FTP Problems

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Guys, I sometimes have problems uploading stuff and was wondering if anyone has any Ideas as to whats causing My problem.

The problem is intermittent (although seem more often I have the problem than not these days). I can connect to FTP servers fine, and browse through subfolders, delete and download no problem, but when I try to upload a file it will just sit there on 0% for ever. It used to be that after a few hours it would upload but the problem now seems to be worse. I have tried 2 versions of smartftp and mozilla's fireftp plugin both have the problem, I even get the problem if I try to use ie. Sometimes when I shutdown my PC I get a DDE Server window that doesnt respond (this only hapens if I've been trying to upload).

Does anyone have any ideas?

gaurav_indian

International Coach
kevmead said:
Guys, I sometimes have problems uploading stuff and was wondering if anyone has any Ideas as to whats causing My problem.

The problem is intermittent (although seem more often I have the problem than not these days). I can connect to FTP servers fine, and browse through subfolders, delete and download no problem, but when I try to upload a file it will just sit there on 0% for ever. It used to be that after a few hours it would upload but the problem now seems to be worse. I have tried 2 versions of smartftp and mozilla's fireftp plugin both have the problem, I even get the problem if I try to use ie. Sometimes when I shutdown my PC I get a DDE Server window that doesnt respond (this only hapens if I've been trying to upload).

Does anyone have any ideas?
I have started using IE for ftp purposes and it worked fine for me.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
yes gaurav, I've tried IE, but as I said this is a problem I'm having, it is not just one ftp server I'm having problems with, its any I try and it happens with IE, fireftp, smartftp. So I'm pretty sure I have some kind of settings problem at my end, but I cant figure out what.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Thanks for the link embi, I can upload using this but am still interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on why I have this problem, but please dont just post that I try different software or that it works for you.

embi

International Coach
Firewall maybe?

See what happens if you try the most basic of all, embedded into windows:

Start>Run
Type "cmd"
At the prompt type "ftp"
Now type "open " then the name of your server
Tell me what happens.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I dont have any problems connecting, as I said before its just uploading. ftp.exe connects fine, I didnt try uploading a file though as I dont plan on using it.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I'm beginning to think its some kind of problem with my router as I've tried now on 2 different PC's both with different OS's and firewalls etc.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
A firmware upgrade to the router seems to have cracked it, thanks for your input embi

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
kevmead said:
A firmware upgrade to the router seems to have cracked it, thanks for your input embi
Just a little note to add there that, often in the routers firewall comes enabled by default and they usually block outgoing ftp traffic on default ports. Obviously your firmware upgrade may have reset the router image to "new factory defaults" where configuration has been changed to allow connection through SmartFtp or IE.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Nah, it was enabled thats why I couldn't figure it out, but I came across some info on the web about problems with the firmware of my router, ftp access being one of them. Plus I was lucky enough that it didnt reset the router to the defaults anyway, as there is no way I can remember my password as I've had the router for a couple of years now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread