Batting advice for strugglers, includes spin

Callytee

School Cricketer
Hey all, I see some people are struggling with batting, I have searched and dug up a post I made in 14 called " my batting advice". I have cleaned up what I don't think relates to 17 but a lot I think is still really relevant for DBC 17. Would welcome any other advice but the purpose is mostly to help people who struggle and for those having issue with spin.

Ok here it is.

1. Know where the fielders are. When you come to the crease check the field. You need to play to the gaps or defend especially when you arn't set.

2. Know your bread and butter shots. What do you play consistently well and to what bowling.

3. Dont auto hit and run. Dont be fooled by a well timed shot. Wait till you are sure the run is safe. Watch the ball, make sure there is no fielder who will run you or your batting partner out. Taking one less run is better than being out.

4.Understand the fundamentals of Batting and use it. Have patience. I.e If the field is to tight on the off side, Block it out until you get the right ball. Dont start trying to take balls from outside off to the onside etc or vice versa. Once you are well set you can become more aggressive.

5. Sight each new bowler. When the bowler changes tone down your aggression till you know what he is going to bowl. Even if you are well set a change in speed, length etc can make you come unstuck really quick when you are used to the previous bowling.

6.Defend with a straight bat. Sounds simple but the analogs are easy to push slightly off to each side. Defend the shot with a straight bat to the line of the ball. Personally for the first 10 to 20 balls, I have the defense button pushed prior to the ball being bowled. If its a bad ball I let it off and play a stroke. ( I dont tend to do this in T20's or ODI's as much.

7. Finally know the game situation. How many do you actualy need each over do you have to take risks or can you single out the win.

OK i find Spin the easiest to play so this is what works for me. I play 100% on the front foot (you can cut and pull short balls from the front foot). The key to spin is you have to really play it late. To get a real feel for it, get in the nets and just play spin for a while

I cant stress enough how long you have to actually wait to play the shot. If you want hard connection.

You need to be able to be 100% comfortable that you can block anything. With a bit of nets its not hard once you know the timing.

As a very basic guide you play with the spin.

Before I am well set, I block anything pitched on the stumps. If its on leg or leg side, I mostly play through mid on or off the pads. If its outside off I drive it through mid off or late cut if the field allows.

I tend to avoid dead straight drives Unless lofted as the spin bowler just grabs them.

The thing is with spin, if they have players all around you, you may have to block it out unless you are comfortable going over the top.(always a risk regardless).

More Spin Advice,

1. Can't stress enough how late you actually play spin bowling.

2. If you cant consistently block any type of spin ball bowled you are going to have issues playing shots and need to work on your timing. The block is very very simple to play to spinners and is a fundamental to understanding the timing of spin bowling.

3. If the bowler is bowling over the wicket and you are a right handed batsman, you probably want to play most shots to the off side unless its a very bad ball outside or on leg stump.

4. If the bowler is coming around the wicket and you are a right handed batsmen you probably want to play it to the leg side unless again its a very bad ball outside off stump. (beware of trying to cut and even driving from a bowler around the wicket. If your timing if off you will probably nick it) Better to let it go sometimes or block it.

5. Personally I find the sweep a bit unreliable so don't use it a lot in the longer game. Its more a T20 shot for me.

Ok that's a fairly long read, but if it helps anyone then that's fantastic.

.Jambo.

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I'm having massive trouble with the sweep, edge or miss hit every time. Do you have any advice for advancing down the wicket to spinners? I'd like to start bringing this into my t20 game but again, it always ends in disaster at the moment.

montoya003

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm having massive trouble with the sweep, edge or miss hit every time. Do you have any advice for advancing down the wicket to spinners? I'd like to start bringing this into my t20 game but again, it always ends in disaster at the moment.

its easier to charge a spinner if they are bowling around the wicket cos if you miss it, it just hits your pads and you wont get stumped. I am reluctant to charge a leg spinner from over the wicket with a right hand batsman as I have got stumped number of times. If I charge I look to hit straight or over cover if feeling confident - use the L2 trigger to hit over the top or R2 to keep the ball along the ground

Callytee

School Cricketer

Hi Mate,

The best advice I could offer would be to firstly use the nets and set the bowling to spin only. Use the advance modifier and work out the timing for good connection. Practice with the aggressive modifier for normal and lofted shots. This will allow you to have a good idea of the timing once you are actually batting.

In terms of advancing in game, I use the following. For bowlers around the wicket, if its pitched on my legs or outside leg I look to advance and play them through mid on or long on.

For bowlers over the wicket it’s Mid off or Long off for balls outside off stump. Balls on the stumps I generally look at Long on, Long off or dead straight depending on the field.

I don’t use the sweep at all (apart from the odd reverse in a T20), I use a front foot leg glace instead as I find the sweep to inconsistent. I also generally bat on the stumps for any bowler around the wicket. Length wise the ball I’m most likely to look at advancing to is Green.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread