Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
1. The injured player has to be taken off. Not within the Spirit of the Game for either captain to allow a player who is so obviously injured to continue. The fielding team can continue with 10 men, although a substitute fielder can come from anywhere, even the opposing team or the spectators, without needing to be named in the team list (may need the match referee's consent, depending on the format being played.)

2. Not the usual switching after each over is what I meant. And it's not even switching ends. Once an umpire is at end A, he stays at end A all game. He just stands at square leg every other over, but it's still end A. In first class matches, umpires are to switch ends after each team has completed one innings. So after both teams have batted, umpire 1 switches from end A to end B and vice versa. In T20s, each team will have completed one innings if it goes to a Super Over. The question was, will umpire 1 go to end B and vice versa? The answer is no, end switching is not applicable in T20s. (But I have seen it happen, oddly enough.) The Super Over actually has quite a lot of interesting little rules and quirks that I might use here one day.

3. Initial signal indeed stands. (Again, I have seen otherwise happen, with the explanation coming at the start of play the next day.)

4. Agreed. Suspend play until it can be fixed and speak to the groundsman. If anything, they can probably use one of the tarps used for covering the pitch and drape it over the screen. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to arrange that. Sponsors be damned.

5. Agreed.

Leaving some.

1. The striker hits the ball into the outfield and sets off. They run one and are on the way toward a second when a spectator runs onto the field and disrupts play. You naturally signal dead ball. How many runs are scored and which ends do the initial striker and non-striker return to? (This is a two-scenario answer, actually.)

2. In a T20 match, due to a couple of wides earlier in the over, you have unfortunately miscounted and allow a seventh (legal) ball. You realise your error just as the bowler is in his delivery stride. The bowler proceeds to deliver an above-waist full toss, which the batsman hits to the boundary. What happens now?

3.1. A batsman defends a ball. It rebounds off of his boot and begins to head for the stumps. Off-balance, he one-handedly swipes at the ball with his bat, only succeeding in getting the outer portion and sending it into the waiting hands of a fielder. They appeal. Is it out?
3.2. Suppose the batsman swipes at it with his free hand. Everything else in 3.1 applies.
3.3 Suppose the batsman swipes at it with his boot. Everything else in 3.1 applies.
3.4. Suppose the ball had hit the ground and not the boot. Everything else in 3.1 applies.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
1. The striker hits the ball into the outfield and sets off. They run one and are on the way toward a second when a spectator runs onto the field and disrupts play. You naturally signal dead ball. How many runs are scored and which ends do the initial striker and non-striker return to? (This is a two-scenario answer, actually.)
Interesting one. If play was active up until the spectator ran onto the field then I think it'd just be the one run to the batsman that scored it, and he would be at non-strikers end for the next ball.

2. In a T20 match, due to a couple of wides earlier in the over, you have unfortunately miscounted and allow a seventh (legal) ball. You realise your error just as the bowler is in his delivery stride. The bowler proceeds to deliver an above-waist full toss, which the batsman hits to the boundary. What happens now?
Since the umpire didn't call over before the ball was bowled, the ball counts as soon it is bowled. So despite the mistake the runs do count I reckon.

Last one is tricky might give a better stab at it later...
3.1. A batsman defends a ball. It rebounds off of his boot and begins to head for the stumps. Off-balance, he one-handedly swipes at the ball with his bat, only succeeding in getting the outer portion and sending it into the waiting hands of a fielder. They appeal. Is it out?
Hmm well the ball is still live when the batsmen attempts to use his bat to protect his wicket, otherwise he wouldn't have to do so in the first place. So the question is, does the ball become dead after he has succeeded in doing this?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Answering a question with a question Loco, bad on you...the ball is still live. For all scenarios.

As to number 2...it's a no-ball isn't it? Above waist full ball...

El Loco

ENG....
Answering a question with a question Loco, bad on you...the ball is still live. For all scenarios.
Oh I see. In which case if the ball is still live then I'd give it out.

As to number 2...it's a no-ball isn't it? Above waist full ball...
Right I missed that detail. If the ball counts then the runs count, added with the extras for the no-ball and another free hit.

3.2. Suppose the batsman swipes at it with his free hand. Everything else in 3.1 applies.
If the hand is free and not in contact with the bat then he can't be caught out I don't think. But I presume he would be given out for handling the ball.
3.3 Suppose the batsman swipes at it with his boot. Everything else in 3.1 applies.
No bat contact, not out.
3.4. Suppose the ball had hit the ground and not the boot. Everything else in 3.1 applies.
If the ball comes off the bat then he can be caught out.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Giving this until Sunday. Loco, thanks much for the replies.

EDIT: Actually, no. Replies are warranted, at least for you.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Scenario one: the batsmen have not crossed on the second...one run credited to the batting team, initial striker goes to the umpire's end. Scenario two...the batsmen HAVE crossed, it's actually to be credited as a run and two runs to the batting team, initial striker goes back to his batting end. It's in the Laws, lol.

Given the advent of technology and walkie-talkies and whatnot, this is NOT supposed to happen (Reference the ICC T20 Rules), however if it does happen and the umpire does give an extra ball, no matter what the penalties for that ball are, the over will be called and a new over will begin at the other end. So no free hit. The runs scored off of the seventh ball, plus the no-ball penalty are still valid, however.

I'd give it not out, actually. Out caught refers to the first attempt to play the ball. In this case he clearly played the ball to protect his wicket, which means he cannot be out hit the ball twice either, or obstruction.

Some might argue that this is obstruction. It will be up to the umpires to determine if it was a reflex or a deliberate thing. The batsman is allowed to protect his stumps by any means, however. Soft signal from me is not out.

Out, caught. May sound like a bit of a contradiction to what I said in the previous answer, but it's not if you think about it a little.

Not out.

Guys...leave your questions for me! I can't keep thinking up these scenarios forever...but just maybe we can push to make this bigger than it is now...

Last edited:

El Loco

ENG....
Guys...leave your questions for me! I can't keep thinking up these scenarios forever...but just maybe we can push to make this bigger than it is now...
Props for keeping this live it's one of my favourite threads.
If anything crosses my mind I'll be sure to post it here. If you could quiz us on some more trivia from the Wisden Dictionary of Cricket in the meantime though that would be great too!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
In a Test match, you unfortunately allow a seventh ball to be bowled. As the bowler runs in (not in the delivery stride yet), you signal dead ball because you realised your mistake. What now?

(Just leaving one at the moment because I want to share the time the Trinidadian fast bowler Mervyn Dillon got struck by a freak bolt of lightning while batting during a wonderful clear blue sky period in a local first class match. Google it, it's true. Truth is stranger than fiction.)

El Loco

ENG....
In a Test match, you unfortunately allow a seventh ball to be bowled. As the bowler runs in (not in the delivery stride yet), you signal dead ball because you realised your mistake. What now?

(Just leaving one at the moment because I want to share the time the Trinidadian fast bowler Mervyn Dillon got struck by a freak bolt of lightning while batting during a wonderful clear blue sky period in a local first class match. Google it, it's true. Truth is stranger than fiction.)
Not a trick question is it? After stopping him I'd just call the over, admit my mistake and play would carry on.

El Loco

ENG....
Actually no...he's started the run up. Your dead ball call means he has to bowl the ball again.
Ah I see! Had no idea that was even a rule. So the umpire cannot overrule it?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Nope, once the bowler has started to bowl, all you can do is repeat that ball.

Can anyone say which brand of ball is used where in the world? (You're NOT allowed a Google search for this...) Both for Tests and ODIs. Forget T20.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nope, once the bowler has started to bowl, all you can do is repeat that ball.

Can anyone say which brand of ball is used where in the world? (You're NOT allowed a Google search for this...) Both for Tests and ODIs. Forget T20.
Duke in England and kookaburra elsewhere ?

Users who are viewing this thread