New Idea - <not realted to BLC/SWC>

Sriram

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why dont, we (ppl posting in the forum) start a OPEN SOURCE cricket game I think it would be fun and we can also learn a lot.Not to mention the endless hours of fun if it turns out to be playable.Though I do not know much of programming I think many people in the forum would be interested in making such a game.If anybody thinks it is a good idea then please reply.

Ben

Club Cricketer
I agree with u Sriram,
I think BLC is a great game;the best simulation cricket game ever; but the thing is we've come to the end of things we can edit,we've been able to edit lots of things but the really important stuff( eg. Gameplay,Animations,Player models) we cannot change and probably never will.
So I think it is time we make a freeware simulation game , I do not know much about programming but I would be willing to help out in any way towards a new game.
But u managed to make the field editor so u might know a bit more than me about programming, but surely our knowledge and love of cricket should be our main advantage in an open source venture.

Sriram

School Cricketer
Ben,
The first thing we would need to decide would be whether we want to make an Arcade game like BLC or stimulated game like ITC or ICC.Though an arcade game would be better it would require lots of complex programming which I dont'know.
Wheres a stimulated cricket game would be easier to develop but less fun to play.
I would vote for the stimulated one because we could collect player data from members of the forum from different countries and have a huge player database.
Also we will have to decide which language the game will be in.I am just a beginner so I only know a bit of VB.
You are right , Ben when you say that our love for cricket is what drives us not only to make a game but also play BLC and visit this forum.

Waiting for replies.

(Edited by Sriram at 4:56 pm on April 17, 2001)

SHUBHAM

School Cricketer
That is a pretty good idea, we all should try to make a very good arcade game like blc,the only thing to worry is programming.I am ready to try to help you in all the possible way I can.

Ben

Club Cricketer
Hi Sriram and ppl,
the problem I have is that if we made a game like ITC or ICC that would be alright...but,there are several good games coming through like Stumped,WCM,ICC 2001 and if we did a game like this it would be very similar to these,so there would not be much point,although if we did a game like this I would be very willing to help,especially with databases of players,grounds etc.
I think an arcade game would be excellent....but the problem with that would be that we don't know that much about programming.
But I would be interested in all ideas from ppl.

Shaliesh (old)

Club Cricketer
Arcade game is an excellent idea but very hard because it involves complex graphics coding and requires different type of programming than most of us do. It also needs artwork, sound etc that are used. So unless we have a experienced game programmer in the lead, it'll be very tough.
What I would like is if by any chance we can get CodeMasters to supply us the source code (i.e. make it open) I'm sure we can get into it and do wonders. Although it looks unlikely that they will..but do u guys think we should give it a try?

Also if anyone has an idea, I'd like to contribute in any way I can. Just wondering, How about a simulation game that we can play through e-mail?

(Edited by Shailesh at 8:57 pm on April 17, 2001)

Mike

School Cricketer
I recently e-mailed Codemasters regarding some info on some .cfg files, and they replied that the original programmers for BLC are no longer with the company, so they didn't know what the relevant lines meant. So I don't think they'll be able or even want to make the source code open.

Hari

School Cricketer
Guys,writing a arcade game is beyond scope ,Im ready to help you guys out regarding coding.
The best way is to get codemasters to release the code or atleast a major portion since they have discontinued the series.Bombard them with mail?

SHUBHAM

School Cricketer
HI there to Hari, Ben,Sriram and all the guys present here we should try our best to make a very good arcade game ,I am ready to provide you all the sounds and all the data required related to players ,dresses grounds, sounds.We should try to make the game in the same way as codemasters make ie: we should follow the same format like the cfg file etc.

Aamir

School Cricketer
hi
why dont u ask Codemasters to give u the contact of the Programers , some of the programers of BLC are making EA's Cricket 2002 for PS2

Shaliesh (old)

Club Cricketer
We should consider sending Codemasters an email on behalf of all of us requesting to make the source code open. We can also show them various type of work we have done to enhance BLC.
May be we should represent ourselves as BLC Online rather than individual requests?

Sriram

School Cricketer
hi,
I think hari has hit the nail on the head when he says that developing an arcade game is beyond scope.
I think we should try to develop a stimulation game.
Already we have a brilliant idea by shailesh about having a play by E Mail game.Though it is supported by ITC I wonder how many of us have registered it.I think we could get a whole lot of good ideas and develop a good game with ppls help.

If there are more replies I will be starting another thread in the general forum to get some ideas about the algorithm for the stimulation game.

So let the ideas flow !!!
Thanks

(Edited by Sriram at 6:54 am on April 19, 2001)

Ste (old)

Club Cricketer
Ive got the email address of a programmer for the Playstation version of Codemasters. So I can email your questions to him about .cfg files. He however does not have any info on gbb files and is currently quite busy working on football games (UEFA Challenge) for Infogrammes.

Also if you want a project website, forum or anything else for the open source game BLC Online would be very pleased to help you.

sukku

Club Cricketer
oh !! WOW thats great to hear from ste about blc programmers of psx......can u ask him about how to edit the existing pitch/weather/stadiums/options conditions....abt open source of blc also

sukku

Users who are viewing this thread