ICC Champions Trophy 2017

Dinesh Karthik replaces injured Manish Pandey in Champions Trophy squad | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

From a stats perspective and a utility perspective, there is no question for this choice of replacement. Dinesh Karthik has had an excellent domestic time recently and also as a backup keeper, he provides better options to the team. But I would've thought they could have brought in Suresh Raina instead. Maybe they did not want to create competition for Yuvraj's spot in the XI? Anyways, a pretty justified decision.

Karthik is probably the right man to replace Pandey. His domestic form justified that, and he has experience which will be valuable to the Indian team. Plus he's a good backup as keeper to Dhoni.

It seems that for some, the selection criteria is "domestic form" while for the others it's the "IPL" and for some "the previous CT."

Suresh Raina is a proven performer at the highest level in limited overs. The biggest thing is that he has been there is world cups and other tournaments and done the business. I have a lot of time for DK, but not ahead of Raina. Personally, I still can't get my head around the fact that Dhawan has been picked ahead of Pant but what do I know? May be Dhawan gives Kohli a foot massage everyday!

It seems that for some, the selection criteria is "domestic form" while for the others it's the "IPL" and for some "the previous CT."

Suresh Raina is a proven performer at the highest level in limited overs. The biggest thing is that he has been there is world cups and other tournaments and done the business. I have a lot of time for DK, but not ahead of Raina. Personally, I still can't get my head around the fact that Dhawan has been picked ahead of Pant but what do I know? May be Dhawan gives Kohli a foot massage everyday!

Too early to blood Pant. He showed glimpses in the IPL but he also showed his rawness while failing pretty bad in some games. He should not be moulded in international cricket. He needs further moulding outside before he steps in.

Dhawan had Uthappa and Gambhir breathing down his neck and still Dhawan got in because of his exploits in the 2013 Champions Trophy that was held in the same country where they are going to play now. And as I said earlier, they probably didnt want to create competition for Yuvraj's place in the XI and also didn't want to get to a situation where Raina is kept in the bench because Jadhav has to play.

Too early to blood Pant. He showed glimpses in the IPL but he also showed his rawness while failing pretty bad in some games. He should not be moulded in international cricket. He needs further moulding outside before he steps in.

Dhawan had Uthappa and Gambhir breathing down his neck and still Dhawan got in because of his exploits in the 2013 Champions Trophy that was held in the same country where they are going to play now. And as I said earlier, they probably didnt want to create competition for Yuvraj's place in the XI and also didn't want to get to a situation where Raina is kept in the bench because Jadhav has to play.

Sounds to me like a few fragile ego's in the team. Please. I don't get all this logic. The same "raw" Yuvraj Singh debuted in the Champions Trophy and the rest is history. If we're picking teams based on history ala the 2013 CT, then let's pick Kapil Dev for his 1983 WC exploits in England. Recent form? How about GG in the WT20 in SA or the WC in 2011? Shikhar Dhawan and Ajinkya Rahane are picks based on friendship and reputation I'm sorry to say and bares no reasoning or practicality. This is a fact. Okay even if I have to take a deep breath and think, I can swallow the Dhawan selection (mind you I utterly loathe him) but why Rahane? Time and time again he's been found out in the format! (mind you I'm the same guy who was irate at the mention of Nair replacing him in Tests)

Shikhar Dhawan can make 1000 runs in an IPL for all I care but the absolute blunt truth is that Warner has been carrying him from last season onwards. Cricket is about how, when and against whom you make runs not how many? At least that's what wins trophies. In my opinion, India have the best death bowling and a reasonable batting line up. We will struggle with openers, some donkeys in the field and spin bowling!

Dhawan had Uthappa and Gambhir breathing down his neck and still Dhawan got in because of his exploits in the 2013 Champions Trophy that was held in the same country where they are going to play now.
I find that reason for selection absolutely absurd. A lot changes over the years and you simply cannot expect the player to re-create that magic. On current form Dhawan is mediocre at best (not counting IPL because well, T20 is not proper cricket). He and Ishant Sharma are the two excess baggage that we continue to carry with us when there are so many other options.

I find that reason for selection absolutely absurd. A lot changes over the years and you simply cannot expect the player to re-create that magic. On current form Dhawan is mediocre at best (not counting IPL because well, T20 is not proper cricket). He and Ishant Sharma are the two excess baggage that we continue to carry with us when there are so many other options.

Without taking IPL into count, well you have to discount Uthappa and Gambhir's exploits too. Sorry for being disconnected with domestic cricket, but has Uthappa done anything substantial in domestic cricket? I am sure Gambhir has not set the domestic stage on fire in recent times. And Pant? What has he done in domestic cricket recently?

Dhawan has had an above average IPL and has been scoring runs. And that coupled with the fact that he had a good CT last time in 2013 in the same country, nailed it for him. I personally wanted Uthappa or even Samson, but Dhawan selection doesn't seem that bad that he is clubbed with Ishant Sharma as an 'excess baggage'. He is not that bad. In fact more than Rahane, I would say Dhawan is a better option as Dhawan can inject much momentum into the innings much better and faster than Rahane. With Rohit being immovable, the other opener must be someone who is capable of injecting momentum effortlessly and at a fast pace and in that scenario, Dhawan >>> Rahane.

Sorry for being disconnected with domestic cricket, but has Uthappa done anything substantial in domestic cricket? I am sure Gambhir has not set the domestic stage on fire in recent times. And Pant? What has he done in domestic cricket recently?
I'm not arguing about who should have been picked instead of Dhawan. My point was picking Dhawan because "he did well in CT the last time around" is not a valid reason.

I personally wanted Uthappa or even Samson, but Dhawan selection doesn't seem that bad that he is clubbed with Ishant Sharma as an 'excess baggage'. He is not that bad.
I might have exaggerated that. Maybe you're right. Dhawan isn't that bad. But Ishant sure is.

Umar Akmal has been sent back to Pakistan. Umar Amin and Haris Sohail are being considered in the place of him. I would personally prefer Amin because of his recent performances.

Umar Akmal has been sent back to Pakistan. Umar Amin and Haris Sohail are being considered in the place of him. I would personally prefer Amin because of his recent performances.
I think Haris would be better. He's such a class player.

I think Haris would be better. He's such a class player.
You both are wrong.
[HASHTAG]#BringBackFawadAlam[/HASHTAG]

Users who are viewing this thread