Zim's Mega Test and ODI Patches (Xbox 360 only) Update July 2013

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well been playing/modding this game for past few months and for anyone still playing the 360 version of this game I have decided to release what I have been using to enhance my enjoyment of this game

As usual, I made these patches for me and my skill level, but you might find them suitable for your own skill level or use at least as a template from which to create your own patches.
The patches are as follows

? Test series and 50 over ODI tournaments player roster
? 5, 10, 20 and 25 over ODI tournaments player roster
? Test and ODI default fields (for human batting)

Tests and 50 ODI player roster
Due to core gameplay not handling the differences required when playing the longer and shorter versions of the game for human and especially AI batting, I have created separate rosters

This roster makes AI batting more challenging and hopefully in some situation bat out a full day of test or last full 50 overs in ODI.

Trick was to make AI more challenging but not to point where you cannot get any bowled?s or LBW?s and every wicket you get is a slog to the outfield. I believe I have the best balance I can get with these settings.

I have altered settings for human controlled team so when batting in a test/50 ODI you have to play it as a longer version of the game. I.e. get settled first before playing more aggressive. If you go aggressive from the word go then unless you have excellent concentration and timing you will give chances

Note that associate countries have only slightly lower stats than test nations. This was to ensure some differences between the 2, but also ensure associate teams are still competitive

5, 10, 20 and 25 over ODI tournaments player roster
Trick here was to ensure AI can bat out 20 and 25 over matches, but not score unrealistically high totals.

I.e. if make AI batting too good, once 2 batsmen are settled they are impossible to get out and score ridiculously fast. If AI batting not good enough they simply don?t set a decent total.

Because core gameplay seems to make AI batting time ball better in shorter forms of game note that AI batting stats are lower when compared to test roster. This ensures you are always in with a chance of getting batsman out (including bowled and LBW as well as usual outfield dismissal), and ensures when AI batsman is really set they don?t always score at zillion runs per over and will give chances occasionally.

Timing settings for human batsman are slightly higher than in test roster to give you chance of hitting out more quickly to reflect the nature of shorter form of game

Note that associate countries have only slightly lower stats than test nations. This was to ensure some differences between the 2, but also ensure associate teams are still competitive

Human assigned team notes
I have created patch with England assigned as human controlled team. Note how the batting stats (especially timing) are lower than AI controlled teams. If you want to play as any other team copy over the England batting stats to your preferred team and set England?s batting stats as per say Australia or South Africa

NB - Human batting stats are different for both test/50 ODI roster and 5/10/20/25 roster

Fielding stats are lower for human assigned team as compared to AI teams. This is to make catching more challenging (especially for WK and slips) and it does artificially make AI more competitive when batting as some chances will probably not be taken. Yes not 100% realistic but have to work within confines of the core gameplay and this does make AI bat out overs better.

The Spinners conundrum
Spinners as we all know are the weakest part of IC10. When batting it is so easy to smack spinners round the park, and when bowling unless you bowl in excellent areas with high quality deliveries you can get smacked around also.

To make spinners more effective in this game, I have had to give all spin bowlers high ratings except the Spin rating value. By making this one value low, it ?encourages? the AI spinner to bowl more at the stumps meaning if your timing or shot direction are not good you will give chances.

Even by reducing spin rating, they will still sometimes bowl wide of stumps giving potentially easy scoring opportunities but it is a lot better than default settings.

In conjunction with improved default fields (see below) especially when playing test series or 50 ODI tournaments batting against spinners can actually be more of a challenge.

Spinners - get more than one playing for AI in all forms of game
You may have noticed that in ODI forms of game, where only 5 bowlers are used by AI, it doesn?t matter have many players who are assigned as a spinner are in your team, only 1 will be used if the AI can pick 4 other bowlers who are set as Pace bowlers. Even if player is assigned as batsman only, if their bowling style is medium, medium-fast etc. they will be used in preference to second spinner regardless of their bowler rating

To counter this I done the following to both rosters

? Make every player assigned as a ?Batsman? as a spinner

Whilst not realistic, this means if you pick for AI team 5 bowlers or combination of 5 bowlers and/or all-rounders that have more than one spinner assigned, then the spin bowlers will all be used.

I.e. have 3 pace bowlers and 2 spinners in starting 11, then both spinners will be used. Or have 1 pace bowler and 4 spinners, then AI will use all 4 spinners etc.

I find this really beneficial when playing on sub-continent pitches or any pitch where it states it takes spin to include at least 2 AI spinners

Tests
Test matches are only form of game where AI uses more than 5 bowlers. Usually 6, sometimes 7 bowlers.

When playing test series you should bear in mind that once all 5 assigned bowlers are used then only batsmen (which in my rosters are assigned as spinners) will be used by AI (whether batsman is a spin bowler in real life or not)

To counter this I ensure at least 3 pace bowlers are in AI starting XI, sometimes 4 to ensure sensible mix. Alternatively before starting a test series, change the bowler type of some of the AI batsman to what they are in real life to ensure once AI turns to part time bowlers you are not facing endless ?easy? spin to score off.

Test and ODI default fields (for human batting)
It?s been well documented how poor the default fields are when batting in IC10. Therefore I have created new fields for both tests and ODI forms of game. These are specifically for human batting.

I have tried to make field as varied as possible for pace bowlers
Because spin bowling is a weak aspect of IC10, there is less variety for spin bowlers. As much as possible I have tried to plug the gaps that result in easy runs for human batting, though this is hard with fields with only 2/3 fielders outside the circle in ODI?s

I initially had attacking fields with players round the bat for spinners but because you never give a chance to these fielders they have been removed and plugged gaps elsewhere. Human batting is now improved 100 fold as a result of these new fields and I couldn?t imagine ever playing the game again without them.

