Zimbabwe Suspension situation (BCCI to support ZC)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
There are more important things than sport.
At that, this is an unusual sport. We see it all through the year, the emphasis on conduct and sportsmanship. Are there any other sports with a codified 'spirit'? This sport isn't just about playing by the rules, it's about believing in the rules. It is also one of the few world sports that is far more heavily grounded in the international game than in the domestic competition. What we can derive from this is that there is considerable importance on international relations. One should expect the goals of this sport to be very diplomatically inclined.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
The spreading of Cricket is also different to most other sports, through the British Empire.

Sureshot

Executive member
It's not their fault, I've never said it was. But by doing their profession they are supporting a dictatorship, by supporting a tour by them we'd be funding the killing of someone who didn't put their ballot paper in the Mugabe box.

Then again, look at what some Zimbabweans have done. Olonga, Flower, etc. They fought against the government, why can't the current crop? Shows they are weak. Olonga and Flower were/are heroes. The situation is worse now, yet do any of the current Zimbabweans players protest about it in the same way? Nope. Though, I have no doubt that they have been told that protest will result in a bounty being placed on their heads.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
zMario and Usy, Sureshot has tried to get you two to understand, and he's failing. Let me put it in simple terms i would understand.

Mugabe - Bad man! Has been for years.

Zimbabwe - In a terrible way due to the Mugabe

Zimbabwe Cricket - Unfortunate bystanders

Basically, most of the world want to get Mugabe out of power. Mugabe it seems is going no where, and hasnt gone anywhere in many years. Due to this, all countries are slowly cutting ties with Zimbabwe to mount pressure on Mugabe. By doing this everything in Zimbabwe is effected, from money, to jobs to unfortunately Cricket.

The Cricket side of things is extremely unlucky, but basically the ECB have gone to the English Government, and asked could the Zimbabwe team be "blocked," from coming into the country. This way, the ECB don't get too heavily fined as its a Government matter, this didnt really go ahead BUT an agreement was done between the ECB and Zimbabwe Cricket (I'm guessing the ICC where heavily involved).

This means the Mugabe WONT be recieving a penny from the UK, which is the message a lot of countries are trying to send out. Its all about mounting pressure on Mugabe.

Now let me finish with, Zimbabwe cricket are innocent, but are part of a much bigger problem. As Sureshot said, there have been players like Flower, who've spoken out and have tried, but have failed. They are heros, and nothing is stopping the current batch. Unfortunately nothing can be done unless Mugabe steps down.

Sureshot

Executive member
It was the British government who instigated the matter, they would have refused all visa's. The government wouldn't have given them visa's, regardless of what the ECB thought. Brown and the Labour Government have been quite strong against Mugabe and his thugs.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
As they are right to be. Sorry about my British and UK mix up :p

usy

Chairman of Selectors
It was the British government who instigated the matter, they would have refused all visa's. The government wouldn't have given them visa's, regardless of what the ECB thought. Brown and the Labour Government have been quite strong against Mugabe and his thugs.

you watched 8mile too, ;) homie.

Anyways, as much as I hate politics, it keeps me going, create knowledge, and mess up the game of cricket, for sure.

Keep POLITICS out of cricket, for once.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors

Anyways, as much as I hate politics, it keeps me going, create knowledge, and mess up the game of cricket, for sure.

Umm, maybe not. Thugs isn't just said in gangsta movies.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors

You can't in this circumstance, thats what you don't understand.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Bad decision by India, obviously political..

If that guy has been murdering people and has been so cruel. the country needs to be punished. We are not snatching the lives of the players by banning Zimbabwe. Its not life for them. But it could hurt the nation that they are banned, and thats what is needed

BCCI is doing a stupid thing!

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors

Tell that to Mugabe. You don't seem to understand that every match they play, the Zimbabwean government makes more money to kill people with, and to screw up the country. If this is all the world can do to stem their supply of dirty money, then it's at least a start.

As Sureshot and I have been trying to say, cricket is less important than politics sometimes, especially here.

Owzat

International Coach
It's not their fault, I've never said it was. But by doing their profession they are supporting a dictatorship, by supporting a tour by them we'd be funding the killing of someone who didn't put their ballot paper in the Mugabe box.

Then again, look at what some Zimbabweans have done. Olonga, Flower, etc. They fought against the government, why can't the current crop? Shows they are weak. Olonga and Flower were/are heroes. The situation is worse now, yet do any of the current Zimbabweans players protest about it in the same way? Nope. Though, I have no doubt that they have been told that protest will result in a bounty being placed on their heads.

I'd like/I'd have liked to see the likes of Olonga, Flower, Streak etc set up an Independent Zimbabwe or Free Zimbabwe cricket team, based in South Africa. That would not only give the best cricketers in Zimbabwe the opportunity to represent the country in the best way possible without fear of reprisal, but also represent the fight against Mugabe.

South Africa was banned for Apartheid, quite why Zimbabwe hasn't had a similar punishment I do not know. South Africa is much bigger than Zimbabwe, the problem is perhaps racist is nature because the regime in South Africa wasn't black so there were few/no objections. As Mugabe is black certain countries will be reluctant to take action, if Mugabe were white and the the whole colour balance reversed I bet the story would be different

Sureshot

Executive member
I think if they'd have formed something like that, they'd have had even bigger bounties put on their heads.

As I've said before, I'd ban both Zimbabwe and South Africa. Though it looks like South Africa have pulled the quotas system they had in place.

I should also add that Peter Chingoka the president of the ZCU, who changed the constitution of the ZCU so he could stay in power, was refused a visa to the UK because British Intelligence has proven he has political links within Zimbabwe.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Tell that to Mugabe. You don't seem to understand that every match they play, the Zimbabwean government makes more money to kill people with, and to screw up the country. If this is all the world can do to stem their supply of dirty money, then it's at least a start.

As Sureshot and I have been trying to say, cricket is less important than politics sometimes, especially here.

don't want to.

Cricket is not more important then politics?. politicians are corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread