Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Oh jeez, I just saw the travesty that was cricket on ice.

That was, I will have to say, the worst display of cricket ever. And I've seen a LOT of these in my life.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
- The batsmen set off for a sharp run. At the striker's end, the man stretches out as much as he can and grounds his bat behind the line, but loses his grip. The bat slips away from him and the stumps are broken with no part of his actual body grounded. The fielding team appeals. Is he out?
As stated - Yes he would be. The new law that gives the batsmen protection requires that the batsman be running or diving. Just stretching out, grounding the bat and then raising it does not offer the batsmen protection.

A bowler delivers a ball, which hits the stumps. The bail does a full somersault in the air and then for reasons unknown to physics, lands right back into the groove. Is the batsman out?
No they are not out - The law requires the 'complete' removal of the bail, and further states temporary stuff like this does not count.

- With high winds blowing, the umpires decide to dispense with the bails, as they are being blown off much too often. How will the stumps be considered broken?
Umpires satisfied the stumps have been hit 'legally' (by ball, by hand holding the ball)

- The scoreboard on the ground shows that the batting team has one run to win. The last pair, after surviving a few testing deliveries, scramble a single and celebrate. Hands are shaken, hugs are given, and whatnot. Everyone leaves the field, until it comes to light that according to the two official scorers, the match is actually tied and there is still one further run to win. The coach and fielding captain come to you and the match referee. There is still a lot of time (and possible overs) to go. What now?
First - you shoot the scoreboard attendant. Then, unless one team concedes, you head back out and play.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
1. If he is legitimately attempting to get back in his crease and his momentum is toward that then he is not out. I stand by my original call of not out.

2 and 3. Yes.

4. Leaving the field of play means the match has been conceded. If it happened before everyone left the field, well okay play on. And yeah, shoot the scoreboard attendant. I suppose in the spirit of the game you can play on but you'd need the consent of the opposing captain.
Interesting story...there was a match played years ago...the players were annoyed at the umpiring decisions...the batsmen started hitting him with their bats, the fielders took the stumps out and started beating him with those. I think it was the first and only ever match to be abandoned due to the death of an umpire caused intentionally by the players.

EDIT: Going to let the current ball tampering issue die down and then will post a few related to ball and pitch conditions.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The fielding team has had a tough sandpaper-type material added into their trousers, just where they rub the ball to be shined. As in...sewed as part of the design. Is this legal?

You think that the condition of the ball has been altered illegally. What action do you take?

The batsman hits a weak straight drive and immediately sets off for a run. Being an ex-cricketer, you immediately throw your arm out and grab the ball on the full. Instinct, as it were. It has not yet bounced. The bowler runs back to you and takes the ball and appeals for a catch. What is your decision? (The ball has not been grounded after hitting the bat yet.)

What if the bowler from the above scenario breaks the stumps with said ball at the non-striker's end? The batsmen are in mid pitch.

EDIT: only here every few months...but better than nothing I suppose...

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The fielding team has had a tough sandpaper-type material added into their trousers, just where they rub the ball to be shined. As in...sewed as part of the design. Is this legal?
No it isn’t. I remember Faf du Plessis was once charged for a similar thing when he tampered with the ball using the zip in his trouser.

They are allowed to wear it, but if they use it to change the condition, well 5 runs to the opposite team.

You think that the condition of the ball has been altered illegally. What action do you take?
I first report it to the match referee. Then get a ball, with a similar condition (before tampering hapeneed), give 5 penalty runs to the other team, and get on with it.

The batsman hits a weak straight drive and immediately sets off for a run. Being an ex-cricketer, you immediately throw your arm out and grab the ball on the full. Instinct, as it were. It has not yet bounced. The bowler runs back to you and takes the ball and appeals for a catch. What is your decision? (The ball has not been grounded after hitting the bat yet.)
First of all, what the hell kind of instinct that is? Dead Ball.

What if the bowler from the above scenario breaks the stumps with said ball at the non-striker's end? The batsmen are in mid pitch.
Dead Ball. And I seriously need to stop getting in the way of the ball.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Umpires taking catches have happened often. Maybe not in international matches but it happens more often than you think in lesser leagues.

I refer you to...I think it was New Zealand who had a kit made just for shining the ball to reverse swing. Maybe about 7 or 8 years ago...

It's always nice to be back...I'm not here as much as I should be...

EDIT: Happened with Chandimal the other day...but it was handled pretty okay except that they didn't play for 2 hours...imagine a little sugar sweet can throw a game...

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
1. They are well within their rights to wear the kit. And actually, they can "sort of" use it when rubbing the ball. It will be up to you as the umpire to determine fair and unfair play.

2. Absolutely correct. But also inform both captains as well.

3. As an umpire, there are times when you can be involved in play. Since in this case you accidentally caught the ball I would say dead ball.

4. See above.

EDIT: It is a One Day match. The batsman hits an amazing pull shot. Your colleague at square leg cannot get out of the way in time. He jumps, but at the same time the extra ball in his pocket flies out (again, physics be damned). Two balls are now in front of a fielder, who catches one. He appeals. What now?

DOUBLE EDIT: This is where two balls are used, one at each end.

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
It is a One Day match. The batsman hits an amazing pull shot. Your colleague at square leg cannot get out of the way in time. He jumps, but at the same time the extra ball in his pocket flies out (again, physics be damned). Two balls are now in front of a fielder, who catches one. He appeals. What now
Dead ball.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
1. There is a fielder who is obviously hurt and cannot continue. You have seen him try to get the ball on multiple occasions and you have seen him fail miserably at that prospect. You know that the team has no further reserve staff and you inform the captain that his fielder is hurt. The captain says that he knows but he has no other choice unless you let the injured player off. He begs you to let him field with 10 men so he can take his injured player off. What now?

2. In a tied T20 match it goes into a Super Over. Do you and your colleague switch ends?

3. You have signaled a four. On the day's highlight package it shows that the ball actually hit the rope on the full so it should have been six. What to do now?

4. The sight screen on one end is malfunctioning. The batsmen claim to be having trouble seeing the ball as a result. The batting team coach and captain come to you at a break and ask if they can have all the overs bowled at the other end. What do you tell them?

5. In the process of fielding, a player runs right into you and knocks you down. He gets the ball and throws it at the stumps, scoring a direct hit. But in the process of picking yourself up you did not see. There is no TV replay and your colleague at square leg cannot say for certain. What is your ruling?

EDIT: These have no right or wrong answers...I want opinions...

DOUBLE EDIT: I have seen 2 and 3 happen.

Last edited:

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
1. There is a fielder who is obviously hurt and cannot continue. You have seen him try to get the ball on multiple occasions and you have seen him fail miserably at that prospect. You know that the team has no further reserve staff and you inform the captain that his fielder is hurt. The captain says that he knows but he has no other choice unless you let the injured player off. He begs you to let him field with 10 men so he can take his injured player off. What now?
To be honest in hindsight wouldn't have let them start the game in the first place without having brought a reserve to the game.
If he is injured and not really useful in the field anyway then no point exacerbating his injury by leaving him on, might as well ask him to go off.

2. In a tied T20 match it goes into a Super Over. Do you and your colleague switch ends?
I'm not sure what the significance of this is. If umpires normally change ends every over, this is a new over so for me it would be no different, regardless of whether it's a super over or not.

3. You have signaled a four. On the day's highlight package it shows that the ball actually hit the rope on the full so it should have been six. What to do now?
Other decisions such as lbw appeals are subject to human error and can be left incorrect unless the third umpire is brought in so this is no different in my opinion. Initial signal stands.

4. The sight screen on one end is malfunctioning. The batsmen claim to be having trouble seeing the ball as a result. The batting team coach and captain come to you at a break and ask if they can have all the overs bowled at the other end. What do you tell them?
Consult the groundsman and ask him what can be done about the sight screen. If nothing can be done immediately then play would have to be suspended until it can be fixed.

5. In the process of fielding, a player runs right into you and knocks you down. He gets the ball and throws it at the stumps, scoring a direct hit. But in the process of picking yourself up you did not see. There is no TV replay and your colleague at square leg cannot say for certain. What is your ruling?
There is no way an umpire can give something out without being absolutely certain. If in doubt, not out.

Users who are viewing this thread