Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
The amount of medicore T20 leagues at the moment is a joke - it’s an easy money grab for medicore players that know they won’t be the international XI.

Atleast when you had the Champions T20 Trophy, there was some sort of competition between these leagues.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
AP is one of those North Eastern sides forced into fielding a team due to the interference of the Supreme Court. It is akin to say a Brazil 3rd XI playing Australia.
Post automatically merged:

AP is one of those North Eastern sides forced into fielding a team due to the interference of the Supreme Court. It is akin to say a Brazil 3rd XI playing Australia.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

As expected, ZEE turning out be be a bunch of dunderheads here.

Remember, this ain't the 1st time they've gone rogue. They did this during 2003, then followed up the cry-baby act with the BCCI rights in 2004, launched the ICL, got themselves banned.

Disney Star should have known better than to trust these guys. Then again, ZEE was supposed to do a Joint Venture with Sony-ESPN. Disney was quite reluctant to hold the TV rights here and know they've bid a humongous amount here. The only outcome I see from this is them sub-letting these rights to either Reliance or Sony for a much lower valuation.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys

As expected, ZEE turning out be be a bunch of dunderheads here.

Remember, this ain't the 1st time they've gone rogue. They did this during 2003, then followed up the cry-baby act with the BCCI rights in 2004, launched the ICL, got themselves banned.

Disney Star should have known better than to trust these guys. Then again, ZEE was supposed to do a Joint Venture with Sony-ESPN. Disney was quite reluctant to hold the TV rights here and know they've bid a humongous amount here. The only outcome I see from this is them sub-letting these rights to either Reliance or Sony for a much lower valuation.
They are still on that ICC rights even after 20+ years.

They are like that obsessive lover which is not giving up on their crush they never had.

Edit - Their crush got divorced and they are still looking for another shot. :D

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Atleast when you had the Champions T20 Trophy, there was some sort of competition between these leagues.
I feel like there’s a lot of historical revisionism around the CLT20. It was a BCCI creature with half the IPL teams playing in it and retaining all their overseas players that had played for other franchises too, instead of a more equitable structure.

Bevab

Staff Member
I feel like there’s a lot of historical revisionism around the CLT20. It was a BCCI creature with half the IPL teams playing in it and retaining all their overseas players that had played for other franchises too, instead of a more equitable structure.

A lot of it has to do with people wishing something like it did work out. I think the cricket landscape wasn’t quite ready for it back then too since there weren’t much T20 franchise leagues then.

It aligns with a post I wanted to make here too… is there just too much T20 franchise cricket being played? I don’t mind having the odd T20 game to tune into but a few weeks ago the scenario was… BBL, SA20, ILT20 or the BPL. It’s just way too much to try to follow and just like cricket not having as many “big” names to have unique representation per league… I’m not sure they have enough people interested to follow those leagues properly in the long run. A few weeks from now and we’ll have the PSL starting… and then the IPL. The IPL is tolerable partly because it is the only T20 league on at that time.

Not sure if this is a sign of me becoming older or there just being too much cricket to follow for one person.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
A lot of it has to do with people wishing something like it did work out. I think the cricket landscape wasn’t quite ready for it back then too since there weren’t much T20 franchise leagues then.

It aligns with a post I wanted to make here too… is there just too much T20 franchise cricket being played? I don’t mind having the odd T20 game to tune into but a few weeks ago the scenario was… BBL, SA20, ILT20 or the BPL. It’s just way too much to try to follow and just like cricket not having as many “big” names to have unique representation per league… I’m not sure they have enough people interested to follow those leagues properly in the long run. A few weeks from now and we’ll have the PSL starting… and then the IPL. The IPL is tolerable partly because it is the only T20 league on at that time.

Not sure if this is a sign of me becoming older or there just being too much cricket to follow for one person.

To be honest, with the calendar and the amount of T20 leagues going on at the moment, half of them are mediocre. The ILT20 is a retirement league with a few stars, the BPL has the worst pitches I have ever seen (akin to them playing Test matches). There are talks of a Saudi League which dilutes the talent even more. The advantage goes to mediocre cricketers who will get paid large sums of money to travel the globe because the international circuit isn't going to be for them.

I used to watch every game of the IPL back in uni, but I generally find it so repetitive and boring. I usually just have it on in the background as noise.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Champions League is one of those things that sounds like good idea because they have such things in other sports, but others sports don't have players playing for six or ten teams a year. The way cricket franchises operate is not practical, in my opinion.

Players playing for multiple teams which will likely end up at the richest one when it comes to who they play for.
Another factor is no other league can sign Indian players, so they have an advantage. What if Birmingham (Bears or Phoenix) were to lose Moeen to CSK in such a tournament, it's not like they could sign Kohli or Pandya, but CSK could (if Moeen chose to play for Birmingham) sign anyone to replace him.

I've never seen an example of 'well to counteract that, you could do this...' that would be feasible when some teams will always have an advantage.

You could do one featuring domestic teams (e.g county or state) where you would likely avoid it but not all nations have a non-franchise T20 tournament. Also, I doubt anyone would be that interested.

The other option, given how a small number of people have bought up so many teams would be a tournament featuring franchises (e.g. Knight Riders, Super Kings etc). But at that point it is just a tournament to see who is the best billionaire.

If the ICC had any good leadership or foresight, 'Champions League T20' SHOULD have been how T20 internationals are structured in some form (league system or different groups). That way they have some meaning beyond just a money-making scheme in between World Cups.

Beyond that, the IPL is essentially the Champions League of cricket because that's where you can see all the best players in the world.

Bevab

Staff Member
To be honest, with the calendar and the amount of T20 leagues going on at the moment, half of them are mediocre. The ILT20 is a retirement league with a few stars, the BPL has the worst pitches I have ever seen (akin to them playing Test matches). There are talks of a Saudi League which dilutes the talent even more. The advantage goes to mediocre cricketers who will get paid large sums of money to travel the globe because the international circuit isn't going to be for them.

I used to watch every game of the IPL back in uni, but I generally find it so repetitive and boring. I usually just have it on in the background as noise.

If the BPL actually led with their trademark being ‘T20s but in test conditions’ and had a couple of funky rules it would be worth watching. As it stands it’s just another short and volatile T20 league with team names that make no sense filled with the best of Bangladesh and whoever couldn’t land a more lucrative deal elsewhere.

I don’t know what’s in for the Saudis to make a T20 league frankly, I’ve said it before too. There’s little to be gained by ‘sportswashing’ via cricket compared to football since the biggest audience for T20 is located in the subcontinent and I have no idea what they would gain by pandering to us folk (I’m aware that they do sponsor the IPL but that’s a relatively easy way to get eyeballs compared to organising an entire league). If anything… it would make sense for them to organise a test league with some of the best test players out there. A lot of quality FC cricketers don’t get T20 deals or play a ton of white ball games who could be recruited for some quality cricket and they could easily appeal to the cricket aristocracy in the UK and Australia which sounds more up their alley of sportswashing.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I fully agree with this. If the CLT20 had worked it genuinely could have changed cricket. It's hard not to feel anemoia about it.

I am genuinely quite curious what it might have grown into now, with all the franchise leagues about.

I think this is a reflection on the quality of the product available, not the quantity.

There isn't too much football just because all of the European leagues are going at once, with CL and EL games in midweek, because every team in each of those competitions matters to people, and they almost all have their own unique identities.

Compare that to the cricket landscape where pop up tournaments are run with invented teams owned by the same people, and employing the same coaches and players. They are all designed to vaguely appeal to the exact same target audience, which will leave that target audience looking at that sea of mediocrity and not really caring.

Ironically, this is what makes the T20 Blast and Super Smash the two leagues outside of the Indian subcontinent with the most passionate fan followings.

Why not both?

Users who are viewing this thread