ICC Champions Trophy 2017

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I think you've over estimated our attack and under estimated theirs. Pakistan have a genuine off spinner, a left arm orthodox, a leg break bowler, two serious left arm quicks and H Ali who's a right armer and the bowler of the tournament so far. The biggest strength of the attack is that it has variety & wicket taking options through out 50 overs. India? I think Jadeja has been average, as has Ashwin. I think Bumrah is a fantastic economy bowler but will struggle for wickets at the top. Bhuvi will make the ball talk if it swings but otherwise it's up and down stuff. You're also betting big on Shami.. I don't think he's that good a LOI bowler as he is tests. Plus, he hasn't played a game.. So, it's not all that easy!

One thing I do agree with you on is the PAK batting. The analysts and some fans here were heaping praise on Azhar Ali as well as the inconsequential cameo by Hafeez, but they seem to be only effective when the total is under 250! That's a lot to ask from your bowlers every game.. PAK have made some inspiring and bold decisions in this series and now I really hope for PAK's sake they pick Haris Sohail.. At least give him an opportunity! If PAK bat first, they will be psychologically shod. In their heads they will be thinking 280-300 and that can go south very quick with Azhar Ali and Hafeez. On the other hand if India make 300, these two will be needing to go at a SR of at least 90 which has looked tough so far. So, Pakistan's mantra has to be- Win the toss and bowl, bundle India for below 250 and then crawl to the target!

I think you are going too predictable by judging a very Unpredictable side :) Pakistan has every capability to bat first and score 350+ Runs for India to chase. Azam has a tremendous record as emerging player, He has found his nick in last match. Personally, I want Pakistan to win toss and Bat First if the Wicket has 300+ support. For the sake of history to bowl first? It is a negative approach. What happens after that will be seen later. Our bowlers have every capability to bowl India out. I can remember the two drop catches in the first encounter. But without any ifs and buts, Crawling to target is going extra predictable about Pakistan side as Pakistan didn't crawl against England good bowling lineup. So I don't see any reason why Indian bowlers can't get smashed as well all over the park. And it is very much possible this Sunday

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@PresidentEvil Ahem.. Ahem.. Turns out someone was wrong.
Not only me but almost everyone were wrong. Nobody (even you) expected Dhawan to perform so well after that patchy 1yr. in both international and domestic circuit. There are many posts in this thread which criticized the selection of Dhawan early on and I'm glad that he has justified his selection.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
It's important for Pakistan to play good cricket and not take into account its India. We clearly have one of the best bowling line-ups if we can restrict SA,SRI, and ENG in back to back games. If we come out with a plan and can restrict them to 240-250, we'll have a strong chance to defeat them.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
For the first time since I have started to watch cricket properly, Pakistan will play a major tournament final as an underdog. Last time I heard it was in 1992 WC final where England was favorite, not sure about as firm as India is for this one. But like I said for Bangladesh, it is a big opportunity for Pakistan to break the shackles. A win here will be a dream for a young player who's total matches as a captain are still under 10. Freedom and aggressiveness was what made Pakistan great in 90s and the same is what can make this team great too.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would not drop Ashwin for the final. Yes its Pakistan, yes its a subcontinental team and yes Ashwin had an ordinary game against Bangladesh where he fielded below par, but Ashwin is an attacking bowler who mans the middle overs really well. Also with Ashwin around, Jadeja looks an entirely different bowler. Jadeja was taken to the cleaners against Sri Lanka. Next game Ashwin comes into the side, Jadeja bowls 1-39 in 10 overs against South Africa. Likely the presence of an attacking spinner in Ashwin gives Jadeja the calmness/freedom and positively impacts his performance. And at the Kennington Oval, I don't see the need for 4 seamers. It should be a batting pancake of a wicket (where huge totals are chased down). So no need to get in the 4th seamer.

My XI for India would be this:

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Dhoni
Jadhav
Yuvraj
Jadeja
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami/Yadav
Bumrah

I would bring back Shami for Pandya (as I have always been harping) but Yadav is also an option. Shami should be good because he played that warmup vs New Zealand and bowled pretty well there. And being an in-flight international cricketer, he must be keeping himself fit and in rhythm for a call up anytime.

What a cricketing gentleman he is. What I most liked about him is that he has remained such a humble team man even after leaving the hot seat. There are no negative signs from him showing expressions that he was the ex-captain and the most successful one. Playing for the team with such determination. The smooth transition of captaincy from Dhoni to Kholi is the benchmark for subcontinent teams. His support for the new captain is to watch out for.

Attitude wise and personality wise, Dhoni is among the very best that has been seen in cricket. He is very similar to Sachin in terms of the humility and the goodness that he has naturally in him. That's why if you followed the IPL, Dhoni got huge backing and roars everywhere he played (even though he was playing away from the ground of his home franchise, Pune). He would be cheered as much as the home teams of the opposition because he is.... Dhoni. To me, the only other guy before him who got this kind of reception was Sachin.

Last edited:
S

Satan666

Untouchables666 Champs 11 so far and other awards:
Ahem!

Hats off to Dhawan for making me eat my own words. But I think the numbers game will catch up to him now. It would be too silly to expect him to score in the final again. Kohli too is bordering along on the same lines.

Coming to the lineup, I think Ashwin will be dropped for his "dropped" catch. The way Kohli looked at him after he fumbled at third man, it gave me a, "Alright, you haven't been effective with the ball today and you're not helping with your fielding either. You're out" feeling.

I also think one of Shami or Yadav (60% Yadav since he has some games under his belt) will come into the squad in place of Ashwin. Rest of the lineup should be the same.

My reverse jinxing is in place with me putting the maximum wager possible on Pakistan. If India wins, I'm happy but broke. If Pakistan wins, I'm sad but rich.

May the best team win.

Wow no one expected an Ind-Pak final, what a prediction!

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I would not drop Ashwin for the final. Yes its Pakistan, yes its a subcontinental team and yes Ashwin had an ordinary game against Bangladesh where he fielded below par, but Ashwin is an attacking bowler who mans the middle overs really well. Also with Ashwin around, Jadeja looks an entirely different bowler. Jadeja was taken to the cleaners against Sri Lanka. Next game Ashwin comes into the side, Jadeja bowls 1-39 in 10 overs against South Africa. Likely the presence of an attacking spinner in Ashwin gives Jadeja the calmness/freedom and positively impacts his performance. And at the Kennington Oval, I don't see the need for 4 seamers. It should be a batting pancake of a wicket (where huge totals are chased down). So no need to get in the 4th seamer.

My XI for India would be this:

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Dhoni
Jadhav
Yuvraj
Jadeja
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami/Yadav
Bumrah

I would bring back Shami for Pandya (as I have always been harping) but Yadav is also an option. Shami should be good because he played that warmup vs New Zealand and bowled pretty well there. And being an in-flight international cricketer, he must be keeping himself fit and in rhythm for a call up anytime.

Attitude wise and personality wise, Dhoni is among the very best that has been seen in cricket. He is very similar to Sachin in terms of the humility and the goodness that he has naturally in him. That's why if you followed the IPL, Dhoni got huge backing and roars everywhere he played (even though he was playing away from the ground of his home franchise, Pune). He would be cheered as much as the home teams of the opposition because he is.... Dhoni. To me, the only other guy before him who got this kind of reception was Sachin.
As much I want Umesh in the team and think Hardik is a bad bowler, his batting might keep him in the team and India which would most likely cost Yadav his place. I do wish that Pakistan put up a good fight though and I am sure fans would love a close contest of high level of cricket rather than one sided match.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
As much I want Umesh in the team and think Hardik is a bad bowler, his batting might keep him in the team and India which would most likely cost Yadav his place. I do wish that Pakistan put up a good fight though and I am sure fans would love a close contest of high level of cricket rather than one sided match.

With the form that both the openers and Kohli are in, the likes of Dhoni, Jadhav and Pandya are not required much to flex their batting power. In such a scenario, Pandya is contributing only with ball and fielding and with the ball, he is below par (last game, he had to be hidden after 3 overs). As far as fielding goes, I dont think we will be hurt by Pandya's exclusion (if it was Jadeja, then that's a different story).

But I have a feeling Kohli will play the same XI again.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
RESULTS
Australia
poll_results_pixel.gif
9.92% 28592
Bangladesh
poll_results_pixel.gif
8.33% 23998
England
poll_results_pixel.gif
11.21% 32282
India
poll_results_pixel.gif
34.67% 99875
New Zealand
poll_results_pixel.gif
2.74% 7882
Pakistan
poll_results_pixel.gif
20.48% 59011
South Africa
poll_results_pixel.gif
8.48% 24441
Sri Lanka
poll_results_pixel.gif
4.17% 12001

Cricinfo Poll o.O!
OMG! This was absoulutely true!!!!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
OMG! This was absoulutely true!!!!

South Africa and Australia had a better percentage than Bangladesh, but yet Bangladesh made the semis.

The thing with these polls is - India and Pakistan will rule them irrespective of the sides' current standing. With hyper passionate fans on both sides, they will want their team to win these polls irrespective of whether they are voting correctly as per the question or not. Its like "liking a YouTube video before watching it". :D

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
South Africa and Australia had a better percentage than Bangladesh, but yet Bangladesh made the semis.

The thing with these polls is - India and Pakistan will rule them irrespective of the sides' current standing. With hyper passionate fans on both sides, they will want their team to win these polls irrespective of whether they are voting correctly as per the question or not. Its like "liking a YouTube video before watching it". :D
I've always wondered the fans of Pakistan and India are too much into to the game that they want their team to win irrespective of what. On the other hand the foreigners don't care about it as because this result dosen't matter and they are busy unlike us (India and Pakistan fans. Always free :D)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I've always wondered the fans of Pakistan and India are too much into to the game that they want their team to win irrespective of what. On the other hand the foreigners don't care about it as because this result dosen't matter and they are busy unlike us (India and Pakistan fans. Always free :D)

Ha ha. We were the same as each other until we got separated in 1947. Bangladesh is turning out even more stronger than us in this department. Weirdly, Sri Lanka is not like us. They love their team, but they are not as emotional about it. Maybe the "Buddhist" principles have influenced the detached personality?

Users who are viewing this thread