Wealey's Realism Gameplay Tweaks

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
throwback to the days (a good 4-5 years ago tbf) when our fellow comrade Blockerdave raised the issue of Gameplay being scripted and no one batted an eye and all was hunky dory to BA & BA Fanboys.

We salute you @blockerdave

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Yeah agree… although that was my point. It just looks better or looks more authentic. It’s still scripted.

For me it just reduced:

last ball smashes
More plays and misses
More varied dismissals
Lower score related to the pitch
Less smashes by AI

It’s just perception.. as the game is coded to do stuff.

A proper collapse is there as they lost 5/15 against me
Spot on, people just need to be aware of that.

If they think this route is going to completely change the game, it won't.

But it will provide some differences that help a little, even if they're just visual.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Spot on, people just need to be aware of that.

If they think this route is going to completely change the game, it won't.

But it will provide some differences that help a little, even if they're just visual.

I will say it does genuinely make them worse though.. dismissals may be scripted but as an innings they struggle more

Wealey

ICC Board Member
throwback to the days (a good 4-5 years ago tbf) when our fellow comrade Blockerdave raised the issue of Gameplay being scripted and no one batted an eye and all was hunky dory to BA & BA Fanboys.

We salute you @blockerdave

Anyone with half a brain knew that though.. the wicket keeper used to move to take a catch to the spinner before the ball had even reached the batsmen haha

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So scripting aside, I would say that cracking the rating of the teams is the key to unlocking the undoubted potential of this game.

Just had a strong leg sided player crash me over the top of mid wicket his first ball of the inns… another guy I saw his strongest skill was cut so I gave him one short outside off and he smashed it with a cut for 4.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
So scripting aside, I would say that cracking the rating of the teams is the key to unlocking the undoubted potential of this game.

Just had a strong leg sided player crash me over the top of mid wicket his first ball of the inns… another guy I saw his strongest skill was cut so I gave him one short outside off and he smashed it with a cut for 4.

;)

Oh yes

Irtileaf

Club Captain
Good day guys,
Anyone has tried these tweaks about reducing player abilities for the shorter format? How do they affect them? Can we play Odis and T20s with the same tweaks?
If not then how can we create 2 teams. For example India for tests with tweaked players. And the normal one for Odis and T20s.
Or should we tweak players before the match accordingly.

cricboi

Club Captain
Just want to thank all the amazing posters in this thread for these suggestions. Combining re-skilling with the sliders from the other thread combine to create a very compelling and engaging game. I also enjoyed editing certain players to mirror their real life game (giving Rohit a high pull and Root a high cut for example)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Following on from my last update, I have things to report!

Firstly, I should point out that I played session one of this test with the old patch, then it updated at lunch time today to the new patch, so there are some differences there.

As promised previously, here's the first 10 overs of the match as Jimmy and Broady give the West Indies a working over in favourable conditions (old patch).

There's some play and misses in there, a few edges, a few wickets, some nice shots from the AI. A good, mixed bag.

As reported, WI were 81-3 at lunch. Chase came out and attacked after the break, he was tricky. Blackwood seemed to just ride his luck, finding every gap without ever looking convincing. He eventually pushed his luck too far, gambling on one to mid-off that didn't work out for him as he got run out. Joe Root came in and took one with some suspiciously overpowering looking spin, bit disappointing. And Chase's was a beautiful dismissal that I've not seen before.

View attachment 260979
And that was tea. Not the collapse I'd have liked, but a good even session, nearly identical in terms of wickets and runs to the morning, funnily enough.

Then things got a bit....crap.

Joshua Da Silva got out in a very bizarre way off Joe Root, and since that was 2nd wicket in 2 overs either side of tea, I just took him off immediately:

Then Mayers got out to a horrible looking caught and bowled that I'm fairly sure would be physically impossible for anyone to do without breaking their legs:

Then, for the much discussed 9, 10 and 11. I would like to preface this by saying that I have pretty much removed all batting skill from these 3 players, #11 especially. Seales has zero's across the board.

View attachment 260980
Not great.

Not terrible, there's no stupidly high scores in there, but still, look how many balls they all faced. Seales in particular was playing like David Gower, it was just effortless cover drive after effortless cover drive, it cheesed me off. These 3 batters were as close to "automatic" as I faced in the entire innings. I reckon each other them played and missed into the double digits, but only to balls missing the wickets, of course. Still, the new cherry did for them in the end.

I plan to do a full 3 match series with these teams and settings, so I'll not be too quick to judge anything. However, if pressed I'd say the following:
  • This was probably "felt" better and more believable than the base rated teams I had been using.
  • The game play issues with Cricket 22 are still present, this isn't a magic fix and people shouldn't view it as such.
I think the best way to describe it is that these reskilled teams present the user with some more interest around what would normally happen, but it'll all happen anyway.

The match will still play out largely as I reckon as if you didn't reskill the teams, but you'll get play and misses and more variety between wickets falling than you would otherwise. That's how it felt, anyway.

For example, I had loads of edges, loads of plays and misses, but they were 90% scripted not to go to hands or cause dismissals due to the wicket chance slider, so it's giving the impression of "balance" and chances, when really, you're going to get what you're going to get. I'd love to see a proper collapse, but I'm just not sure how the game can do that.

To back up my thoughts, I'll give you this:

View attachment 260981
This was my first innings with similar sliders on a similar pitch but without reskilled teams. Like I say, maybe you reach the same destination you were going to reach anyway, the scenery is just a little bit nicer along the way.

I'll see what my innings and their 2nd innings throw up, since I've also reduced England's batting ability.
I should be carrying this one on today but wanted to share before I got going.

1641811634529.png
This looks incredibly realistic for a spring day in England. Those clouds look.....not fun!

60 all out coming up! Haha

Especially since I've reduced England's batting stats as well! :eek:

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
I should be carrying this one on today but wanted to share before I got going.

View attachment 261217
This looks incredibly realistic for a spring day in England. Those clouds look.....not fun!

60 all out coming up! Haha

Especially since I've reduced England's batting stats as well! :eek:
Love the pro cam view, but not given it much of a go yet, might try and persevere for a bit because i reckon it adds loads to the immersion if you can bat successfully with it.

Love the clouds! Swing baby swing!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Bah. Should have been better, but I suppose in those conditions, it could have been much worse as well.

1641829103601.png
Crawley, Root and Pope all getting in, but only Stokes and Buttler got in and made something of it. In truth, without that partnership I've been in a bad place, though they both played well and got what they deserved.

Frustrating to have passed their score 5 down and only finished 59 ahead, but such is life. You just have to be incredibly watchful, and accept you can't do certain things with lower order players like you can with actual batters. It's been good, enjoyable.

Had to can it for now, but West Indies were 2 down early doors, so there's plenty to play for yet!

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Havent been able to play much recently, but i finally got my fantasy test franchise teams created and drafted. I went through and amended attributes (detailed below) Only played a session and a bit so far in sydney with the Sydney franchise playing Johannesburg. Having reduced i was worried teams wouldnt be able to put up a big score on the flat wickets but so far joburg 70/1 and batting well having won the toss.

Judgement: reduced to 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for mid tier batsmen,6 for elite batsmen

Power: 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for everyone else

Every other attribute was reduced by 2 from the big ant default attributes , bowlers attributes weren't touched, gameplay has been very fun batsmen can hit fours and still hit lofted shots but the lowered judgement just adds more dynamism to the game, lbws feel more achievable and i find you can set them up too. Will post with screenshots when first innings is complete

caprikaps

Club Captain
Havent been able to play much recently, but i finally got my fantasy test franchise teams created and drafted. I went through and amended attributes (detailed below) Only played a session and a bit so far in sydney with the Sydney franchise playing Johannesburg. Having reduced i was worried teams wouldnt be able to put up a big score on the flat wickets but so far joburg 70/1 and batting well having won the toss.

Judgement: reduced to 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for mid tier batsmen,6 for elite batsmen

Power: 1/2 for tail enders, 5 for everyone else

Every other attribute was reduced by 2 from the big ant default attributes , bowlers attributes weren't touched, gameplay has been very fun batsmen can hit fours and still hit lofted shots but the lowered judgement just adds more dynamism to the game, lbws feel more achievable and i find you can set them up too. Will post with screenshots when first innings is complete
Sounds intriguing but what catches my attention even more is the judgment - does lowering it would make us witness AI getting bowled while leaving deliveries? That would be a fantastic discovery i guess which would open up the pandora box for further tinkering.

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
Sounds intriguing but what catches my attention even more is the judgment - does lowering it would make us witness AI getting bowled while leaving deliveries? That would be a fantastic discovery i guess which would open up the pandora box for further tinkering.
I am yet to see that, it just adds more play and misses which leads to LBWs

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just had my first instance of overthrows in ages. Amusingly the over throw didn’t go to the boundary but did go miles from any other fielder, allowing me to garner an all-run 7.

As the batsman was Mike Gatting luckily it was the penultimate ball before lunch and put him safely at the non striker’s end to recover.

Users who are viewing this thread