USA - Minor League Cricket - 27 Team Tournament

Will this take USA to new heights in terms of cricket?

• Total voters

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
1627657547719.png

The tournament will finally begin tomorrow after a hiatus due to the Pandemic. 27 teams will compete for close to 100 matches in this tournament. The prize money is $250,000 for the winner which is the highest amount ever to be given to any sport in America.

The teams are divided into 2 conferences which will have 2 divisions each.

Pacific Conference

View attachment 253743

Eastern Conference

View attachment 253744

The tournament will have some international names participating in Sami Aslam (ex-Pakistan, Golden State Grizzlies), Corey Anderson (ex-New Zealand, Irving Mustangs), Smit Patel (ex-India U-19, Manhattan Yorkers), Shehan Jayasuriya (ex-Sri Lanka, Silicon Valley Strikers), Dane Piedt (ex-South Africa, DC Hawks), Justin Dill (ex-South Africa U-19, New Jersey Stallions) and Corne Dry (ex-South Africa U-19, Atlanta Fire). Aside from these names, numerous West Indian players have also been signed as Wildcard overseas players, including Rahkeem Cornwall (Atlanta Fire).

All the matches will be streamed live on Youtube. Good performing players will actually be rewarded as the best players from the 27 teams go on to play in Major League Cricket which will be US's premier T20 League on the levels of IPL, PCL, BBL, The Hundred. Major League Cricket promises to have even more international players. Major League Cricket to be a 6 team competition.

Since I live in New Jersey, I have the opportunity to support Manhattan Yorkers, NJ Somerset Cavaliers, NJ Stallions, Empire State Titans. I can also support The Philadelphians but I hate Philly overall :p.

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Most names are unheard except four for me. Steven Taylor, Chanderpaul Hemraj, Rusty Theron and Shadley van Schalkwyk. Looks like an exciting prospect this league.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Most names are unheard except four for me. Steven Taylor, Chanderpaul Hemraj, Rusty Theron and Shadley van Schalkwyk. Looks like an exciting prospect this league.
Xavier Marshal, Saurabh Netravalkar, Mrunal Patel, Steven Taylor all have played for the international team, all are solid players. Sling TV and Willow TV have the rights, so this will be telecasted. Obviously 95% players participating are Asians! This could well be a solid league that could pave way for USA’s international team.

Now I know this has nothing to do with making game famous, I wish the Americans actually get interested, but I doubt that.

There is another tournament starting next year Major League Cricket with 6 teams and T20 format. That tournament promises to have international players as well. I think that is the one that has to be used to gather interest.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Yeah he actually is pretty decent, I've seen a little bit of him.

The US isn't going to get cricket very popular, but it definitely isn't as weak as it used to be.

Ali Khan should feature for the Silicon Valley Strikers hopefully. That's his team in the past. I hope Hayden Walsh will feature as well. Shiv Chanderpaul at the ripe age of 40something might still feature in a Florida squad, and if Shiv is there then his son Tagenerine might be a possibility too.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
The tournament will finally begin tomorrow after a hiatus due to the Pandemic. 27 teams will compete for close to 100 matches in this tournament. The prize money is $250,000 for the winner which is the highest amount ever to be given to any sport in America.

The teams are divided into 2 conferences which will have 2 divisions each.

Pacific Conference

1627656904485.png

Eastern Conference

1627657038648.png

The tournament will have some international names participating in Sami Aslam (ex-Pakistan, Golden State Grizzlies), Corey Anderson (ex-New Zealand, Irving Mustangs), Smit Patel (ex-India U-19, Manhattan Yorkers), Shehan Jayasuriya (ex-Sri Lanka, Silicon Valley Strikers), Dane Piedt (ex-South Africa, DC Hawks), Justin Dill (ex-South Africa U-19, New Jersey Stallions) and Corne Dry (ex-South Africa U-19, Atlanta Fire). Aside from these names, numerous West Indian players have also been signed as Wildcard overseas players, including Rahkeem Cornwall (Atlanta Fire).

All the matches will be streamed live on Youtube. Good performing players will actually be rewarded as the best players from the 27 teams go on to play in Major League Cricket which will be US's premier T20 League on the levels of IPL, PCL, BBL, The Hundred. Major League Cricket promises to have even more international players. Major League Cricket to be a 6 team competition.

Since I live in New Jersey, I have the opportunity to support Manhattan Yorkers, NJ Somerset Cavaliers, NJ Stallions, Empire State Titans. I can also support The Philadelphians but I hate Philly overall :p.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Although I'm happy that this is happening in the US, I'm sad that we never got anything close to this in Canada. Hopefully this will give Canada a shot in the arm it so desperately needs

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Although I'm happy that this is happening in the US, I'm sad that we never got anything close to this in Canada. Hopefully this will give Canada a shot in the arm it so desperately needs
They should have just added in the Canadian teams. There are Canadian teams in NHL and MLB, could have added few cities here. Although this is to improve US's cricketing culture and development of players, not sure that would make sense with Canadians in the league :p

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
They should have just added in the Canadian teams. There are Canadian teams in NHL and MLB, could have added few cities here. Although this is to improve US's cricketing culture and development of players, not sure that would make sense with Canadians in the league :p
I agree, they should add Canadian teams.

What I meant is with the Canadian league is, Canada had a longer history is having a decent team, however with poor management and no development at the grassroots level, the game has virtually died out. The Canadian team is a shell of its former self, and it's former self was nothing to write home about.

A buddy of mine was once at an event with the head of cricket Canada, and he described him as extremely self involved. This was around the time that Rizwan Cheema was the capitan and was having issues with management. My buddy said he spent the entire event complaining about Cheema as the captain and after he fired Cheema, most of the team went with him. (Keep in mind, this is what my buddy told me I have not verified this information myself)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I agree, they should add Canadian teams.

What I meant is with the Canadian league is, Canada had a longer history is having a decent team, however with poor management and no development at the grassroots level, the game has virtually died out. The Canadian team is a shell of its former self, and it's former self was nothing to write home about.

A buddy of mine was once at an event with the head of cricket Canada, and he described him as extremely self involved. This was around the time that Rizwan Cheema was the capitan and was having issues with management. My buddy said he spent the entire event complaining about Cheema as the captain and after he fired Cheema, most of the team went with him. (Keep in mind, this is what my buddy told me I have not verified this information myself)
US cricket hasn't been in much better state. The big difference is a lot of Indian investment. If you look at the funding behind Major League and Minor League Cricket it's mostly foreign investors or people who have Indian backgrounds. I think it's probably seen as the big growth market, particularly as the US has ODI status.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Yes, but at least they are starting at the grassroots level which can only result in better players that will eventually get a chance in the international team. Canada currently has nothing on that level

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yes, but at least they are starting at the grassroots level which can only result in better players that will eventually get a chance in the international team. Canada currently has nothing on that level
That is one big advantage but takes money to do that (they're also offering 3-year contracts with a green card at the end to a lot of professionals from around the world). ICC investment would help but when Ireland struggle to host test matches it doesn't seem like other nations are going to get sufficient funding to grow. Maybe cricket in the Olympics will benefit some nations.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
It is unfortunate. Canada had ample opportunity to grow, considering the large amount of Indian and Pakistani population here. Canada was even a part of the West Indies system a few years ago, and that amounted to nothing. I hope they can somehow piggy back off of the US system and try to grow the game here.

If it gains enough traction in America, first. Canada is surly to follow next.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It is unfortunate. Canada had ample opportunity to grow, considering the large amount of Indian and Pakistani population here. Canada was even a part of the West Indies system a few years ago, and that amounted to nothing. I hope they can somehow piggy back off of the US system and try to grow the game here.

If it gains enough traction in America, first. Canada is surly to follow next.
Hopefully, North America feels like a part of the world where cricket could grow given the opportunity.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
US cricket hasn't been in much better state. The big difference is a lot of Indian investment. If you look at the funding behind Major League and Minor League Cricket it's mostly foreign investors or people who have Indian backgrounds. I think it's probably seen as the big growth market, particularly as the US has ODI status.
Lot of Indian investment and lot of Asian diaspora. I do see a few other ethnicity players here and there. I also feel that giving Green Card after 3 years will attract talent from countries who will not get opportunity. Its not far that a player like Sanju Samson or Mohammad Amir or Alex Hales who do not get or will opportunity for their respective countries move to USA and play from them.

USA's team could actually be a WORLD XI team in the future :p

Users who are viewing this thread