The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

S

Satan666

What madness is this? Normally I dont bother with these non sensical stuff but the posts above are just insane, bowling is bowling, throwing is throwing! OMG!!!!

Reactions: War

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Again I will go back to the Ajmal point. The argument was that if you allow more than 15 degrees, then eventually we will get baseball pitches. However Ajmal who is said to have bent his arm upto 30 degrees. Yet Ajmal never looked even remotely close to appearing to be a baseball pitcher, just chucking the ball at the batsman. Hence when we have clear evidence that a bowler bending his arm upto 30 degrees, remains well within the aesthetics of cricket, then why keep harping on a hypothetical what if people then just start baseball pitching scenario.

Ajmal bent his arm upto 30 degrees, yet he never looked like a baseball pitcher. This is clear evidence that extending the present restriction, upto a reasonable amount that would cover most of the present 'offenders' and continue to allow the various innovations. I would not say this if at 30 degrees Ajmal looked completely out of place. However he didn't and no one said oh that last delivery looked like a baseball pitch. Hell almost no one could even tell that he beyond the limit with regard to arm bending. It was only after extensive testing with body tracking and what not that they could tell for sure.

So if one can't even tell the difference then why have the restriction.

No a lot of people always believed Ajmal was chucking for a long time. ICC was the ones who came out and admitted in June 2014, that their method's for testing/judging illegal actions was flawed since the Murali case in 1998 - ICC committee mulls better methods to detect flex | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo & thus began the crackdown on Ajmal & other bowlers in the last year.

Also I don't know about you or others, but the baseball pitches analogy that is typically used I never understood it as a literal reference. To me it was just people making a humorous reference to defenders of chuckers - but saying if the crackdown didn't happen the optics of the chucking was going to get worse in context & dynamics of how a bowlers bowls/delivers a ball in cricket.

Obviously a bowling action would never resemble what a baseball pitcher does in high level international cricket these days. However if you look at some old videos of guys like Tony Lock, Ian Mekiff, Gordon Rorke, S Africa's Geoff Griffin & Kiwi Gary Bartlett who were banned for chucking in the late 50/early 1960s - the original crackdown of chuckers in cricket history - the release point of their actions certainly had a cringe-worthy baseball pitcher look.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Sunil Narine reported for suspect action | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Well only thing I would say on this Narine issue now is that at least ICC are in crackdown mode we known umpires are braver now to call anyone they see with their eyes that look fuzzy to them.

Personally I really don't see much issue with Narine's action - so hopefully for his sake when he gets it checked this time, he does whatever adjustments they say and he is fine for remainder of career.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I know this has not been said on these forums - but all the blogs and chatter I'm seeing is really pushing the argument that this is BCCI manipulation in the Big 3 to target Narine leading up to T20 world cup etc @PokerAce @Aalay @StinkyBoHoon @Samuels @westindies2007 @grkrama @Untouchables666

People/Windies fans although we all are obviously annoyed at this - should not believe ICC seriously is targeting Narine

ICC as most know and we have kept up to date in this thread acknowledge last year that the way they were judging suspect action/doosra bowling bowlers was flawed and it's a been a global crackdown in pretty much every country

Even India called their talented left arm spinner P Ojha

The best I think WICB can ask for is maybe video evidence detailing the testing which shows all the faults ICC says they found with his action

Because if this is really going to be the end of Narine - West Indies fans deserve full clarity on this

PokerAce

Banned
I think people who cry BCCI conspiracy, are going way overboard. They forget India has constantly been banning its own players too. Pragyan Ojha is a good example. Even Harbhajan was banned till he had his action reworked and then cleared, over a lengthy period.

Not only that BCCI has been regularly weeding out bowlers with suspect action at domestic level too.

Like just today, one of the highest wicket-takers this season in the Ranji trophy, Vishal Dhabolkar was banned, from playing any further part in the tournament till his action is checked and cleared. Similarly another Ranji player, offie Ankush Jaiswal was also banned till his action is cleared.

So its not like the Indian bowlers are being spared.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Im sure bcci has its plate full than going after individual players, fwiw narine has been more of an asset to KKR than WI.

To be honest i would also like some clarity on narine situation, cause this has been going back and forth and is unwanted scrutiny for what is actually a good move by ICC.

S

Satan666

I know this has not been said on these forums - but all the blogs and chatter I'm seeing is really pushing the argument that this is BCCI manipulation in the Big 3 to target Narine leading up to T20 world cup etc @PokerAce @Aalay @StinkyBoHoon @Samuels @westindies2007 @grkrama @Untouchables666

People/Windies fans although we all are obviously annoyed at this - should not believe ICC seriously is targeting Narine

ICC as most know and we have kept up to date in this thread acknowledge last year that the way they were judging suspect action/doosra bowling bowlers was flawed and it's a been a global crackdown in pretty much every country

Even India called their talented left arm spinner P Ojha

The best I think WICB can ask for is maybe video evidence detailing the testing which shows all the faults ICC says they found with his action

Because if this is really going to be the end of Narine - West Indies fans deserve full clarity on this

Everyone on this board know my feelings towards BCCI in general, however its utter nonsense to accuse them of this, admittedly in the earlier days I supported the BCCI as the main fculprit in Narine's accusations when he was called up in the IPL/CL. However as I have posted before Narine has always been suspect to me and probably its the BCCI whom have protected him all these years so he can be exploited in the IPL!

As far as I am concerned the WI have the team to win the T20 worldcup easily without Narine, furthermore he is more or less a cheater and a traitor, ban him for life!

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I know this has not been said on these forums - but all the blogs and chatter I'm seeing is really pushing the argument that this is BCCI manipulation in the Big 3 to target Narine leading up to T20 world cup

The keywords here are "blogs and chatter"

Has ZERO value in the real world! "Blogs and chatter" are filled with stories about UFOs and proofs about fake moon landing and 9/11 being an inside job by the US government etc. User beware

I could write a blog about how Srinivasan and his cronies are Crab People who were plotting to take over mankind by driving them into submission, and it would get ten times more hits than a fact driven article about cricket.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
The keywords here are "blogs and chatter"

Has ZERO value in the real world! "Blogs and chatter" are filled with stories about UFOs and proofs about fake moon landing and 9/11 being an inside job by the US government etc. User beware

I could write a blog about how Srinivasan and his cronies are Crab People who were plotting to take over mankind by driving them into submission, and it would get ten times more hits than a fact driven article about cricket.
I wish i could explain this to all the Pakistanis on Cricinfo's Facebook comment section.

PokerAce

Banned
To add to Narine point, haven't people for long, been calling for Narine to bowl sleeveless for ages. Its been long suspected that Narine has been wearing long sleeves to hide his flawed action. So its not like Narine suspect action thing has come totally out of nowhere.

However when those suspicions are proven right, it suddenly becomes a BCCI conspiracy !

Users who are viewing this thread