West Indies in Bangladesh - Nov to Dec 2012/13

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nah Carl Hooper was a better captain & even Gayle was doing fine as a test skipper before he was axed due to that conflict he had with the windies board.

Fact is Sammy presence will always unbalance the west indies test side & if they test side looses him 2moro - they will not miss him one bit.

However Sammy is fine as the odi and t20 skipper.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ha so after 2 years playing the test side with a bowler short in order to accommodate Sammy, the windies decided to change tactics and play a batsman short to accommodate Sammy.

Sammy is good guy, but its obvious for the world to see that he is consistently the odd man out in the test team & the test team can certainly be stronger if they axe him.

Gayle
Powell
Sarwan
Bravo
C'Paul
Samuels
Ramdin
Rampaul
Narine
Best
Roach
and Sarwan to be Name Captain.
I wouldn't Say West will be Stronger team, but it would make it a balance Team. Because we all keep forgetting what happens to WI with our best 11, West Indies were still ----.

Only way Sammy for me in my View. if he should Remain Captain. He Need to stop calling himself an Allrounder and Focus on batting, He can be a better batsman that he is now, But he keeps putting himself as a Bowling all rounder.
Because since he became Captain WI. Win/Loss/Draw have change.
WI past Captains
Sammy 21 Matches Won 5 Lost 7 Draw 9
Gayle 20 Matches. Won 3 Lost 9 Draw 8
Sarwan 4 Matches Lost 2 Draw 2
Ganga 2 Matches Lost 2
Chanderpaul 14 Matches Won 1 Lost 10 Draw 3
Hooper 22 Matches Won 4 Lost 11 Draw 7
Adam 15 Matches Won 4 Lost 8 Draw 3
Lara 47 Matches Won 10 Lost 26 Draw 11

Still for me Narine have to prove himself as a Test Player. Beside New Zealad which was in WI. he was sucessful. So Far against ENG he was unsuccessful. even against Bang. don't mine he got that 3 wickets, still have few more matches to go.

But Even with sammy Captaincy side and Done. I Do agree he keeping back a Batsman and a Bowler to this New Developing West Indies. But the Question is who will take up his Job as Captaincy. Gayle dont want it. Bravo more interesting in T20 Competition, Chanderpaul also dont want it. Which leave everything to Sarwan. cant put persure on none of the youngsters.

For the team. I have change my view from my Previous time after 2 years of looking at things.

Opening Batsmen.
C Gayle, K Pollard, L Simmons, A Barath and K Brathwaite.
Currently Powell have upper hand at this moment. with Gayle.
I think K Brathwaitee should go and play county Cricket in England he is young, he needs to develop more, He is Capable of becoming a Good test cricketer, but needs to go out and play more Domestic cricket, because Caribbean Domestic is poor. as for the other two, they still shouldn't be forgotten, should still be in the picture, incase.

Powell Is starting to Perform, i hope he Do keep on going forward and become a Great Batsmen.

If WI do look into Sarwan Issue. I would say he would Make a Great Number 3. since BC Lara retire. WI currently keep losing early wicket. Which puts Persure on Young Bravo or K Edwards.
The Number 3 Position should be occupied by an experience Player. Sarwan should be that person.

Than it's Daren Bravo for me 4th is the best position for him. He needs to be more consistent and i wish he can.

Backing up for this position should be Kirk Edwards. shouldn't just ignore him. last few matches he may have under perform, but he is still capable.

Shiv chanderpaul. No Need for Word. Class. No one can replace this Class player and i really cant see no one holding this Middle like him.

Samuels - Samuel did make a Good come back, but the Question will be said. how will go on when he become a permanent player in the Team, an how consistent will he be?
I still was thinking DJ Bravo should return to this side. OR give Pollard a Chance to see what he is capable of doing, and this position for me should be Sammy. Polly/Bravo/Samuels/Sammy. amount them who will capable of this spot should get it.

D Ramdin. Still the best keeper in the Caribbean. unless some one can be better?

Spinners Place. Narine(38.80(4)w15), Shillingford (44.79 (8)w29) and Bishoo (39.55(11)w40) WI should never forget Bishoo, it's sad. these 3 along with the new comer hold this spot.

Rampal, Tino, Roach, Gabriel. I dont know, by my Feeling is that WI should look to get back in J taylor.
My Feeling is Taylor and Roach together can Create Damage to Teams, wih Back up from one of the other seamer Tino or Rampal or Gab.

so Basically this would be my balance Best 1 for the field and depend on whats up.

1. Gayle
2. Powell
3. Sarwan
4. Bravo
5. Chanderpaul
6. DJ Bravo
7. D Ramdin
8. NArine
9. Rampal
10. Roach
11. J Taylor
just my take on WI should build they.
Sammy started Something good no doubt. Building the confidence in West Indies. but now it's time to take the next Step. we got to reunite everyone back again. and don't forget the past best player.
K Brathwaitee, L Simmons, A Barath, K Edwards, Pollard, Samuels, Sammy, Permaul, Bishoo, Shilllignford T best, Gab.

amoust them some can be pick along the 11 to make the 15-16 man sqaud and the reminder Be selected to Play for the A Team and i think the A team should play more matches.
got to still remember these player nad dont just forget them like what West Indies Baord have been doing for a while now.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Well done to West Indies for murdering the Bangladeshi batting

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Nah Carl Hooper was a better captain & even Gayle was doing fine as a test skipper before he was axed due to that conflict he had with the windies board.

Fact is Sammy presence will always unbalance the west indies test side & if they test side looses him 2moro - they will not miss him one bit.

However Sammy is fine as the odi and t20 skipper.

Gayle didn't wanted to Captain and Few matches Before the contract thingy he had show it. in many artical, but WI forced it on to him. He have said it's was toooo much perssure on him.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Sammy is the most valuable player in the West Indies team now. Take him out of the side, and I guarantee they won't do half as well. They definitely wouldn't have won the World T20 without him.

There is more to cricket than just runs and wickets. Captaincy, team spirit, and man management are just as important, if not more so.

War

Chairman of Selectors
and Sarwan to be Name Captain.

But Even with sammy Captaincy side and Done. I Do agree he keeping back a Batsman and a Bowler to this New Developing West Indies. But the Question is who will take up his Job as Captaincy. Gayle dont want it. Bravo more interesting in T20 Competition, Chanderpaul also dont want it. Which leave everything to Sarwan. cant put persure on none of the youngsters.

1. Gayle
2. Powell
3. Sarwan
4. Bravo
5. Chanderpaul
6. DJ Bravo
7. D Ramdin
8. NArine
9. Rampal
10. Roach
11. J Taylor
just my take on WI should build they.
Sammy started Something good no doubt. Building the confidence in West Indies. but now it's time to take the next Step. we got to reunite everyone back again. and don't forget the past best player.

With the test captaincy issue i think it comes down to 4 clear options:

Gayle - On the simple basis that before he forced out of the captaincy position - he was doing quite ok. Lets not forget he lead windies to a 1-0 series win over england & . He is not a tactical genius as skipper - but he will lead via his own performances, which was highlighted by the fact that he averaged 10 points higher as captain than his overall career record.

Sarwan - for reasons you stated, he is one of the experienced heads & one fit will merit a place in the team.

Ramdin - probably the best captain in the caribbean based on what he has achieved domestically with trinidad. He is scoring test hundreds a bit more frequently now to merit his place - so once he keeps it up he has to be strong candidate.

Samuels - a bit of a left field option. But his career reminds me a lot Carl Hooper.

Hooper was always praised for the elegance of his batting, but equally lambasted for being a bit too laid back and as a result not valuing his wicket and being a crowd pleaser. After the first 12 year career was seemingly over at the end of the 1999 home series versus Steve Waugh's Australian's, an average at the time of 33.76 clearly did not reflect his potential. However when given the captaincy responsibility on his return to test cricket in 2001, Hooper batting finally blossomed to the level that was always expected of him.

Similarly before his return to international cricket in 2011, Samuels suffered similar accusations. But currently he based on his efforts in recent tests versus England and New Zealand and his all-round performances in the Twenty20 World Cup. If some further responsibility is given to him by way of captaincy, its a tantalising prospect to think how it could further transform his game.

Sammy has had enough time at the helm leading the West Indies team. In the last couple years of squabbles between the board and key players, his captaincy has been like cast over a broken bone. He has given temporary support in a time of need.

However full healing of those issues is almost at the end as the T20 world cup triumph clearly shows and the teams needs to cut Sammy as test skipper mainly (ODI and T20 skipper he can stay as aforementioned) before they can truly make the step up to the next level and start challenging the major test nations again.

----------

Sammy is the most valuable player in the West Indies team now. Take him out of the side, and I guarantee they won't do half as well. They definitely wouldn't have won the World T20 without him.

There is more to cricket than just runs and wickets. Captaincy, team spirit, and man management are just as important, if not more so.

You seriously believe Sammy is more valuable than Gayle?.

I would dispute that Guaranteed especially with the test team. If he leaves the test team i would argue that they would be more balanced and much stronger.

And i would say if the Gayle saga was not sorted out, their is no way the windies would have won the t20 world cup if he wasn't present.

While their is clearly more to cricket than just simply runs & wickets. Those external factors that you give - Sammy doesn't really give anyway. His captaincy at best can be described as putting in a commendable effort to always rally his troops - but is certainly not one that represents such tactical genius or an inspirational aura that one can argue he is worth a place in the team based on his skills as skipper alone ? like former England captain Mike Brearley, who the cricket bible Wisden described as this:

"His batting record for England was inadequate. But he was well worth his place without a stack of runs. As Rodney Hogg, the Australian fast bowler put it: "He has a degree in people."

The fact is the Caribbean Unit have been to showing progress since they defeated England 1-0 in 2009 under the then leadership of Gayle and in the last 3 years, the best talent group of West Indies players have emerged since the mid 1990s.

Coincidentally in the last three years it has also had the well known issues and miscommunication between the board and senior players such a Gayle, Jerome Taylor, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Brendan Nash, Dwayne Bravo. This simply prevented those players and the talent of the present from combining much sooner, which they are now - which is why they won the t20 world cup & can go onto greater things in the near future in all formats.

alexczarn

Club Captain
Man is Abul Hasan batting well! :eek:

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Yeah, decided to watch it and he doesn't look like a number 10 batsman. Although if this is how well he can bat and he's in the team for his bowling, I want to know what he can do with the ball :p

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Wow, missed the game. Checked the score on cricinfo. Must have felt like a slap in the face for the Wi bowlers

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah, decided to watch it and he doesn't look like a number 10 batsman. Although if this is how well he can bat and he's in the team for his bowling, I want to know what he can do with the ball :p

Not a hell of a lot that I've seen - he played a few T20Is, but really what can you tell from that? Just hoping him and Rubel aren't TOO toothless a new ball pair

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Sammy has had enough time at the helm leading the West Indies team. In the last couple years of squabbles between the board and key players, his captaincy has been like cast over a broken bone. He has given temporary support in a time of need.

There was once an artical which Tony Cozier wrote, which was a Great article ,in My Local New Paper in Barbados (NATIONS).
I wish i can find that artical.

He wrote Who WI should pick a Captain. Cozier do not support Sammy, Nor is he against Sammy.

Cozier Wrote (accordign to the best i can remember).

"That Many people do have issue with Sammy in the Team. and it's true, due to his performance as a player, which make him unbalance the Team. So how to solve this problem?
Dont drop sammy right away. But to get a Player our of the PLAYIGN 11 for the past few year to be Sammy's Vice Captain, who will auto take over Sammy's position in the future. unfortunely WI selector are not picking a vice captain who they can say will be the Captain for the future and keep changing it with every series.
Sammy Have Build a Beginning for This New West Indies and a turning point for WI cricket, with the attitude of WI is changing, but WI do need a Captain to Carry forward The Team. and Only way to do this is to pick a Proper Vice Captain with Sammy."

If i find this Artical or if anyone find it can let me know.
But that what Tony conzier have Said or close to what he have side.

Just de 4 captain you mention
Gayle - he Clearly dont wanna be Captain so Captain is out for him, he have said it.

Sarwan - Forme de best option to Captain WI. just my View i wanna see Sarwan Back.

Ramdin -Best Keeper no doubt He do Captain TnT a Champion T20, but he had the best tnt team out there. but he Win. but lost all his T20 Matches when they played the Champion Leage, which i found unfair to tnt. but those were t20, got to see if he a chance to Captain TnT in FC, unless it clashes with WI tours.

Samuels - I dont know why, but i don't Find Samuels to be a Leader. just my view.

A Player which have never Been reconised by WI selectors for some reason or the other. He had Captain Jamaica to become The Caribbean Domination in the region. since 2007 they have won And Dominated FC in the Caribbean, and havent lost the cup since,
He is an Allrounder.
Batting avg of 31.25 and Bowling avg of 24.75
2 Century and 27 Fifies.
along with 1 5wkt haul and 2 4wkts haul and 1 10wkt match haul.

For his 72 Match Career.
Currently now he is 31 Years Old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread