they hit the par score, coach John Dyson called them in. Except in the Duckworth/Lewis calculation...the par score is not a win. You actually have to go past that score to win. So we lost. By a run. I remember using certain four letter English words in my car while listening to the radio that won't be befitting of a respectable member of society.

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
remember using certain four letter English words in my car while listening to the radio that won't be befitting of a respectable member of society
I wonder what that word is?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It rhymes with duck however I'm not sure I can use said word on these forums since they still edit minnows...for some reason...when it is a tiny fish that is used as bait sometimes.

Male fowl species might have been a good description however...for the word I'm looking for. Minnows, however, needs to be really re-thought.

EDIT: When I say I'm not sure, I mean...I know what it means otherwise, but do YOU REALLY THINK that we'll be using it that way on here?

DOUBLE EDIT: I am a respectable member of society (most times), so you'd never catch me saying such words in conversation. I was alone and...well, it just seemed right since John Dyson was an idiot.

TRIPLE EDIT: Just for spelling and grammar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread