What's the difference between DBC17 and Ashes Cricket? (serious Q)

Bluebagger

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm genuinely interested because if it's any good I'll buy it.

Is this essentially DBC 17 with improvements and Ashes licensing or is it just an Ashes focused game without the tour, tournament customisation or whatever else.

passarapin

Associate Captain
AUS..
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Is this essentially DBC 17 with improvements and Ashes licensing or is it just an Ashes focused game without the tour, tournament customisation or whatever else.

Personally, I think the gameplay is head and shoulders above DBC17.
I've had really entertaining ODIs, Test matches and T20s.
The addition of the licensed players and teams is just the icing on a solid crickey gaming cake.

I think it's definitely worth a purchase.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Its got a lot of potential , but currently is not fit for any Online Play.

Apparently the Offline Game is much better (havent gotten to that yet) .

Once the issues will be ironed out , I`m sure we are going to have a solid game of Cricket here.

kulch

Club Captain
The gameplay is leaps and bounds better but with similar unpolished frustrations like in DBC17. So it's frustratingly fun and better

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You can bowl people out and when you change things in the academy they actually reflect in gameplay. All I wanted.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England

It's far superior to DBC17. It just feels better and more real. That's the gameplay I'm referring too. Some of the shots are quality. Bowling is better too. I've been taking a variety of dismissals with pace and spin.

You can still do all the DBC customisation stuff so fill your England or whichever team with whoever you want. The only thing is that alongside the face scanned players the custom ones can look like members of the crowd have just rocked up for a game. I've created custom Test, ODI and T20I leagues.

Career mode is so much better for having three-day, one-day and T20 mode. In my experience of playing in England, each competition is played in a block.

Obviously there's the usual bugs but that seem to be specific to different versions on different consoles. I play offline on PS4 and at the risk of jinxing it my bugs are commentary, the not out * applied to highest score (But average correct) and the odd shocking decision going in my favour!

Hope this is of help. I'm loving the game having expected and tolerated one or two minor imperfections.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For people who played game and enjoyed, there are videos in which some push shots fly for six. Is it common or this needs to tweaked?

PS: bought the game yet to get my hands on the game. So eagerly waiting to play it this weekend (hopefully)

The_Pharoah

International Coach
For people who played game and enjoyed, there are videos in which some push shots fly for six. Is it common or this needs to tweaked?

did you happen to see Stuart Broad bowling to Mitchell Starc in the 1st innings of the 1st Test at the Gabba? Starc basically does a push or what looks like a push....and it goes for a six. Not to say that its actually a push or whatever...but it can happen if you strike the ball sweetly enough.

Last edited:

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the part on Ashes Cricket, which is partly because I'm a PC player so can't play it yet anyway, but also because I've put in almost 1000 hours into DBC 17 this year and I'm finding it pretty hard to motivate myself to buy another cricket game less than a year after the last one. What I've seen does look good though, so I'd also be interested if more people feel like replying to this thread, to encourage me that it's worth making the leap whenever the PC version ends up being released. For the record though, for all its frustrations, I enjoyed DBC 17 a lot, and I'm technically still going on my career, though I'm not sure now if it's worth carrying on. The new game does look like an improvement from the small amount I've seen though, so I can see myself getting it. I just don't know whether it's excitingly different enough to be worth getting straight away or whether to wait for the start of the English summer once I've let myself have a bit of a break to refresh my cricket playing batteries, haha!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Maybe just re-phrase that , I`m sure you meant AI , and not real people .

I know you dont play Online ?

Yeah I can't fathom why anyone would play a game online where you can just use exploits to win games. (Much like most people can't understand how I play the game either, bowling as both teams)

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
The very Reason I only play in our Own South African Online League , where you can try and moderate behaviour to a certain degree.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the part on Ashes Cricket, which is partly because I'm a PC player so can't play it yet anyway, but also because I've put in almost 1000 hours into DBC 17 this year and I'm finding it pretty hard to motivate myself to buy another cricket game less than a year after the last one. What I've seen does look good though, so I'd also be interested if more people feel like replying to this thread, to encourage me that it's worth making the leap whenever the PC version ends up being released. For the record though, for all its frustrations, I enjoyed DBC 17 a lot, and I'm technically still going on my career, though I'm not sure now if it's worth carrying on. The new game does look like an improvement from the small amount I've seen though, so I can see myself getting it. I just don't know whether it's excitingly different enough to be worth getting straight away or whether to wait for the start of the English summer once I've let myself have a bit of a break to refresh my cricket playing batteries, haha!

If you're mainly a career player I can't comment much as it's not a mode i play. There are additional club formats in this version though.

In other vs AI modes the game is head and shoulders above DBC17. There is hardly an area of that play - dismissal variety, AI approach, crowd atmosphere, animation, that is not improved significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread