Earthquake near Trinidad...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Alright guys so just experienced a 7.3 earthquake at the centre (5.31 EST), when it hit Trinidad it was about 6.8 but it lasted a full minute and then some. We generally build with bricks so not a LOT of property damage but some buildings did get issues and some landslips happened. The ground shook for something near 2 mins if I timed it right but hell my ass was scared too. Biggest quake in years. Longest quake in years. When you can actually see the earth moving...yeah...it's a big quake.

Not taking ANYTHING AWAY from the recent bigger quakes in other places...but damn that was scary.

I know there are other Trinis here. Your experience?

My granny held onto my hand and prayed. I'm not that much into the whole scene and I was scared shitless but I will say prayers escaped my lips like if i was in church. That earthquake honestly scared me like mad...

That does sound scary, glad you / family seem ok ?

Yes, thankfully after I went around and inside the house there was no damage. A few things were knocked off of shelves and a few things needed adjusting but nothing major and I am so thankful. I had seen pics of cars parked up near buildings...the cars are basically gone in terms of functional status. Bricks from nearby places just demolished them cars. A few of our historical buildings will need repair. But no loss of life so far that I've heard.

EDIT: Imagine if people were in the cars...oh...I don't want to imagine...I would have had to certify them DOA...

DOUBLE EDIT: Our country is right on a fault line. We're due for an 8+ soon they say. This one was good though they say it means we still have time. But...wow...was not nice to go through it...this thing was honestly the biggest and longest I think I've been through and I've been through a lot of quakes...

TRIPLE EDIT: They say animals can sense quakes...not my dog she was so scared after she ran and almost took me for six the length she threw me back...

Last edited:
Oh my...that is infinitely scarier. PlanetCricket and the world is glad that you made it through that safely.
Thank you:). It's certainly an experience we'll never forget. We were in a cab at the time, the driver was fantastic and got us away.

Alright guys so just experienced a 7.3 earthquake at the centre (5.31 EST), when it hit Trinidad it was about 6.8 but it lasted a full minute and then some. We generally build with bricks so not a LOT of property damage but some buildings did get issues and some landslips happened. The ground shook for something near 2 mins if I timed it right but hell my ass was scared too. Biggest quake in years. Longest quake in years. When you can actually see the earth moving...yeah...it's a big quake.

Not taking ANYTHING AWAY from the recent bigger quakes in other places...but damn that was scary.

I know there are other Trinis here. Your experience?
2014?

Users who are viewing this thread