Your Footballing exploits

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haha, sounds good. How many divisions are there for you?

We're in the fourth division out of five, here. We were in the fifth last season and finished top, only losing one game. Then I arrived this season and we're expected to get our second trophy to two seasons. I might stay next season when we are in the third division but I'm pretty sure I want to play in the Premier Division, or at least Division Two. I really really want, and hopefully think, I will play football professionally. It's really been my life for a few years and although I'm academically smart, I'd rather get into Southend or a good football team then ace my GCSEs.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Four for us. Now thinking about it, we just survived relegation last season, and with it being U18's now a lot of teams start to drop out, so I guess the divisions got smaller and we got demoted to Division 4.

Go for it James, mate. If you think your good enough give it a good go and see how far you can make it. Just remember, when your famous I want invites to big ass parties ;) :p

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting to see that Themer has had trials. How many of you lot have as well? I've had trials at Liverpool and Preston but I ultimately wasn't good enough. That was back in the day when all I wanted to be was a footballer, but every boy reaches a stage when they eventually realise that it just aint gonna happen.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've not had trials myself, but I know 3 lads who have had them and got in. The team I played for where I used to live were awesome. We won the league every year up until we started playing 11-a-side and we lost our 3 best players. Those three players got trials at Bristol City and they all got in. I think 1 eventually was let go, and the other two stayed on. Last time I heard anything about them was that one of my old close mates who had been playing for City for a while, decided he had had enough because of the diet, travelling and no time for anything else. I would guess the final player of the 3 is still there.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting to see that Themer has had trials. How many of you lot have as well? I've had trials at Liverpool and Preston but I ultimately wasn't good enough. That was back in the day when all I wanted to be was a footballer, but every boy reaches a stage when they eventually realise that it just aint gonna happen.

When was that stage? I'm 14 on Thursday and still have that dream, where some of my friends are starting to lose the dream. It's going to be harder and harder to get into a good football team the older I get though, so lets hope I get lucky. I got scouted by Nottingham Forest a few years ago, like Themer, but unlike him I didn't get a trial for some reason.

I know a lad that got scouted by Charlton Athletic last season(in my team) but he turned them down as the travel is about 1 hour and 20 minutes around 3 times a week. I don't even know if I could be allowed to do that, let want to do it.

adyhorn

Club Cricketer
One of my close friends currently plays for Tottenham after being let go by Fulham (the club gave nearly all its youngsters away because of money problems). Another plays for Arsenal (he's absolute class, and I used to defend against him).

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I remember that day. Was second grade I think. My first football match.

:p

I'm still hanging onto the cricket dream though...

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Played a friendly match yesterday and despite being so much worse than them, we managed to keep the score at 4-0, when they could be smashing teams at the bottom of their division about 8/9-0. I really saw an insight into the quality of their team, the quality I used to play, and felt a bit gutted. I had a very very good game, not afraid to admit this for once, and made about 9 sliding tackles at the last minute. One was around the penalty spot, he was just about to lift up his leg to shoot, so I slid him from behind, just got my toe to the ball, and ended up hitting the top corner of the bar.

Wasn't my best one though as that was sliding a player from behind(seems to be my specialty) and I sweeped the ball from under the players feet, took him completely out then preceeded to take on two players before knocking a through ball along the floor to our best striker... who messed it up. I'm seriously thinking of moving to the top league next season. I want to play with my friends and enjoy football as much as I can but we only have a few years left. If I move into the top leauge and win that then we go into the Alliance league apparently and there are a few scouts around in that leauge. Needless to say the team we played in a friendly yesterday had 3 Southend Academy players. Dilemma to be honest. Alot of enjoyment and some success or some enjoyment and alot of success. Going to have to decided what I want to do when I'm older. If I seriously still want to be a footballer when I'm older then i'm going to have to move to their division. Interesting. They were third in the top division, we are first in the fourth division, big difference.

Just checked up on the team we played yesterday. Their mens team is in a league that is a feeder to the Isthmian League and if they just so happened to get promoted to the Isthmian League's top division then they'd be one promotion off the Blue Square North/South. On second thoughts, I think I might be trying to get into this team next season.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Jaz, I think the swear filters need updating...

Someone I know was in the Norwich youth set-up for a while but was kicked out for being an asshole.

I gave up on football after four seasons as a left back in 2005.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
My cousin was offered a contract by West Brom. He turned it down though as it was only a year one and he wanted to focus on his studies.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Jaz, I think the swear filters need updating...

Someone I know was in the Norwich youth set-up for a while but was kicked out for being an asshole.

I gave up on football after four seasons as a left back in 2005.

Sorry about the 'flipping' comment, coppied it over from another forum I post on where swearing is allowed. Will edit it out in a minute. You ever miss it and want to go back, Lee?

My cousin was offered a contract by West Brom. He turned it down though as it was only a year one and he wanted to focus on his studies.

Hmm it's a strange one, how old was he? I'd put a footballing career ahead of my studies, which is sad to be honest, and if I was him I'd of taken it to be honest. I wonder how many people would take the contract. Would you, Mani?

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Dunno how old he was, around 18-20. I would say no as it's only a year contract. It's a HUGE risk as you'd have to leave Uni and everything.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Dunno how old he was, around 18-20. I would say no as it's only a year contract. It's a HUGE risk as you'd have to leave Uni and everything.

I thought you meant about 15/16, so my bad. :D

Yeah it is a huge risk if he was in University and with it being only one year then it could backfire. When you put it like that then it's a much harder choice. If I don't become a footballer, I'll likely go to University and haven't a clue what I would choose if the choice arose.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You ever miss it and want to go back, Lee?
I'd love to play in a team again. I'm fitter, stronger and more confident than I was when I gave up. If I went back and made myself a right midfielder (my true position), I reckon I'd do well.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
I'd love to play in a team again. I'm fitter, stronger and more confident than I was when I gave up. If I went back and made myself a right midfielder (my true position), I reckon I'd do well.

Well it's never too late to really join a team, I know people in their late twenties that are just joining mens teams. How old are you? Then again, your quite smart iirc and probably doing important studies. If you enjoy it then it's a good hobby to have, as it would keep you fit and is a healthy option opposed to something like trying to become number one in the world at Fifa. ;)

If you do choose to go back to football then I'd go to a team that needs a right sided midfielder or could do with a better one. Playing in your true position is the best part of football, although some times you need to just go with the flow and play in positions you don't like. Depends on the team situation in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread