Accessibility for the more casual Cricket fan.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Can you post your PC specs so the developers can target just above it for the minimum requirements?

Don't forget that it will only be on PS4 for console...

----------

Odds are that will happen even if Colin doesn't post his specs.

But, I agree about the graphics part. It's not like they are any great either. If it's worth, I am all for it. But, if they are going to be anything like AC09 then, the specs should be low.

I've only got three computer games anyway. AC09, IC10 and one of the PESes.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Posted this already in the official forum, anyway here is my view...
While there are many ways to teach the newcomers the way of cricket, how about the traditional way everyone have been taught how to play cricket? With some personal experience, i guess this was how it was done...

BATTING:-
Throw downs->Sock-ball/hang-ball->Net-sessions with mid-level bowlers->Net-sessions with bowling machine->Net-sessions with pro bowlers->Practice arena for finding gaps and running between wickets.

BOWLING:-
Bowling action->Just hitting the stumps while bowling->Target practice(line and length)->Speed and dynamics->Bowling to skilled batsmen->Practice matches.

FIELDING:-
Receive, pickup and throw to Wicket Keeper(WK)->Chasing from infield to outfield and throw back to WK->Pickup and hit the stumps->Slip catches->Infield catching and flat->Outfield and high catches.

The implementation in a game would require some changes and hence I suggest the following ways:
BATTING SCHOOL:-
1.The player is shown the key mappings and asked to practice the footwork and play defensive and mildly aggressive drives into the ground for throw downs given by a coach.Footwork Skill taught
2.Net-Sessions with varied bowlers(categorised as fast, fast medium, medium, off spin and leg spin. Left and Right handed). The coach advises to apply the same technique learnt in the previous tutorial and get the balance and timing right.Timing and Balance Skills taught
3.Bowling machine net sessions for practicing varied shot selection for an already set line and length, to determine which shot is most appropriate and will yield a better result. Thus this will ensure the player wont try to play a back-foot pull or hook when he sees a full length ball lol!Shot Selection Skill taught
4.Arena practice. The coach will now advice on how to find the gaps between varied field placings. And impart the importance of scoring in the 'V' area i.e. infront of the wicket and how much that can help prevent mistimed shots and improve confidence early on in an innings and let the batsman settle.Finding gap and Playing according to the field Skill taught
5.Match Scenario. A particular number of balls are provided and a run target is set which is to be only reached through ground shots. The coach advises to target the gaps, judging the runs to be taken off a hit and how to approach the set target calculating the remaining balls left.Running between the wickets, Target Approach Skills taught
6.Final Report Card. If the player achieves a B or above he is taught the Lofted Shot. Unless the player masters these basics there is no need for Lofted Shots.

BOWLING SCHOOL:-
1.Bowling action. The momentum build-up from start point to popping crease and then releasing the ball.(I would suggest the use of sprint button and make the player move and press jump button to land before the no-ball crease{side no-ball crease accounted} and another button press to the release point which decides the length and yes the direction key determines the line) This would reduce the number of no-balls.Bowling run-up Taught
2.Hitting the stumps. Before targeting specific areas the player needs focus on hitting the stumps alone so he does not bowl a lot of wides.Controlled Bowling Skill taught
3.Hitting the target area. A specific area is given and the player is expected to hit that area consistently. The coach gives the theory about lines and lengths and how they affect a batsman.Precision Bowling Skill taught
4.Speed, Swing, Spin and other special deliveries tutorial. The coach teaches the importance of mixing up the speed in a limited overs match and use of swing in early overs as well as test matches. Importance of finding the footmarks, cracks for spinners are also taught. Theory on reverse swing, knuckle ball, Wrong one, Doorsara, Carom Ball etc are given.Dynamic Bowling Skill taught
5.Practice arena. Again scenarios are given were the bowler needs to restrict a batting team to a particular number of runs for the given number of balls. Here the difference is not the number of runs for each scenario but the type of batsman; defensive, stroke maker, slogger and tail ender. The next set of scenario is to get the batsman beaten and give up his wicket. The minor details on various tactics employed to get the batsman out are discussed. Appealing for a wicket is included. This will be the single biggest tutorial.The Idea of Bowling and finer details taught
6.Final Report Card.
Some inspiration clip at the end maybe like: Montage of Clean Bowled, King of Spin

FIELDING SCHOOL:-
1.Key mappings are displayed and the player is asked to run, pickup, aim and throw.Basic Ground Fielding taught
2.The player is asked to Dive, slide and the coach tells the significance of staying inside the boundary rope and fielding the ball.Advanced Ground Fielding taught
3.Hitting the stumps drill. This tutorial concentrates only on hitting the stumps by direct hit method and backing up.Precision Fielding taught
3.Catching. Slip catches, flat catches and high catches. The importance of timing the catch, jump or dive is showcased.Catching Skill taught
4.Practice arena. Match scenario to stop the balls/catch them if possible. Reflex catching introduced.Overall Fielding Skill taught
5.Wicket Keeper goes through all the above but stays at the receiving end of a throw.Wicket Keeping Skill taught
6.Final Report Card.
Some inspirational montage again: Catches, Runouts

Note:- The report cards can be given great significance, earning them rewards. This will keep them working for it.

Now once these basics are taught, the player needs to undergo proper match practice before entering into the professional scene. Hence, set-up 2 games per limited overs format and a 3 day Test match. As the player progresses through the play, keep the tips and advises coming in. It will be a learning platform and helps develop match awareness.

Note:- Not all things can be taught at the same time. While playing matches, there will always be a senior player at the crease. Tips are shared. Only after playing a lot of matches did any of the greats attain the formidable form and experience. Let the player too attain that naturally. Guide him initially but let him fly on his own once its time.

And one for the spirit of the game...WorldCup2011BestMomentsMontage

Hope this post helps
Cheers! :)

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...I kinda like the idea of getting "throwdowns" from a "Cricket Star" (or commentator) instead of the burnt-out concept of "net practice". That's actually a neat little twist. Some neat ideas there.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah. I also do believe if this process was taken seriously enough, there wouldn't be any need for bowling markers too. If Im going to stand in for a Brett Lee ball, its obvious Im not going to be able to know where its gonna pitch and play it without being late; which is what is happening with everyone in the games.
Therefore there is a chance of evolving the whole gaming process. It might be too late for this game but certainly something that should be noted for future games, I hope so.

coolz_hari

International Coach
Yeah. I also do believe if this process was taken seriously enough, there wouldn't be any need for bowling markers too. If Im going to stand in for a Brett Lee ball, its obvious Im not going to be able to know where its gonna pitch and play it without being late; which is what is happening with everyone in the games.
Therefore there is a chance of evolving the whole gaming process. It might be too late for this game but certainly something that should be noted for future games, I hope so.

Playing without bowling marker will be up there in future. It should be optional. Those who are hard core gamers can choose without marker. For Field settings there must be a pop out box always . And timing liberty can be given to those playing without bowling marker.

Users who are viewing this thread