Even if you don?t want to try my player rosters you should use these new default fields always

One house rule I have is that to make things fair when bowling I only use default fields also. However if you use custom fields, when using a spinner only slip fielder to use is 1st slip. Using a 2nd to 6th slip fielder results in plenty of catching opportunities as core gameplay cannot handle these slip fielders correctly.

Roster updates
All test playing nations have had their rosters updated (including Eng and Aus). Some associate nations also have new player updates (Kenya, Scotland, Holland, Ireland and Bermuda). I am in England roster so replace me with yourself or another England player (use in game editor)

Installation
Installation of these patches is not as daunting as it might first seam. Basically the procedure to install them is as follows:

? Copy selected roster to your pen drive see this post
? Start test series or ODI tournament
? Save game before first ball is bowled in test series or ODI tournament.
? Install defaults fields to save game see this thread

You then load up saved game and play as normal for duration of test series or ODI tournament. I.e. you never have to reload default fields or player roster for that saved game again as they are all stored within the saved game

This means your 5 saved games can be any combination of the 2 player rosters with default fields loaded per saved game

General Tips

NB - I play with No HUD when bowling and limited HUD when batting. If you bowl with HUD on, you might still find AI batting not competitive enough. In this instance you need to either reduce bowling stats of your assigned team or slightly increase timing stat of all AI teams

For test matches, at the start of each days play I do the following

? Change the commentator
? Change the overhead conditions

How to change commentator and overhead conditions

Update 8th June 2012

• Certain fast bowlers have short run ups
  • AI batting tweaked to be more competitive
  • Human fielding tweaked to make it harder to take catches
  • Test and ODI fields tweaked to make human batting more challenging

Update 16th June 2012

• Human play as Pakistan

Attachments

• test & 50 ODI fast bowlers short run ups savegame.zip
    256.5 KB · Views: 159
  • test and ODI fields.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 5 10 20 25 overs fast bowlers short run ups savegame.zip
    302 KB · Views: 116
  • test & 50 ODI play as Pakistan savegame.zip
    256.5 KB · Views: 98

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
That alot of good hard work youve done for this game. I still play this game too, and have also worked hard to get as good a game as i can. The AI can still never bowl long enough sessions in a test, and i dont like t20's. So for me 50 over games seem to give best matches. Thats why ive been editing for an odi world cup. Wont be starting it any time soon, but since it doesnt look like there will b another cricket game at least till ashes 2013, i see no reason to rush!!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
but since it doesnt look like there will b another cricket game at least till ashes 2013, i see no reason to rush!!

That's basically why I have continued to play/patch this game, as there is nothing on the horizon

timchrist984

Club Captain
Oh, I wish I had an xbox. So the PS3 roster is completely encrypted and 100% can't be edited in the same way?

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Update 8th June 2012

• Certain fast bowlers have short run ups
  • AI batting tweaked to be more competitive
  • Human fielding tweaked to make it harder to take catches
  • Test and ODI fields tweaked to make human batting more challenging

• Human team = England

Pace bowlers amended

Darren Sammy
Kemar Roach
Rusty Theron
Numan Kulusekara
Praven Kumar

Whether these bowlers bowl with truly short run up or not is irrelevent - it adds to gameplay experience when bowling with these players and even more so when batting against them as you are not expecting fast deliveries off such a short run up

Credits to all those members who contributed to the list :cheers

This update also endeavours to make bowling to AI harder (in tests and 50 ODI) by increasing batting stats and reduces human fielding stats

This patch is designed to play as England but might release further updates to play and Australia and India

Jclarke75

School Cricketer
I have found that in the England and West Indies teams (not sure if all teams or just these two), the spinners seem to be able to spin it a mile. I am not using the June 8th update so it may be just for the old one, but maybe you should fix/check it.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
I have found that in the England and West Indies teams (not sure if all teams or just these two), the spinners seem to be able to spin it a mile. I am not using the June 8th update so it may be just for the old one, but maybe you should fix/check it.

I looked into that a long time ago - have set spin value to as low as '5' out of 100 and they still turn it a long way :noway

In all my patches the AI spinners have ratings between 5-10. This is to get them to bowl more wicket to wicket, otherwise they always bowl wide of off/leg stump and present really easy scoring opportunities. Spinners are weakest part of this game, which is why I have gone to a lot of trouble in setting fields, AI bowling ratings, and human timing values to make spin bowling more of a challenge

I think in this game, a higher spin rating means more likely to get edge/wicket/miss than how much graphically you spin the ball on screen :noway

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Update 16th June 2012

• Human play as Pakistan in tests and 50 ODI

sohail

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
thanks so much zim!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
remember unless you are very good at batting you must play yourself in as timing is much more difficult. In fact 6 hitting can be perilous unless you are set which is good

If you bowl, fielding is much harder, hopefully making sure AI is more competitve batting wise

jauds

School Cricketer
For test matches, at the start of each days play I do the following

? Change the commentator
? Change the overhead conditions

How to change commentator and overhead conditions

Hi there

I have tried to change commentators and weather conditions as you described in your post but I cannot get it to worl. I downloaded a hex editor but didn't work.

Any chance you could help by explaining how you did it please/:thumbs:)

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Sorry only just seen this - will take another look this week and try and give some more help :)

Users who are viewing this thread