West Indies tour of Australia Dec 2015-Jan 2016

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Unpopular opinion but West Indies should give up/should be stripped of its test status, along with Zimbabwe. Why not give Ireland and Afghanistan (who are actually interested in the format and have some promising talent coming up) a chance? Let them play test cricket for a couple of years while WI and Zimbabwe compete against the associates and at the end of the term, a 4 team league comprising of the two best associates(WI and Zimbabwe included) and the two worst test sides shall decide the 2 teams who get test status for the next cycle.
That will only worsen the case of the WI. Trust me, cricket has a lot of following in the Caribbean and we love our cricket but to strip WI from the test status or taking from another popular opinion to have separate national teams from the WI will not only break the spirit of cricket that keeps the Caribbean as one but also the people's love for cricket. Cricket is the only sport that unites the Caribbean nations and that is why it holds a special place in the hearts of fans. That said, obviously our level of cricket has depleted but not to that level that we are struggling domestically.

Our domestic structure has been quite stable in the recent past. It is just that our board needs to be a lot more serious about the game which is not happening for years now, not even Lloyd could help it. We need to get in those type of administrators who can take our cricket the way forward and not sit back and count on the greats of the yesteryears. Another issue is payraise. If these all sort out, I do not think why we cannot once again dominate the game. We have all the talent in the world, they just need to be sticked by and backed up for long periods. The players need to be heard and responded favourably and we are good to go. The problem with WI is not as bad as it looks. It just lacks the intent from the board's side.

Abhil

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
That will only worsen the case of the WI. Trust me, cricket has a lot of following in the Caribbean and we love our cricket but to strip WI from the test status or taking from another popular opinion to have separate national teams from the WI will not only break the spirit of cricket that keeps the Caribbean as one but also the people's love for cricket. Cricket is the only sport that unites the Caribbean nations and that is why it holds a special place in the hearts of fans. That said, obviously our level of cricket has depleted but not to that level that we are struggling domestically.

Our domestic structure has been quite stable in the recent past. It is just that our board needs to be a lot more serious about the game which is not happening for years now, not even Lloyd could help it. We need to get in those type of administrators who can take our cricket the way forward and not sit back and count on the greats of the yesteryears. Another issue is payraise. If these all sort out, I do not think why we cannot once again dominate the game. We have all the talent in the world, they just need to be sticked by and backed up for long periods. The players need to be heard and responded favourably and we are good to go. The problem with WI is not as bad as it looks. It just lacks the intent from the board's side.
Yeah bro i agree with you.West Indies have a lot of talent.You can see Devendra bichoo turned the ball like Shane warne did.But he is not getting much chane.WI board need to be more serious about the new talent and give them ample time and opportunity to develop.

PokerAce

Banned
Unpopular opinion but West Indies should give up/should be stripped of its test status, along with Zimbabwe. Why not give Ireland and Afghanistan (who are actually interested in the format and have some promising talent coming up) a chance? Let them play test cricket for a couple of years while WI and Zimbabwe compete against the associates and at the end of the term, a 4 team league comprising of the two best associates(WI and Zimbabwe included) and the two worst test sides shall decide the 2 teams who get test status for the next cycle.

I think I support the spirit of what you are saying. That is not to say WI should be stripped of Test Status. However I do agree that if WI are good enough to play Test Cricket, then surely Irl and Afg are too.

bigred

Club Captain
I don't think WI should be stripped of test status, but I do feel that Ireland and Afganistan aren't any worse and so should also have test status.

For a long time, I've been in favour of a 2 division system (2 6 team divisions). It's all been said before, but it would make every test so important. I wouldn't however give England, Australia and India permanent division 1 status, which would be the likely outcome if a division system is given the green light.

PokerAce

Banned
No one should have permanent status, naturally. However the real worry about a two tier system is that the second tier would really struggle for any kind of attention. There would be no broadcasters, no money.

bigred

Club Captain
No one should have permanent status, naturally. However the real worry about a two tier system is that the second tier would really struggle for any kind of attention. There would be no broadcasters, no money.

Great incentive to get promoted then. Similar to the English Premier League in football. All the games money is in that league, which has made the second tier very competitive

PokerAce

Banned
Great incentive to get promoted then. Similar to the English Premier League in football. All the games money is in that league, which has made the second tier very competitive

Well even in the Championship, there is enough for football teams to make a profit. In the second tier test divisions, forget profits, most teams would be down to fighting it out for mere financial subsistence.

Also if Afg and Irl come into the test status as things stand right now, they would get a far better financial boost than if they came into a second division, which was already struggling financially. I agree a two tier division would be the ideal scenario, but I think the drop off from 1st to second would be just too huge.

Also there is no reason why a 12 test system can't work. ICC do need to hurry up and make a call on Irl and Afg getting test status. I felt Kenya in the early 2000s were ready for test status and ICC didn't commit and that has led to Kenya cricket suffering no end. Kenya were Semi-Finalists in the 2003 WC and still didn't get test status after that. It was a poor decision. ICC need to not make that mistake with Irl and Afg.

bigred

Club Captain
Well even in the Championship, there is enough for football teams to make a profit. In the second tier test divisions, forget profits, most teams would be down to fighting it out for mere financial subsistence.

Also if Afg and Irl come into the test status as things stand right now, they would get a far better financial boost than if they came into a second division, which was already struggling financially. I agree a two tier division would be the ideal scenario, but I think the drop off from 1st to second would be just too huge.

Also there is no reason why a 12 test system can't work. ICC do need to hurry up and make a call on Irl and Afg getting test status. I felt Kenya in the early 2000s were ready for test status and ICC didn't commit and that has led to Kenya cricket suffering no end. Kenya were Semi-Finalists in the 2003 WC and still didn't get test status after that. It was a poor decision. ICC need to not make that mistake with Irl and Afg.

I just don't want to watch England play Ireland, Zimbabwe, Afganistan, West Indies or Bangladesh.

PokerAce

Banned
I just don't want to watch England play Ireland, Zimbabwe, Afganistan, West Indies or Bangladesh.

You can't have it both ways. You can't want test status for Afg and Irl and then want them to be shunned in a corner of the test world where they never play the best sides.

bigred

Club Captain
You can't have it both ways. You can't want test status for Afg and Irl and then want them to be shunned in a corner of the test world where they never play the best sides.

Oh yeah I admit. It's purely selfish. When Ireland are good, I'll want them to play England in div 1. I don't want 3-0 test series wins.

Users who are viewing this thread