who are top 10 attacking players international cricket

chinna_Dhoni

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
who are top 10 attacking players international cricket...

My opinion is:
Shane Watson
Virender Shewag
Yuvraj Singh
Ross Taylor
MS Dhoni
Keiron Pollard
David Warner
Suresh Raina
Eoin Morgan
Jesse Ryder

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Just moved this out into cricket discussion.

Good list - should promote some ideas. Tillakaratne Dilshan is one man who should definitely be there IMHO. And Chris Gayle. Tamim Iqbal and Umar Akmal too. Geez, there's quite a few out there...

In fact I'll just name another 10 :p:
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Chris Gayle
Tamim Iqbal
Umar Akmal
Brendon McCullum
Kevin Pietersen
Kumar Sangakkara
AB De Villiers
Ricky Ponting
Yusuf Pathan

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Hmm, I'll probably have to narrow it down.

India: Suresh Raina, MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Yusuf Pathan
Australia: Cameron White, David Warner
South Africa: AB De Villiers, Albie Morkel
Pakistan: the whole team :p, Shahid Afridi, Umar Akmal, Abdul Razzaq
Sri Lanka: Tilaktaratne Dilshan, Thisara Perera
England: Kevin Pietersen, Eoin Morgan
West Indies: Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard
New Zealand: Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, James Franklin, Tim Southee, Brendon McCullum

My top 10 is in a perfect world where all these players are consistent. My list has no relation to their ability, except of course their ability to attack and destroy, however rare an occurrence that may be.

so here goes, in no order

Virender Sehwag
Yusuf Pathan
David Warner
Albie Morkel
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Umar Akmal
Brendon McCullum
Chris Gayle
Kieron Pollard
Tilakaratne Dilshan

I had to make it 11. I guess that's not really a top 10, but close enough :p.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
No Afridi? If you are ranking them then Sehwag would be number 1, Gayle and Dilshan tied for 2 going off what they do in the Test arena where scoring quickly isn't the objective.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Afridi must top the list. he has only one gear unlike any batsmen in the world and that is attack attack attack out.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And average of a tail ender. Do you know there is certain minimum qualification also required ?

What to do with the average when we consider an attacking batsman. There are not many batsmen who can have both strike rate and average high enough at the same time.

For attack there is only one qualification and that is "strike rate" and Afridi has the best strike rate.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
1. Chris Gayle
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Shahid Afridi
4. TM Dilshan
5. Kieron Pollard
6. Shane Watson
7. Albie Morkel
8. Yusuf Pathan
9. Brenden McCullum
10. Ross Taylor

I like that list. But 'players' isn't specified to just batsman... bowlers can be attacking too. Curious to see what people would list for that - Dale Steyn, Graeme Swann instantly come to mind. Zaheer is up there but I don't know where he would fall in terms of pure 'attacking-ness'.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Yes, what about bowlers?! :p

Roughly in batting order:

1. Dilshan
2. Sehwag
3. Pietersen
4. Taylor
5. Gayle
6. Sangakkara
7. Mitchell Johnson
8. Swann
9. Steyn
10. Mendis

It's the top 10 attacking players. Being attacking isn't enough, you also have to be top (yes I am looking at you Pollard/Yusuf/Warner/White/Morkel). Also I may have shown a little bias towards cricket as opposed to T20.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
What to do with the average when we consider an attacking batsman. There are not many batsmen who can have both strike rate and average high enough at the same time.

For attack there is only one qualification and that is "strike rate" and Afridi has the best strike rate.

Spot on. But most people seem to be ranking only batsmen. Here's my list in no particular order:

Afridi
Gayle
Sehwag
Steyn
Ajmal
Swann
AB
Morgan
U Akmal
Y Singh

Theres a few more outside of the top 10...and who can forget Cook :p

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Dale Steyn - A team of Dale Steyns would probably bowl any side out for 200 with some regularity. In a game where it seems there are a lot of batsmen who can make quick runs and few who can stop them, he is surely the premier attacking cricketer.
Zaheer Khan - The modern Zaheer is quite a sight when the ball is moving around, especially the reverse. Am I talking about swing or his behind? I don't know any more.
Hashim Amla - Never looks like a brute, but frequently manages fast scoring. He doesn't carry much of a "danger man" tag compared to some more full-on batsmen, but his stealthy devastation is surely dangerous. Like a ninja.
Virender Sehwag - 'nuff said.
Tilikaratne Dilshan - Has evolved into a model opener. Plenty of shots, one in particular with his name on it, but is also determined and tough. There's no value in being a wishy-washy attacker, so Dilshan has a lot of worth.
AB de Villiers - Perhaps more brutish than his team-mate Amla, he nevertheless delivers more through uncanny co-ordination rather than sheer strength. His game is so loaded up with organic flourishes of the forearms that you can never quite be sure you've seen any identical shots in an innings.
Chris Gayle - Does anyone makes hitting sixes look as effortless?
Shane Watson - Has that rare combination of timing, power and technique. He can be prone to throwing it all away, but when he gets it right, it's very right. Knows a thing or two about attacking with the ball as well.
Gautam Gambhir - Has racked up a strike rate of 95 in the past 12 months of ODIs without hitting a single six. Another phenomenal quiet achiever who shows how much value there is being aggressive with your feet as well as with the bat. Also right up there in terms of acting aggressive and in-your-face with bowlers.
Ryan Harris - Willing to give a lot; both through single efforts and repeating them. Usually bowls an excellent full length and batsmen are too often surprised by his pace. Also one of the few where you can say he attacks the ball in the field with the same fervour.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
List of bowlers
No particular order

1. Dale Steyn
2. Graeme Swann
3. Zaheer Khan
4. Shahid Afridi - got to say he is one of the more attacking LOI spinners in the world today
5. Lasith Malinga
6. Fidel Edwards
7. Chris Tremlett
8. James Anderson
9. Brett Lee
10. Saeed Ajmal

Not too happy w that

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
i think aggressive players have to be aggressive in both there style of play and attitude....don't think amla qualifies for that.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I think "attacking players" also includes bowlers, doesn't it?

So, here is the list of most attacking players according to me:

Virender Sehwag
Chris Gayle
Tamim Iqbal
Shane Watson
Brendon McCullum
Kevin Pietersen
Dale Steyn
AB De Villiers
Lasith Malinga
Keiron Pollard

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Sehwag
Gayle
Dilshan
Watson (batting)
Amla
McCullum (+)
Afridi
Andre Russel
Swann
Malinga
Steyn

If I had to go for an Attacking XI, that would be it. Big hitters, hostile quicks, aggressive spinners. Was considering MSD or Haddin for the keeper spot, but they're too measured to be considered full out aggressive.

So many openers in the lineup. Had to leave out Tamim for the sake of balance.

Users who are viewing this thread