Winning ODIs

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
How the hell do you win ODIs in ICC09. It is impossible. I get spanked in my bowling and all my strategies that worked in ICC06 fail. Whenever I try and play my batsmen in they get out as soon as I up their attacking or they just go too slow. If I start them attacking from the outset they just go out. It's a lose-lose situation.

What can I do?

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
True, I started playing again yesterday and dominated the Tests but could never get my batsmen to get boundaries even when set and on high aggression.. Ended up on about 198/4. Then when you do get a decent score the AI get real aggressive and you can't stop them! :sarcasm

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Easy guys.

4-5 bars aggression in ODIs, keep wickets in hand till late then unload with 7/8 bars in final 10 overs. Its all about having wickets in hand.

Bowling wise... Always one bar quicks, no bars spinners. ALWaYS.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
I think it's just a luck of the draw thing mate.

What you have to do is focus on taking wickets, not curbing the run rate. If you take wickets the runs will stop. If you try to curb the run rate you'll get smashed!

When batting, pack your team with young players. My typical ODI line-up is as follows

Hughes
Warner
Ponting
White
Watson
Ferguson
Wade
Johnson
Holland
McKay
Siddle

Unlike older players such as Clarke, Hussey they always try to score runs, and always score at a strike rate above 100. I always have Tom Cooper in my squad too, as he's another quick scorer, and scores consistently.

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Do not go no bar spinners, you'll get thumped!

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Isn't this an easy question. Score more runs than your opponent. That's how you win ODI's. :D
:what

Me no get it?

______

@Gazza, anything but 0 bars with a spinner and you'll get thumped.

redmisty

School Cricketer
There's a number of ways to win ODI's, like skinning a cat.

Some folk like to bowl tight and contain the opposition until they play loose shots and get out.

I like to go on the attack, IF the bowling conditions are favourable. 3 Bars in the first 15 or so overs, make inroads into the top order.

Batting: you need to balance wickets in hand with run rate. If you can make a decent start over the first 10-15 overs with one batsman slightly less aggressive and held in check to keep 'continuity', it can work.

also, be mindful of how some players are much better at ODI's than they are at other forms of the game. so be attentive to stats. and its a good thing to have all-rounders, to deepen the batting line-up and give you options in the bowling.

so lots of tricks.

Isura

Club Cricketer
Custom field settings. Put men at third man, deep cover, deep midwicket, long leg. Maybe a 5th guy at long on or long off for spinners. Put one guy short cover and 1 guy short midwicket, both saving the single. And backward point close enough to save singles and boundries. That's the perfect OD field and I can restrict opponents to pretty gettable targets usually.

Isura added 1 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

I bowl normal line and length too. I get more wickets and get smashed less often than bowling outside off stump. 2 bars aggression until the slog overs, sometimes 3 bars to start on bowler friendly pitches.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I don't change anything, just normal the whole way through with every bowler. Then with the bat I start on 4 aggression bars, and move up.

Users who are viewing this thread