Is Pietersen some kind of ****head?

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Losing captaincy helped England win Ashes - Pietersen

Kevin Pietersen believes it was for the "good of English cricket" he lost the England captaincy and coach Peter Moores was sacked two years ago.

Pietersen says successors Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower "need all the plaudits for an unbelievable 18 months", including a double Ashes win.

After England retained the Ashes, the batsman said: "We would not be here today if I had not done what I did.

"I got rid of the captaincy for the good of English cricket."

Victory in the fourth Test in Melbourne saw England retain the urn for the first time in 24 years, and a draw in the final Test in Sydney would bring a series win in Australia for the first time since 1987.

"There is no way in this world that we would have succeeded under that regime and won the Ashes again in Australia after 24 years," said Pietersen.

"Strauss and Andy Flower need all the plaudits for an unbelievable 18 months and an unbelievable preparation for this team, and they are the right leadership for this team.

"They are just very good at keeping us level-headed and grounded and solid.

"[Strauss] looks after himself after he has looked after everyone else which is a great quality of a great captain."

Asked if Strauss was a better captain than him, Pietersen replied: "Who knows?

"All I can say is they have done an incredible job, and I am so happy for both of them."

Pietersen was critical of Moores in a report to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after a tour of India in late 2008 and the ECB reacted by sacking both captain and coach in early 2009, offering the skipper's job to Strauss.

"He [Strauss] gave me the phone call and said: 'The ECB want me to captain; are you OK with that?'," Pietersen recalled.

"I said 'Go for it, Straussy, you're a top man'. I said 'I'm a good mate of yours, go for it, do whatever you need to,' and I've been proved right. It was a good decision by the ECB."

Pietersen was England's best batsmen on the 2006-07 tour of Australia but still shared the ignominy of the 5-0 Ashes whitewash.

Having not scored a Test century for 18 months prior to this tour, he hit a career-best 227 and was named man of the match in England's first victory of the series in Adelaide.

Pietersen has an average of 64.8 from his five innings to date, England's third biggest contributor (324 runs) behind Alastair Cook (577 runs at an average of 115.4) and Jonathan Trott (445 at 111.3).

TOM FORDYCE'S 4TH TEST RATINGS
Pietersen's half-century may not have been the biggest score of England's innings but it continued his side's progress on a potentially tricky second day

"It's the best feeling in my career, nothing beats this," added the 30-year-old, who was also part of the side that won the Ashes at home in 2005 and 2009, although his involvement in the latter was curtailed by injury.

"As an Englishman, winning in England in 2005 was amazing after it had not been done for a certain amount of years, but people always talked about the fact that when you go to Australia it is a different kettle of fish and the last time we came here we got hammered.

"This time we have come here knowing the preparation has been right, knowing what to expect from the crowds, from the public in the street, people in hotels and taxi drivers to players out in the middle.

"We were told to beware of this and we knew what to expect. We always thought we would do a lot better than last time, I was confident of that and that has proved right."

BBC Sport - Cricket - Losing captaincy helped England win Ashes - Pietersen

The two events are pretty much unrelated, the aussies being a lot weaker has helped England win the Ashes not the captain, management or some freak with 99 fingers who has them all crossed. Seriously some England and English sports need to ban their players from talking b0llocks to the media so much, we don't need 999 opinions on something and nothing.

Maybe if Pietersen focused on his batting and playing for the team he'd be a top batsman and not just some bloke with oodles of talent who is too full of himself he throws his wicket and talent away too much.

2black2good

School Cricketer

Typical KP

Absolute tossbag of a bloke but God i'd love to have a batsman like him in my side

midgetwars

Club Captain
Lol, wish Pieterson was in the Aussie camp. Then we can dump Nielson as coach

D

Dutch

I think he has a point to be honest. I think he is trying to to take a bit too much credit for it as always but I thought his comments weren't massively over the top and there is no doubt that there is a sound structure in place at the moment.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Seriously fail to see what he's done wrong Owzat, pretty honest stuff from him to say it as he sees it.

Sureshot

Executive member
I think he has a point to be honest. I think he is trying to to take a bit too much credit for it as always but I thought his comments weren't massively over the top and there is no doubt that there is a sound structure in place at the moment.

+1.

Will Browne

Club Cricketer

He still thinks he has a chance of being captain when Strauss retires, thats why he's not putting himself down.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I think he is trying to to take a bit too much credit for it as always but I thought his comments weren't massively over the top and there is no doubt that there is a sound structure in place at the moment.

Totally agree. Apart from trying to take credit for being sacked from the captaincy :lol, he showed a thoroughly un-Pietersen-like level of humility and good grace.

He was almost too nice about it. :p Hope he's got a mean/arrogant streak back when he next comes out to bat!

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He scores an A+ while batting, in the matches, that's what England needs. ;)

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I don't think this is Pietersen looking for credit. I think this is just him saying that English cricket is in better hands now than it otherwise would have been if he was at the helm. He's just stating facts really.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
KP has just come out and said that England are better off with Flower and Strauss than they were with Pietersen and Moores being in charge. The rest is just journalism beefing the quotes up to sound contraversial.

P

pcfan123

I don't get why KP is a "**** head"

He basically said that Moores was like a cancer and he was. I wish KP was still the captain, Strauss is no way near being an outstanding captain, he is just lucky he has good players, sort of like a Ricky Ponting situation. Strauss is even more defensive and less imaginative than Graeme Smith. He can't set fields, he doesn't attack when needed and he is always concerned about run saving, even with an innings and a 400 odd run lead.

Strauss is overrated as a captain, however Flower is a great coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sureshot

Executive member
His strategic work can be pretty bad at times, but he is a great leader of men.

Users who are viewing this thread