World T20 Qualifiers March 2011/12

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
As the most improved Associate nation which has shown serious spunk in the last few years and thereby I thought they ought to be given direct entry.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Yeah and Pakistan have played ok recently and should be given direct access to the knockout stages at world cups in future :rolleyes

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well it looks like the prelim finals will be as follows:

Afghanistan vs Namibia (winner qualifies)

Netherlands vs Scotland

Ireland vs Canada

As I said before there are only two places available.
Does this mean the runner-up (losing finalist) doesn't go through, but one of the four teams behind them does?

Highlander999

ICC President
I really wanted to see Italy go through :( I also wish more of the smaller nations were allowed to play in global compeitions. If not the ODI World Cup, at least the 20/20 World Cup. Don't see the ICC's reasoning behind it?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Yeah and Pakistan have played ok recently and should be given direct access to the knockout stages at world cups in future :rolleyes

For the Associates, it will be more of an added advantage. See, first up they dont get many games and if they play well in the limited opportunites available to them,this could work as an incentive.
Agreed that the ICC has granted provisional ODI status to a few teams, however, they dont seem to get enough opportunties to compete at the peak.

I really wanted to see Italy go through :( I also wish more of the smaller nations were allowed to play in global compeitions. If not the ODI World Cup, at least the 20/20 World Cup. Don't see the ICC's reasoning behind it?

A 16 member World T20 is a distinct possibility in the near future. The ICC wont want that cause there is a real chance of some of the smaller nations bringing down a super-power ,especially in T20.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
For the Associates, it will be more of an added advantage. See, first up they dont get many games and if they play well in the limited opportunites available to them,this could work as an incentive.
Agreed that the ICC has granted provisional ODI status to a few teams, however, they dont seem to get enough opportunties to compete at the peak.

Which is great if you're an Ireland fan but not so much if you support a different associate - especially one who used to be the top ranked one.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
complicated system not helped by the order of matches.

I believe this system is similar to the baseball playoffs in the USA. The IPL also tried it last year. Basically, the system may look confusing initially, but then it tends to reward the top performers by giving them yet another chance.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Now, the competition narrows down to 4 teams. Canada and Scotland are out of the race. The remainder of the matches ought to be a cracker.

Afghanistan v Namibia -winner is through
Ireland v Netherlands - winner to play the loser of the first game

Netherlands and Namibia would want to stake a place in that T20 line-up seeing as they have never been a part of it before.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
if it was only about the qualifiers, then it would be simple, but the competition doesn't narrow down for a while yet. only denmark and oman have actually finished their tournament. i'm well aware of how prelims work, but the fact that every team needs to be ranked at the end of an associate or u19 tournament is convoluted and not made easier to follow when, for example, the third last match is a playoff for 11th.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
That way your are right. Maybe the ICC feels that they are giving the Associates a few more games. But, ranking the teams is not really neccessary.

Users who are viewing this thread