Wealey's Realism Gameplay Tweaks

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
So I dipped in and reskilled the West Indies (AI) and to a lesser extent England (me).

A green top in spring at Lords. The AI hasn't tumbled as much as I'd hoped, but it has been decent.

1641403590318.png
I would say I've had 8-10 play and misses in the opening session, maybe more. A few that looked gorgeous as well, big forward defensive and the ball wizzing past the edge type stuff. Had 4 or 5 genuine edges in the session as well, some through point and gully (both of which were vacant at the time, of course), an inside edge down to fine leg, plus some nicks that have thundered into the pad and gone safe.

All 3 wickets looked good, a thin sliver through to Buttler from Powell, with Jimmy just angling one across the left hander. Brathwaite had one that had a bit more meat on it, but they all count. The LBW was a good one, umpire's call on leg stump but given and no review. I may have caught a few of them in the capture gallery, I'll look later if anyone wants some gameplay.

Chase has been frustrating, as he was last time I played West Indies, and Blackwood has a doughnut bat. His 6 runs have all come off edges, no middle to be seen so far.

For all AI players, I reduced their judgement and power to level 5 across the board (so not quite as much as @WealeyH has done), and for my players, I reduced the same stats to level 8. Where players were lower than 5 or 8 originals (typically the bowlers), I reduced them by 3 levels.

For every batting stat for all batters, I knocked 2 levels off, so I wasn't nerfing them entirely, just reducing ability across the board. This has left 9/10/11 for both teams with a lot of batting attributes at 0. We'll see how that plays out.

I left bowling stats untouched, and perks untouched as well.

For all England's players, I put their coverage, throwing, diving and other fielding stats to level 15, and their throw accuracy down to 2. I left their catching stats alone. So far, it's had little noticeable difference.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
So I dipped in and reskilled the West Indies (AI) and to a lesser extent England (me).

A green top in spring at Lords. The AI hasn't tumbled as much as I'd hoped, but it has been decent.

View attachment 260908
I would say I've had 8-10 play and misses in the opening session, maybe more. A few that looked gorgeous as well, big forward defensive and the ball wizzing past the edge type stuff. Had 4 or 5 genuine edges in the session as well, some through point and gully (both of which were vacant at the time, of course), an inside edge down to fine leg, plus some nicks that have thundered into the pad and gone safe.

All 3 wickets looked good, a thin sliver through to Buttler from Powell, with Jimmy just angling one across the left hander. Brathwaite had one that had a bit more meat on it, but they all count. The LBW was a good one, umpire's call on leg stump but given and no review. I may have caught a few of them in the capture gallery, I'll look later if anyone wants some gameplay.

Chase has been frustrating, as he was last time I played West Indies, and Blackwood has a doughnut bat. His 6 runs have all come off edges, no middle to be seen so far.

For all AI players, I reduced their judgement and power to level 5 across the board (so not quite as much as @WealeyH has done), and for my players, I reduced the same stats to level 8. Where players were lower than 5 or 8 originals (typically the bowlers), I reduced them by 3 levels.

For every batting stat for all batters, I knocked 2 levels off, so I wasn't nerfing them entirely, just reducing ability across the board. This has left 9/10/11 for both teams with a lot of batting attributes at 0. We'll see how that plays out.

For all England's players, I put their coverage, throwing, diving and other fielding stats to level 15, and their throw accuracy down to 2. I left their catching stats alone. So far, it's had little noticeable difference.

Be interesting to see what they got.. in my first game with India they we’re 103/3 but lost wickets regularly and snuck over 200. It produces a better game though doesn’t it. After watching these South African tests I can confidently say I can replicate that feel.

On the flip side my Ashes series with full out the box strength teams has been just as enjoyable with the pitch sliders. But with less plays and misses and minimal edges but that was the purpose as I wanted to create petty flat deck.

Question: what is your bowling input and placement set to?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Be interesting to see what they got.. in my first game with India they we’re 103/3 but lost wickets regularly and snuck over 200. It produces a better game though doesn’t it. After watching these South African tests I can confidently say I can replicate that feel.

On the flip side my Ashes series with full out the box strength teams has been just as enjoyable with the pitch sliders. But with less plays and misses and minimal edges but that was the purpose as I wanted to create petty flat deck.

Question: what is your bowling input and placement set to?
I went with the settings from the slider spreadsheet, with a few reductions to spin revs, pace revs and swing to counteract how overpowering green tops can be.

I don't have the sheet to hand to tell you the exact numbers, unless I've misinterpreted what you're asking? :-)

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I went with the settings from the slider spreadsheet, with a few reductions to spin revs, pace revs and swing to counteract how overpowering green tops can be.

I don't have the sheet to hand to tell you the exact numbers, unless I've misinterpreted what you're asking? :-)

I didn’t realize the bowling difficulty was on there? I just mean the release and jump window!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I didn’t realize the bowling difficulty was on there? I just mean the release and jump window!
All settings are on the spreadsheet, AI, bowling, batting, fielding, physics, umpiring.

My bowling windows are release 12, foot plant 15. Spin difficulty is 60.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
All settings are on the spreadsheet, AI, bowling, batting, fielding, physics, umpiring.

My bowling windows are release 12, foot plant 15. Spin difficulty is 60.

Yeah so I found if you went to medium 75 on both.. even though I could bowl idea on your settings that’s when the bowlers seem to be REALLY on top!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Yeah so I found if you went to medium 75 on both.. even though I could bowl idea on your settings that’s when the bowlers seem to be REALLY on top!
Interesting. I set it to that so you could bowl ideal ideal,but it wasn't automatic. I wonder why you found that? Fun discovery!

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Interesting. I set it to that so you could bowl ideal ideal,but it wasn't automatic. I wonder why you found that? Fun discovery!

I found it by accident as I made a new slider set but forgot to change the bowling from medium which is pre set at 75.

It felt like there a sweet spot within that ideal bracket. And as the bracket was so big it was causing the AI all sorts of issues.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I found it by accident as I made a new slider set but forgot to change the bowling from medium which is pre set at 75.

It felt like there a sweet spot within that ideal bracket. And as the bracket was so big it was causing the AI all sorts of issues.
Ah, like an ideal window within ideal, which is only possible to hit if the ideal window is actually big enough.

A "super ideal!"

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@WealeyH I also found out of the box settings but with Striker Timing and AI Run Rate lowered I got pretty good results in ODI matches many play and misses and good variety of dismissals but the only thing I'm interested in is if we can reskill top tier batsmen (your Smiths, Labuchanges, Kholis etc) to do well more times than not and really feel a challenge bowling to them and if we can get rid of the superman tailend which would be more impressive than having star batsmen perform like star batsmen imo!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
How are people finding their tailenders? I'm still having a minimum skilled Siraj hitting 68 not out against me, and a Southee hitting 46 against me. Not unbelievable, but a bit imbalanced.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

View attachment 260908

Following on from my last update, I have things to report!

Firstly, I should point out that I played session one of this test with the old patch, then it updated at lunch time today to the new patch, so there are some differences there.

As promised previously, here's the first 10 overs of the match as Jimmy and Broady give the West Indies a working over in favourable conditions (old patch).

There's some play and misses in there, a few edges, a few wickets, some nice shots from the AI. A good, mixed bag.

As reported, WI were 81-3 at lunch. Chase came out and attacked after the break, he was tricky. Blackwood seemed to just ride his luck, finding every gap without ever looking convincing. He eventually pushed his luck too far, gambling on one to mid-off that didn't work out for him as he got run out. Joe Root came in and took one with some suspiciously overpowering looking spin, bit disappointing. And Chase's was a beautiful dismissal that I've not seen before.

1641487833573.png
And that was tea. Not the collapse I'd have liked, but a good even session, nearly identical in terms of wickets and runs to the morning, funnily enough.

Then things got a bit....crap.

Joshua Da Silva got out in a very bizarre way off Joe Root, and since that was 2nd wicket in 2 overs either side of tea, I just took him off immediately:

Then Mayers got out to a horrible looking caught and bowled that I'm fairly sure would be physically impossible for anyone to do without breaking their legs:

Then, for the much discussed 9, 10 and 11. I would like to preface this by saying that I have pretty much removed all batting skill from these 3 players, #11 especially. Seales has zero's across the board.

1641488436339.png
Not great.

Not terrible, there's no stupidly high scores in there, but still, look how many balls they all faced. Seales in particular was playing like David Gower, it was just effortless cover drive after effortless cover drive, it cheesed me off. These 3 batters were as close to "automatic" as I faced in the entire innings. I reckon each other them played and missed into the double digits, but only to balls missing the wickets, of course. Still, the new cherry did for them in the end.

I plan to do a full 3 match series with these teams and settings, so I'll not be too quick to judge anything. However, if pressed I'd say the following:
  • This was probably "felt" better and more believable than the base rated teams I had been using.
  • The game play issues with Cricket 22 are still present, this isn't a magic fix and people shouldn't view it as such.
I think the best way to describe it is that these reskilled teams present the user with some more interest around what would normally happen, but it'll all happen anyway.

The match will still play out largely as I reckon as if you didn't reskill the teams, but you'll get play and misses and more variety between wickets falling than you would otherwise. That's how it felt, anyway.

For example, I had loads of edges, loads of plays and misses, but they were 90% scripted not to go to hands or cause dismissals due to the wicket chance slider, so it's giving the impression of "balance" and chances, when really, you're going to get what you're going to get. I'd love to see a proper collapse, but I'm just not sure how the game can do that.

To back up my thoughts, I'll give you this:

1641489593257.png
This was my first innings with similar sliders on a similar pitch but without reskilled teams. Like I say, maybe you reach the same destination you were going to reach anyway, the scenery is just a little bit nicer along the way.

I'll see what my innings and their 2nd innings throw up, since I've also reduced England's batting ability.

Irtileaf

Club Captain

Firstly, I should point out that I played session one of this test with the old patch, then it updated at lunch time today to the new patch, so there are some differences there.

As promised previously, here's the first 10 overs of the match as Jimmy and Broady give the West Indies a working over in favourable conditions (old patch).

There's some play and misses in there, a few edges, a few wickets, some nice shots from the AI. A good, mixed bag.

As reported, WI were 81-3 at lunch. Chase came out and attacked after the break, he was tricky. Blackwood seemed to just ride his luck, finding every gap without ever looking convincing. He eventually pushed his luck too far, gambling on one to mid-off that didn't work out for him as he got run out. Joe Root came in and took one with some suspiciously overpowering looking spin, bit disappointing. And Chase's was a beautiful dismissal that I've not seen before.

View attachment 260979
And that was tea. Not the collapse I'd have liked, but a good even session, nearly identical in terms of wickets and runs to the morning, funnily enough.

Joshua Da Silva got out in a very bizarre way off Joe Root, and since that was 2nd wicket in 2 overs either side of tea, I just took him off immediately:

Then Mayers got out to a horrible looking caught and bowled that I'm fairly sure would be physically impossible for anyone to do without breaking their legs:

Then, for the much discussed 9, 10 and 11. I would like to preface this by saying that I have pretty much removed all batting skill from these 3 players, #11 especially. Seales has zero's across the board.

View attachment 260980
Not great.

Not terrible, there's no stupidly high scores in there, but still, look how many balls they all faced. Seales in particular was playing like David Gower, it was just effortless cover drive after effortless cover drive, it cheesed me off. These 3 batters were as close to "automatic" as I faced in the entire innings. I reckon each other them played and missed into the double digits, but only to balls missing the wickets, of course. Still, the new cherry did for them in the end.

I plan to do a full 3 match series with these teams and settings, so I'll not be too quick to judge anything. However, if pressed I'd say the following:
  • This was probably "felt" better and more believable than the base rated teams I had been using.
  • The game play issues with Cricket 22 are still present, this isn't a magic fix and people shouldn't view it as such.
I think the best way to describe it is that these reskilled teams present the user with some more interest around what would normally happen, but it'll all happen anyway.

The match will still play out largely as I reckon as if you didn't reskill the teams, but you'll get play and misses and more variety between wickets falling than you would otherwise. That's how it felt, anyway.

For example, I had loads of edges, loads of plays and misses, but they were 90% scripted not to go to hands or cause dismissals due to the wicket chance slider, so it's giving the impression of "balance" and chances, when really, you're going to get what you're going to get. I'd love to see a proper collapse, but I'm just not sure how the game can do that.

View attachment 260981
This was my first innings with similar sliders on a similar pitch but without reskilled teams. Like I say, maybe you reach the same destination you were going to reach anyway, the scenery is just a little bit nicer along the way.

I'll see what my innings and their 2nd innings throw up, since I've also reduced England's batting ability.
Do you reckon the new patch had some effect on this?

Wealey

ICC Board Member

View attachment 260979

View attachment 260980
Not great.

View attachment 260981

Yeah agree… although that was my point. It just looks better or looks more authentic. It’s still scripted.

For me it just reduced:

last ball smashes
More plays and misses
More varied dismissals
Lower score related to the pitch
Less smashes by AI

It’s just perception.. as the game is coded to do stuff.

A proper collapse is there as they lost 5/15 against me

Users who are viewing this thread