Ashes Cricket General Discussion

after reading all these post, i assume the poor game-play is mainly depend on AI's playing style... i see lot of videos, where AI keep bowling on leg or against there field setup... so these makes players to score easily and takes out fun quickly from the game... [1] if AI bowler bowls according to field, AI team set field according to bowlers ability and bowlers bowl good line and length... [2] making set batsman (AI and Players) unsettle quickly (making his green confidence bar in to red), by bowling to batsman on his week point or beating & edging them continuously, so batsman can make mistake at any time of the match... if BA implement these 2 points in the game, than it will be more fun to play the game and we all enjoy the gameplay...

^ my above statement mainly depend on post and videos posted in these forum and in social media...

after reading all these post, i assume the poor game-play is mainly depend on AI's playing style... i see lot of videos, where AI keep bowling on leg or against there field setup... so these makes players to score easily and takes out fun quickly from the game... [1] if AI bowler bowls according to field, AI team set field according to bowlers ability and bowlers bowl good line and length... [2] making set batsman (AI and Players) unsettle quickly (making his green confidence bar in to red), by bowling to batsman on his week point or beating & edging them continuously, so batsman can make mistake at any time of the match... if BA implement these 2 points in the game, than it will be more fun to play the game and we all enjoy the gameplay...

^ my above statement mainly depend on post and videos posted in these forum and in social media...
I do think there needs to be more fields for the AI to choose from and fields that are specific to left and right handed batsmen. I had Lyon bowling with like 5 or 6 men on the legside to a right handed batsman then keeping that field for a left hander. When in theory the ball should be turning to the offside for a left hander it makes it way too easy.

They also had two slips at the start of my second innings when I needed 523 to win. I can only think that is because field settings are in some way related to batsmen confidence.

I don't understand what is going on either to be honest, some matches I get lovely dismissals some I get the same crappy slog shots caught infield or deep. Then a game later the AI are nicking the ball, getting inside edges for 4, nicks going over the slips...I don't understand whats going on. Also when I say I don't get nicks I know in cricket it can happen but not for over a 100+ overs of test cricket.

I also play on Legend only.

Generally I don't have a problem with getting more or less edges in a given game - that is a huge part of cricket after all, sometimes it' in your favour, some times it's not.

For me the issue is general AI approach and general types of dismissal.

Even on dead tracks, wickets are still likely to fall from edge/bowled/lbw where batsmen misjudge or the bowler produces a magic ball.

@BigAntStudios have made 3 cricket games over 4 years. It's absurd that we are still having to tell them - not all wickets are equal, mindless slogging in tests has a negative impact on enjoyment.

Do you remember the weather conditions? My last game I made a point of picking cloudy and warm. I probably had more edges off the AI in 30-35 overs of an ODI (dry, hard pitch) than 220 overs of a test match (green, soft). Different teams, pitch and match type but still that seems like too great a difference.
The weather conditions were partly cloudy and Warm. From batting perspective overall its easy to score runs without any risk involved not getting that many edges barring while driving the ball a few occasions where mistiming would result in giving an edge or two for ex : nicked one of Steven Smith when he was well set on 163 but when it comes to bowling against AI got decent amount of wickets through edges although LBWs and bowled are less when compared to no of edges.

The short answer is No. No, you can't have a static/fixed lineup of your choosing in career mode. This is the "Dynamic lineup" feature and IMO the game should've an option whether the user wants to enable Dynamic Lineup feature or not when you start a new career. Majority of people play the game, especially the career mode, to play out their dream/fantasy of playing alongside the established stars in Steven Smith, Warner, Starc etc. It would be no fun if 2-3 years into the career just when you make it to the Aussie national team you see Steven Smith is retired and Warner not in the Test team due to lack of form.

I say let users choose their poison - enable "Dynamic Lineup" and you get regens but risk not playing alongside the stars of today and if you don't enable the option, you end up playing with the same squad/team for eternity a la DBC 14. Maybe there could be a hybrid solution, i.e. you can enable "Dynamic Lineup" whenever you wish. So you can play alongside Smith, Warner & company for say first 8 years of your career and then you decide to enable Dynamic Lineup and you start seeing retirements and new players/regens take over gradually. IMO I would love to see this feature once Stats are fixed in career mode.

Ok cool. That's a decent explanation as to what's going on with it. I thought there was something I was missing or something. I've not played much of the career mode yet...been too consumed with an Ashes series. Guess I'll just have to put up with it. Cheers for the info.

The batting style discussion is an interesting one though! There is definitely styles who cut more and prod more for example.

My main issue is I'm not convinced a grassy pitch does what it should either. The AI just get reckless and it looks and feels weird.

I don't know if there an issue or what it is, it just feels different!

The batting style discussion is an interesting one though! There is definitely styles who cut more and prod more for example.

My main issue is I'm not convinced a grassy pitch does what it should either. The AI just get reckless and it looks and feels weird.

I don't know if there an issue or what it is, it just feels different!

This leads to a problem that is prevalent in all 3 games - literally there is NO explanation of what certain variables mean and their expected behaviour.

i'm not even talking about sliders, but pitch conditions etc. there is no explanation of what would/should be the difference between dry, grassy, crumbly, cracked etc. hard/soft etc. pristine, wearing, worn... everything is guess work. they have implemented a whole new control screen for "accessibility" but not bothered to describe to people who may not be familiar with the game how different surfaces will (or should) affect gameplay.

similarly, @BigAntStudios repeatedly asserted that new animations were not just cosmetic. the implication of that is different batting or bowling styles should have an impact: e.g. one style better for attacking, one better for defending, one better backfoot; one gets more swing, one gets more bounce, one is more accurate... but there is no description whatsoever. if they aren't cosmetic, what affect does choosing one over another have, and why isn't it described?

and again, for 3 games and 4 years we have been asking about stuff like this, and it's never been engaged with.

However I would like to stress this point...

The video I put up of Australia batting in my eyes was 3-4 slogs shirt of perfect on a dry hard pitch.

It had everything.[DOUBLEPOST=1515058777][/DOUBLEPOST]I would definitely agree that I still don't know what pitch is meant to do what?

I first thought Grassy Pristine meant a good wicket with a bit of grass on.

I'm now lead to believe it means grassy all over.

Also go into academy and try to make a total walking wicket. You still can't really do it.

@WealeyH are you referring to the batting mentalities or animations? Batting animations styles weren't in dbc17 though were they?

It sound like a memory issue to do with logos. As blocker said, it's like it can't compute what to do and so they just slog or play a ridiculous shot. It was there in DBC 17 and only a clean install seemed to with reliably. I'm not a programmer so don't know how possible this is though with the code... Perhaps there is an algorithm that looks at bowler style, batter style, type of ball bowled, line, etc , timing of inputs to come up with a chance of wicket % when something in that equation fails to calculate properly it throws out an erroneous number such as 999 and that results in AI doing something stupid.

The more logos etc the less space to store these variables and so it truncates numbers and stuffs up the calc or case statement or whatever...

Maybe custom academy players aren't saving the right variables for batting mentalities etc... Maybe a change was made in the game code that isn't reflected in the academy code between 14 and 17 as I don't remember seeing this issue in dbc14...

It's bizarre whatever is going on

On a side note, whenever I find a duplicate when downloading, I pick leave original... What does everyone else do?

Last edited:
I still can't say I've seen too many slog wickets in tests. However the pull shot onto body that bounces up into the air to be taken by slip (or in the case of a spinner: the keeper darting through the stumps) is something I really want gone.

It was discussed that front foot pull should have gone in patch 1.06 but it didn't. That patch actually did bugger all.

It was discussed that front foot pull should have gone in patch 1.06 but it didn't. That patch actually did bugger all.

There are such lovely looking front foot and back foot glances in the game yet I hardly ever see them because that animation seems to always be played.

Users who are viewing this thread