Official, confirmed, verified "You are the umpire" thread

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
1. Batsmen skies a ball, is caught and batsmen have crossed. New batsmen comes out and the existing batsman meets him and walks with him. Its a tight game and they spend a bit of time talking. They walk up towards the bowlers end and the new batsmen takes position at the non strikers, the existing batsmen is walking to the strikers end. An appeal comes from the captain for timed out. You check and indeed 3 minutes have elapsed, the incoming batsmen is all good to go but the existing batsmen is still getting ready. If anything, what happens?

2. At the break of a single innings, one day match, you realise that both scorers have identical books, but there is a problem. Both scorebooks say the batting totals say that the team got 210, the bowling totals say 216. You are due to start in 10 mins and they team batting next asks what they are chasing. What do you do?

3. The Laws provide for the umpires to change the ball, call penalty runs etc in the event of whats commonly considered ball tampering. What is the enabling criteria for this? (As in, when can they do it?)

4. A short run call, where the striker, having run 2 has failed to ground their bat at the non strikers end. Which run is considered short? The first run? The second run (having started from outside his ground...) or Both?

5. Late in the day, the pitch markings deteriorating. Square Leg cant see the crease due to glare. Can he go and stand at point? If so what should he do?

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
1. Batsmen skies a ball, is caught and batsmen have crossed. New batsmen comes out and the existing batsman meets him and walks with him. Its a tight game and they spend a bit of time talking. They walk up towards the bowlers end and the new batsmen takes position at the non strikers, the existing batsmen is walking to the strikers end. An appeal comes from the captain for timed out. You check and indeed 3 minutes have elapsed, the incoming batsmen is all good to go but the existing batsmen is still getting ready. If anything, what happens?
I would not give him out.... I think, timed out is given when the "NEW" batsman fails to get ready before 3 minutes....

2. At the break of a single innings, one day match, you realise that both scorers have identical books, but there is a problem. Both scorebooks say the batting totals say that the team got 210, the bowling totals say 216. You are due to start in 10 mins and they team batting next asks what they are chasing. What do you do?
Uhm! Check with the scorers again... If not, tell the match referee about it...

3. The Laws provide for the umpires to change the ball, call penalty runs etc in the event of whats commonly considered ball tampering. What is the enabling criteria for this? (As in, when can they do it?)
No Idea!

4. A short run call, where the striker, having run 2 has failed to ground their bat at the non strikers end. Which run is considered short? The first run? The second run (having started from outside his ground...) or Both?
The first run is considered short.... It happened in the semi-final or the final of 2012 T20 World Cup, when Darren Sammy was given only 1 run because of a short run call...

5. Late in the day, the pitch markings deteriorating. Square Leg cant see the crease due to glare. Can he go and stand at point? If so what should he do?
Ask the ground staff to get the pitch markings right.... Else, convey this to the match referee and ask him to stand at point....

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The new batsman must be prepared to face the bowler within 3 minutes. You can warn the existing batsman for time wasting.

Weird that both scorers would make identical mistakes. This actually was covered in the Laws but for the life of me I can't remember the outcome. I do believe though that both standing umpires, the scorers, and the match referee have to look through the sheets and determine the exact point where things started to go astray.

At any point when the ball is dead. If it's not that then it's at the next break in play.

Only the short run is to be called as such. In this case the second run is short. One run to the batting team.

Of course he can stand at point. Way too many examples to name for this.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
There was once a case in a West Indies Test match where both batsmen had runners. Because the striker has to stand at square leg when not on strike and the now his partner's runner has to stand there too...or something, I've just addled myself trying to think of it...well imagine the confusion, essentially there were 4 guys in batting gear on the field and at any one time there were 2 men at square leg...It was the first time I saw the umpire stand at point and Tony Cozier stated that there was absolutely nothing against that. It was so unusual to me at the time. I don't even remember the batsmen, the runners, or the opponents, but I think that was the match that made me really look up the Laws.

There was also a match...back in the day way before my time but I do remember reading a tidbit about it...that a similar situation happened and all four men ended up at the same end together. Only in cricket...

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
A spinner tells you he would like to bowl around the wicket to a batsman. The way he does so is by coming between you and the stumps. However your usual standing position obstructs his run up. He asks you to take a few steps back so he can bowl. What do you say?

Another true life happening...
During the warm-ups on the outfield it just so happens that an enthusiastic fielder had thrown the ball a bit too far and ends up under the heavy roller that is rolling the pitch. The ground staff ask you to investigate and you find that there is a small depression about midpitch just inside the popping crease. No bowler within his right mind would ever hit that spot. You are sure of this. Can the match continue?

A spinner bowls to a batsman. The ball pops off of the edge and flies into the air. The close in fielder jumps straight onto the middle of the pitch, his shoe spikes digging into it. He has eyes only on the ball, but falls away as the catch is taken. Afterwards you realise that quite a bit of the pitch is upheaved. Do you allow the match to continue?

This one...contrarian...tell me...i have my answer but you say...
A batsman gets a full toss. He throws his bat behind it but is a bit too early. The bat flies out of his hands but hits the ball, which is caught by a fielder. Is it out?

A spinner bowls a ball to a batsman in a close match with 2 runs to win. His partner is backing up like crazy and is about halfway down the pitch by the time the ball is bowled. The batsman shimmies down the pitch but misses. By this time he sees his partner coming and continues along his original shimmy before outright running. The keeper breaks the stumps. The batsmen have crossed. Who is out? Stumped? Run out?

(EDIT: Just made those ones up...usually I need to think long and hard but now I figured if I can't get it without checking the Laws and Rules then maybe you guys need to also...lol.)

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You walk off the field, go to the scorers and they say that there was a mistake, with that wide ball the scores are now level.

If it's a mistake in scoring, then so be it. At the end of the day, official records are the ones that count. So a tie.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Alright, here's one that popped up on a Facebook group. Opinions are split, I'm in the minority.
One day match.

Scores are tied with batsmen 10 and 11 in, the bowler comes in, bowls a ball which passes down the leg side of the batsmen. The keeper takes the ball and dislodges the bails with the striker out of his ground. Umpire calls wide.
So the wide happened first, that generates a result so the batting team wins with the scorecard 9/254 (or whatever)

BUT

You walk off the field, go to the scorers and they say that there was a mistake, with that wide ball the scores are now level.

What happens?

Ill leave it up for a day or two to see if anyone else has opinions.
Even if you don't want to dig into laws etc, would be interested, what do you think is the proper/fair outcome given the circumstances?
Interesting.... I would go with the scorers and end the match as a tie. Or a super over in case of 20-20

Users who are viewing this thread