IPL What went wrong for the Deccan Chargers?

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Tum balll daloge, hum jaane se daalenge..
Tum Khel Kheloge, hum Jaan se Khelenge..

No ifs, no buts, no more agar magar...
No ifs, no buts, no more agar magar...

Go Chargers.. Go Chargers.. Go.. GoGo. Go...
Deccan Chargers.. Deccan Chargers.. Go.. GoGo.. Goooo...
Dale Steyn, Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha, Amit Mishra, Rusty Theron makes it a 5/5 bowling!

Kumara Sangakkara, Cameron White, JP Duminy, Daniel Christian makes it a 2.5/5 batting (considering they re all the overseas ones).

So, Deccan Chargers can be clearly rated a "above average" team. But what we witnessed was a BIG flop show from these boys, which was something unexpected.

Was it the Royal Challengers Bangalore's foolish moves, which broke the jinx or did the Deccan really played hard to break that* jinx?
Did Kumara Sangakkara deserved the captaincy?
What was Daniel Christian's role in the team?
Did Pragyan Ojha turn too overconfident?

These are the questions, which many people do have! But in my opinion, I'd like to criticize the "Auction" & "Signing in Local players" period, which unfortunately happened to be a cream biscuit**, when it comes to Deccan Chargers.

Deccan had an excellent squad, with the likes of local batsmen like VVS Laxman, Rohit Sharma, Venugopal Rao, Tirumalasetti Suman and the overseas consisting of Adam Gilchrist, Hershelle Gibbs, Andrew Symonds etc. Bowling department was "not bad" as R.P. Singh and Pragyan Ojha did their job and won Purple cap once each. But what we witnessed in the auction was Deccan management decided to give up everyone and start from scratch again, which definitely paved the way for their downfall. Even Kings XI Punjab did the same, but they're bouncing back atleast while the league stage is coming to an end, but Deccan haven't. (Leave yesterday's match because Munaf Patel played for Deccan:p.)

On a serious note, they SHOULD have retained Rohit Sharma and if possible, R.P.Singh. Okay, Deccan thought that Adam Gilchrist isn't worth buying, so did that mean that they've got to go behind Sangakkara? He might be a good ODi player, but I'm sure there are others batsmen, who are way too better than this guy in shorter format.

If I were Deccan Owner, I'd have bought Mark Boucher at base price and Wriddhiman Saha at the base price too. The money saved could have been put in for roping in Rohit Sharma & Venugopal Rao, who are playing for Mumbai and Delhi respectively. I do agree that we got to have some big names in the side. But with Kevin Pietersen in the side (although he din't play first season), I don't think buying Sangakkara isn't a worthy bet cause Kevin is probably the better than Sangakkara in all fields, except wicketkeeping. When it comes to singing in the local players, Deccan derailed even in this area as Mumbai Indians roped in the all important Tirumalasetti Suman, whose addition could have been strengthening of batting department.

Not just this, Sangakkara was named the captain, which was a pretty ridiculous decision IMO. Cameron White has a terrific T20 leadership history (5/7 KFC T20 Big Bash titles with 4 in a row and one runner up and one third place. He has never let Victoria Bushrangers go below #3 in that competition), whereas Sangakkara has just one achievement when it comes to T20 (2009 WC runner up).

These are the faulty steps taken by the Deccan, which paved the way for their downfall. I know I'm bit too harsh towards Sanga, but he deserved them.

Your opinions please.

Last edited:

vickyrox

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
They didnt give the captaincy to White Because of these reasons
1) He was not available for the whole season'
2) pathetic form he is in

harrisb

International Coach
Their local players aren't good enough, particularly in the batting. IMO, they should've gone for Pandey and Ganguly in the auction, remember how much of their budget they didn't spend...

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This was the only thing that went wrong,
The DCs lack an Indian star, they may have the best overseas players but the Indians are the ones who make the difference in the IPL.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
The squad wasn't balanced at all.
Should trade a couple of local bowlers for good batsmen next season.

The bad form of Duminy (at least in the first few games) and White didn't help either.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
The squad wasn't balanced at all.
Should trade a couple of local bowlers for good batsmen next season.

The bad form of Duminy (at least in the first few games) and White didn't help either.

Add "absence of Pietersen", more than poor form of Duminy and White:yes

Amar791849

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
They Should have Retained 4 players - Adam Gilchrist,Andrew Symonds,R.P.singh,Rohit Sharma(or) Tirumalasetti Suman Who did Well for DC last season , They Lack strength in Middle Order Especially an Indian Batsmen.

Was it the Royal Challengers Bangalore's foolish moves, which broke the jinx or did the Deccan really played hard to break that* jinx?
Yup..!
RCB's Foolish Moves had the game easy for DC

Last edited:

STLIndian

Club Cricketer
1. Being cheap (leaving 2 million out of 9 on the table)
2. Getting Cameron White instead of ab De Villiers.
3. Spending 900 K on Dan Christian that coudve been spent on, say Zaheer Khan.
4. Inability to lure the local bastmen (Rayudu, Suman).

That last one can be forgiven, the first 3 can't.

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
yes lack of indian star in their squad and no big names in overseas player as well white out of form christian payed him 900 k still haven't done anything for them they should have been retained Rohit sharma and r p sing .

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Deccan diggers.

I can classify they should be 2nd or 3rd with the team they've got. Talk about KP's injuries or worn out, same team for every match, I think they've been less than monotonous in their approach. I would want to think they made a mess up leaving Rajan aside, he's an amazing bowler. Discard his last over wobbles against MI but he's a great bowler for the team.

They just haven't clicked, they were too subtle or they went out with a premature plan every time. I liked their bowling though, it's the best part I've watched and enjoyed of them. Also, the factor of 3 games in 5 matches is a bit of an ask for me. Tough to transform a still mindset in such a quick space of time.

And always has been the haunting of the paradoxes for Deccan. The game against Delhi should've been a cakewalk, thanks to some selfless butter fingers from local players, Sehwag dumped deccan into their coffins. Same with the KKR game.

Where are the Local players? I can't find a guy who's from AP. Let alone that, Jaggi, Bandari, Ankit, Arjun, Jaydev, where are they? They stood with Chipli and Sunny sohal right through the season. No sound of the rotation policy here. Hope to see Ashish Reddy get a chance in the farewell game, as it is, fulfill the absence of Native players. What the hell can you do on the final game anyway? Give the lads a chance. Also tired of seeing Rusty lying face down on the boundary.

Deccan chargers have fueled, fired, but where it rains the most. Simple as. Hope better of them in the next season.

----------

They Should have Retained 4 players - Adam Gilchrist,Andrew Symonds,R.P.singh,Rohit Sharma(or) Tirumalasetti Suman Who did Well for DC last season , They Lack strength in Middle Order Especially an Indian Batsmen.

Yup..!
RCB's Foolish Moves had the game easy for DC

Can't see 8 million shred on retaining their 4 players but they certainly could've retained Adam and Rohit sharma, and had they grabbed the other guys in the Auction, would've been a great blend between the new and the old. But they went for a complete reform, didn't they? Still they bagged a good squad.

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
Hmmm, you guys already hav talked about what should have been done in Auction (about retention), so I would like to point out what mistakes DC amde after auction...

1) Pietersen's absence
2) White's bad form continued :facepalm
3) Didn't us Rusty Theron, Lumb and Harmeet Singh properly
4) Inconsistent top-order batting :(
5)Steyn and Ojha's incosistent bowling. :rolleyes

P.S. - Don't blame SANGAKKARA as skipper, he is a great leader :cheers, he didn't get support from fielders. Bowlers did their job at best. Ishant and Mishra was sensational. Those performances made them back in ODI side for Indian team. :thumbs

khaleel

Club Captain
Hmmm, you guys already hav talked about what should have been done in Auction (about retention), so I would like to point out what mistakes DC amde after auction...

1) Pietersen's absence
2) White's bad form continued :facepalm
3) Didn't us Rusty Theron, Lumb and Harmeet Singh properly
4) Inconsistent top-order batting :(
5)Steyn and Ojha's incosistent bowling. :rolleyes

P.S. - Don't blame SANGAKKARA as skipper, he is a great leader :cheers, he didn't get support from fielders. Bowlers did their job at best. Ishant and Mishra was sensational. Those performances made them back in ODI side for Indian team. :thumbs

completely agreed!!the monotony did us in....when white and Dan dint click,we could very well have given rusty and lumb atleast one chance each to play....i mean,same players every match?seriously???

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Buwahahaha. I seriously don't know whether to hate or love this club. They've outdone Punjab (I support Gilly like crazy) and won three in the trot. Crazy team this. Lol. All at the wrong time.

Users who are viewing this thread