Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Just to clarify... the last cricket game I played without career or online mode was EA Cricket 2007 way back in 2006 or 2007 - nearly 12 years back on PS2. Since then I've played Ashes Cricket 2009 exclusively for the online mode. I binned International Cricket 2010 in less than 10 days as the online mode was broken in the game. Then came DBc 14 and all I played was online or career mode. DBC 17 was binned within a couple of weeks due to online gameplay issues and broken career mode. Ashes Cricket is in the same boat as DBC 17 as of now.

In nutshell I find career mode engaging and online gameplay much more fun and addictive. Maybe I'm spoiled by other games or my gaming behavior has changed over the years but to me sports games are all about either career mode or online. I may play a few casual matches to test a few things, i.e. tweaking slider settings or trying out new shots or field types for online etc. but my core gameplay modes are online and career. It's unfortunate that these two modes have taken huge steps back since DBC 14.

Just to clarify... the last cricket game I played without career or online mode was EA Cricket 2007 way back in 2006 or 2007 - nearly 12 years back on PS2. Since then I've played Ashes Cricket 2009 exclusively for the online mode. I binned International Cricket 2010 in less than 10 days as the online mode was broken in the game. Then came DBc 14 and all I played was online or career mode. DBC 17 was binned within a couple of weeks due to online gameplay issues and broken career mode. Ashes Cricket is in the same boat as DBC 17 as of now.

In nutshell I find career mode engaging and online gameplay much more fun and addictive. Maybe I'm spoiled by other games or my gaming behavior has changed over the years but to me sports games are all about either career mode or online. I may play a few casual matches to test a few things, i.e. tweaking slider settings or trying out new shots or field types for online etc. but my core gameplay modes are online and career. It's unfortunate that these two modes have taken huge steps back since DBC 14.

I said the same thing but was gang bang by Dutch and snowy :( May be I am not one of their pupils?

What I don't get about the argument: 'core gameplay vs different game modes', is that core gameplay is actually lacking. And I remain to be convinced that the patch will actually change the core gameplay enough to address my concerns. In my view, the mechanics need to changed from the ground up for future cricket titles.

What I don't get about the argument: 'core gameplay vs different game modes', is that core gameplay is actually lacking. And I remain to be convinced that the patch will actually change the core gameplay enough to address my concerns. In my view, the mechanics need to changed from the ground up for future cricket titles.
I think Wealeys point was not to state that core play is or isn't lacking in this game but if core gameplay was good would that stop you from playing a game because career mode in that game is broken.

I think Wealeys point was not to state that core play is or isn't lacking in this game but if core gameplay was good would that stop you from playing a game because career mode in that game is broken.

Yeah I just meant, if you loved the gameplay but careeer mode was broken, would you shelve the game and not play something else...[DOUBLEPOST=1524150935][/DOUBLEPOST]

Out of interest, what about the gameplay at the mo do you not like...

Yeah I just meant, if you loved the gameplay but careeer mode was broken, would you shelve the game and not play something else...[DOUBLEPOST=1524150935][/DOUBLEPOST]

Out of interest, what about the gameplay at the mo do you not like...
Ok I get you now. Core gameplay is the most important thing, but It has taken a long time before there are even any potential improvements to it.

One example would be that I think bowling lengths are flawed. When you choose a good length but are then poor on the timing gauges the ball should then pitch too full or too short. It look ridiculous for two similar looking balls when one goes past the edge and the other hit over cover for six. I don't propose movable bowling markers like in the past, but are more realistic length mechanic that replicates actual bowling.

Another would be spinners. The bounce is just strange when the trajectory of the ball is actually on its way down to the keeper after it bounces. A big part of playing spinners in cricket is identifying the short ball and being able to play it off the back foot. This is something that has not worked in any of the BA games.

Small things like the keeper following the ball when stood up to the stumps, thereby identifying the destination of the ball. And also the positioning of the keeper and slips still looks wrong. When a right-arm bowler is bowling over the wicket to a left-handed batsman, the keeper should stand a long way to the off-side and as a result push the slips further round. Often 2nd slip is taking the ball when the keeper should have enough room to move across and take it. I have seen the beta videos of the slips, but they're still seem wrong to me.

Last edited:
You said something stupid. You were called out, and a lot of people agreed that your statement was stupid. You have now doubled down and gone on the attack against other's literacy. You follow a similar pattern; when you disagree with others you analyse their spelling and grammar rather than engaging in a discussion.

Oh, and if you are so bothered by it maybe have a proof-read of your own posts.
" can't even decipher what a simple o pay means". Am I missing something? I'm still trying to understand what that is. I guess I can't decipher it.

Any idea what the time zones are? I suppose us South Africans would have to download it on the 27 April (Freedom day !!!).

None the less, awesome way to spend the public holiday! Call a few friends over and enjoy the new patch.

" can't even decipher what a simple o pay means". Am I missing something? I'm still trying to understand what that is. I guess I can't decipher it.

Any idea what the time zones are? I suppose us South Africans would have to download it on the 27 April (Freedom day !!!).

None the less, awesome way to spend the public holiday! Call a few friends over and enjoy the new patch.

Zero pay?? Maybe?? Even I'm not sure.

I'm sure the patch will be available at the same time all over the world. Timezones shouldn't matter.

Steam Updates will be spontaneous but PS4 and Xbox takes minimum 3-4 days afters Submission . How could All platform update will be at same time , May be Steam could be early release

I said the same thing but was gang bang by Dutch and snowy :( May be I am not one of their pupils?

You said this -

We are not arguing with the beta boys , buts its absurd from beta boys to defend BA by saying gameplay is king and other things are just luxury stuff which we don't deserve (even though they mentioned it in the feature list) or we are lucky to have them even if they are partly functional.

This is the crap we were calling you out on. And you still can’t recognise that.

Without meaning to be a smarta$$, can anyone advise whether BA have been verified for rapid patching now for Ashes Cricket? Did they lose that verification due to some previously shoddy patches and now must go through a full assessment each time, or have they redeemed themselves in the eyes of Sony and be able to push patches quicker? I know when major gameplay changes are made or changes to netcode and online functions are added then every game has to go through verification, but if BA have given a hard deadline for the patch, does that mean they know something we don't?

Or is that deadline simply the date for the Steam roll out and PSN, Xbox will take a few more days?

If we ps4 gamers have to wait for few extra days thats totally cool. According to beta team they are very close to a near perfect game, now thats worth waiting. Man i hope AI feild placements are far realistic.

It was mentioned yesterday, I think, that these may not be linked to the upcoming patch so not much we can take from this really

Apart from the fact that work is still ongoing

Which is good in a way because it probably means that we will have more patches in future. It won't be just one mega patch and then that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread