RIP World Cup Super League 2020-23 (World Cup Qualifier Jun 16 - Jul 9)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If there's no Super League, the Intercontinental Cup should be back.

Maybe even have it as a second tier to WTC. The matches between full members having test status, and the rest with first class status. Would really help teams like Netherlands, Scotland, Namibia, Nepal, and will also give some test fixtures to Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe.
While I do think a second tier would be good, I don't know if it would help teams without test status to be playing four or five day cricket.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pretty sure Namibia and Scotland don't want anything to do with red ball cricket

Neither do Netherlands, for good reason. It’s too expensive to set up and run.

The sooner we get full membership status for sides without the FC requirement the better.
Post automatically merged:

While I do think a second tier would be good, I don't know if it would help teams without test status to be playing four or five day cricket.

If there’s enough support for it monetarily I can see it being useful. Associate cricketers could get to play in county cricket for one on the back of it. I also still believe that the longest format of the game is a great way to improve your skill as a player but that may just be the purist in me talking.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Neither do Netherlands, for good reason. It’s too expensive to set up and run.

The sooner we get full membership status for sides without the FC requirement the better.
Post automatically merged:

If there’s enough support for it monetarily I can see it being useful. Associate cricketers could get to play in county cricket for one on the back of it. I also still believe that the longest format of the game is a great way to improve your skill as a player but that may just be the purist in me talking.
I don't disagree in terms of skill and development, but unless the ICC fund it what's the point? Netherlands, Scotland and the others won't go on to play test cricket any more than Ireland or Afghanistan have been.

Bas de Leede has got county cricket on the back of his ODI/T20i form (helps that his coach at Durham was the former Netherlands coach).

To be honest, if the ICC were going to fund more multi-day cricket I'd sooner they did it by supporting more test cricket in the women's game.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't disagree in terms of skill and development, but unless the ICC fund it what's the point? Netherlands, Scotland and the others won't go on to play test cricket any more than Ireland or Afghanistan have been.

Bas de Leede has got county cricket on the back of his ODI/T20i form (helps that his coach at Durham was the former Netherlands coach).

To be honest, if the ICC were going to fund more multi-day cricket I'd sooner they did it by supporting more test cricket in the women's game.

Agreed, without the financial incentive I doubt it’s useful and like you have mentioned women’s cricket at the top level could benefit more from it than the associates.

Users who are viewing this thread