Win a World Cup or a series in Australia?

World cup or a test series in Australia?

• Win a World Cup

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Win a Test series against Australia in Australia..

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

samzaidi

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So I put a similar poll up in a different forum, turned out it had bunch of 15 year olds posting so the results were pretty skewed. I see that posters here are a bit more rational so I am putting is up here again. Feel free to comment or reason.

rickyp

International Coach
a test series in australia and against australia has not been done for a while now and im sure it would be bigger than a hit and giggle cup

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting question. Personally I would rather win a test series in Australia than the World Cup. However that would be the selfish response. Reason being that were England to win the Cricket World Cup, it would no doubt go along way towards increasing the exposure of English cricket and thus further strengthening the youth coming through. The knock-on effect I believe would be greater from winning the world cup than winning a series in Australia.

However I believe a reasonable percentage of fans in England who are avid cricket fans would rather win a test series, especially in Australia, but the boost to English cricket from winning the world cup in terms of providing far more "part-time" fans would outweigh the boost from winning in Australia. It would however be mighty close, as has been seen by Englands summer Ashes win that has seen a record number of cricket equipment sold this year.

Hmm more I think about, I think both would be a massive boost to Englands domestic cricket, and I will go for the test series in Australia, as personally that is what I would rather watch :)

sid_19840

International Coach
A good question.I would personally go with the World Cup due to the high amount of prizes involved with it,so if the team wins the WC it has great potential to use that to develop their future(if they want to i.e) compared to winning a test series in Australia.

irottev

School Cricketer
World Cup. Good question though.

But if it was a 5-0 or 3-0 win against Australia though, Test win definatly.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
a 5-0, even a 3-0 is very very tough. I would rather win a test and ODI series in Australia, than a WC.

WC will be good if the team (i want) plays against decent-really good teams rather than playing minnows and making it to the finals.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
World Cup, by some distance.

If you win a series in Australia, then you've shown you're the best out of 2 teams. If you win the World Cup, you've shown that you're the best out of almost 100 teams. It just doesn't compare.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
yes, but best in ODI's.

Its actually hard to compare WC and a Test series in Australia. You have more chances of luck deciding your fate in WC than in a test series, that too against Australia in Aus. You make a mistake, and you more often than not..lose a test. In WC, its different. You can have several odd games before running out.

Short Leg

International Cricketer
I would have said a test series. It's alot harder to beat Australia over 5 days then in a world cup where you just need a few players to play well and a bit of luck.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
For mind winning a WC is the biggie in cricket. It's always good being refered to as the World Champions. Most countries rate it as their top. NZ, SA, and India all would prefer a WC win over a Test series win. Also the fact Aus will be alot easier to beat in the future would devalue beating them.

CricketFan999

Club Cricketer
I'd have to vote for the Test Series for the whole 'luck' factor linked with ODIs. If one person plays well and the rest of the team play badly in a ODI then that team may still win because of that person. On the other hand in a test match, more so against the Aussies at home, you need the whole team to be playing well and playing as a team to succeed. And it's my personal view that watching a team playing as a team is far more furfilling than watching one or two people win or lose a match.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
for me the choice is simple

I have seen England win a test series in Australia

I have never seen England win the World Cup

Therefore I would want England to win the World Cup :cool:

wolf

International Cricketer
I would like England to win the World Cup. Winning the Ashes down under would be a momumentual achievment but it is only against one country. The World Cup is against all the countries, and not only would it shut them dam Aussies up, but all those Asians who think they are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread