General Cricket Discussion

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda

Interesting article seems to point to Test cricket becoming ever more competitive and entertaining, rather than dying. I disagree with the weightage they give to WTC Finals, but even then half of the top 10 best years in Test cricket, according to this reasonable index, have been in the past 10 years.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Interesting article seems to point to Test cricket becoming ever more competitive and entertaining, rather than dying. I disagree with the weightage they give to WTC Finals, but even then half of the top 10 best years in Test cricket, according to this reasonable index, have been in the past 10 years.
His reasoning for including them as '10' is fairly weak too.

I feel like the worst year and the best year might just have something to do with England.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
I once met a family friend while travelling to my native town. He used to play U-19 cricket in Mumbai. Told that he has played with Shivam Dubey during the time.

What he told next just blew my mind. He told that Shivam Dubey was a crap player in the team. His father is a big shot tycoon. And a lot, lot, loads of stash was paid in order to put him in the Indian squad. It was due to his father's deep pockets that he was selected at every level, all the way upto the international side.

Shivam Dubey getting selected in the Indian National squad is the proof that cricket in India is a sell out sport.
What does your friend say now

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Angelo Mathews

Always a fan but he seemed to drop off a bit. However, when you look at his numbers he's up there with the best of his contemporaries.

Last ten years.

In the much lauded 'SENA' grouping for minimum 30 innings:

Ranks in the Top 10 with an average of 45.60

Highest Asian batter, second is Kohli at 42.52, although Kohli has played more that twice the number of matches.
1705321071688.png

Globally, batters who have played 100 innings, he ranks 6th.

I suppose being Sri Lankan and not quite the number of centuries perhaps keeps him out of the spotlight. Although, he has as many centuries as Elgar, Latham and Pujara. More than Rahane, Bairstow and Stokes.

1705321050740.png

That concludes my TED talk.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Angelo Mathews

Always a fan but he seemed to drop off a bit. However, when you look at his numbers he's up there with the best of his contemporaries.

Last ten years.

In the much lauded 'SENA' grouping for minimum 30 innings:

Ranks in the Top 10 with an average of 45.60

Highest Asian batter, second is Kohli at 42.52, although Kohli has played more that twice the number of matches.
View attachment 289336

Globally, batters who have played 100 innings, he ranks 6th.

I suppose being Sri Lankan and not quite the number of centuries perhaps keeps him out of the spotlight. Although, he has as many centuries as Elgar, Latham and Pujara. More than Rahane, Bairstow and Stokes.

View attachment 289334

That concludes my TED talk.

The real reason why he’s been out of the spotlight is because of injuries. The man had the potential to be up there with the Fab Four and at the start of 2016 was averaging fifty before his slump hit. Has to take a share of the blame since his fitness has been poor regardless of his injury prone nature.

Users who are viewing this thread