Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

D

Dutch

I'll be doing a review of the Planet cricket review process............not a lot going on in October at the moment so should be sweet as........

timma

Club Captain
Profile Flag
New Zealand
So I got my game yesterday played it for 2-3 hours before it was late to keep on playing and ignore everything else. To say the least it was difficult to leave PS3 and go to bed at 12:30 when you know you have to be at work in the morning.

many thanks to whole dev team at bigantstudios great work and to my relief it is far from easy and will have a lot of after life and we will keep on playing it for some time (before DB15 comes out).

I will do a detailed impression of what I like and what I think should be improved but to start with only thing that annoyed me at times is super human fielding and throwing should tone it down but these are tiny things.

Great work yet again guys I am sure this will be a huge success. :cheers:cheers:cheers

I guess your officially the 1st person to own the game in Germany! Well done. Do you have any spare copies or did you cancel your other pre-orders?

glenny134

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's not very good quality but I was really impressed when I got caught but the fielder only just stepped on the boundary rope and it was called six.

Last edited by a moderator:

Internomad

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
First of all, thanks to everyone who has posted videos, the game looks superb! However, I noticed that the ball hardly ever carries to the Keeper when a pace bowler is bowling. Also when the stumps are hit, only the bails fall off, you never see any of the stumps getting flattened or sent cartwheeling towards the keeper.

Will these issues be rectified in a patch? Thanks.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Big Ant (and Tru Blu?) don't do review copies. This makes reviewers cranky and give them low scores...

....but then there is no proven correlation between review and sales so understandably Tru Blu don't care :p

At least now that I know it makes reviewers cranky I have an excuse for any poor reviews that come my way :)

Rowdoss

Club Captain
First of all, thanks to everyone who has posted videos, the game looks superb! However, I noticed that the ball hardly ever carries to the Keeper when a pace bowler is bowling. Also when the stumps are hit, only the bails fall off, you never see any of the stumps getting flattened or sent cartwheeling towards the keeper.

In my limited experience so far I think the lack of carry to keeper comes from stuffing up the delivery slightly and/or bowling a slower ball either by mistake or deliberately.

I was cursing at not being able to bowl a real bouncer, only waist high stuff... Then I figured it out quite by accident, bowling as morne morkel I let a vicious 155km/h thunderbolt go past the batsman's temple... It was nasty!!

Also has anyone figured out how to knock around singles in the fielding circle.. Every thing i hit either seems to go flying to the fence or to a fielder and only getting singles to guys on the fence.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
....but then there is no proven correlation between review and sales

I'd question this. Maybe not directly, but definitely in the tertiary. It's a general "second opinion" which people look for, even if it's not their primary driver: reviews are part of the "word of mouth".

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Having spent your own money on something also helps frame a review - rather than have the theoretical 'would I pay $100' for this.

(Yes, by the way, yes I would)

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
I'd question this. Maybe not directly, but definitely in the tertiary. It's a general "second opinion" which people look for, even if it's not their primary driver: reviews are part of the "word of mouth".

I don't count reviews as "word of mouth" and think that over time people have become suspicious of them.

There are some reviewers I trust as I know them or their history, however I certainly favour fan reviews over professional ones.

Lootsie

School Cricketer
I don't count reviews as "word of mouth" and think that over time people have become suspicious of them.

There are some reviewers I trust as I know them or their history, however I certainly favour fan reviews over professional ones.

Angry Joe is a good reviewer in my opinion, wouldn't bet on him doing a don bradman review anytime soon though! :)
Certainly worth checking out on other games though.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^ @BigAntStudios Your signature? Is that based on official figures or just assumption

Nevermind, I failed to notice the word officially. Feels very good to read that.

Last edited:

imhassan

Club Captain

It depends on the pitch and pacer.. I've seen balls fly over the batsman's head and given wides because of height. The commentator also exclaims that the keeper had to jump to stop the ball.

balkeet

International Coach
Ross whats the reason for your signature, is it extravagant response in india?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Ross whats the reason for your signature, is it extravagant response in india?

We shipped more into India day one than FIFA did on day one and they are all sold out*

*sold out means the distributor has not got any left, as opposed to "sold through" which means the stores have none. There are a few still in the stores but not many.

Users who are viewing this thread