CM10: The Red Fury

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
16893643.png

Double scoop for Kaka at the World Cup awards

Brazilian attacker Ricardo Kaka might not have been able to lift the World Cup this year but he has been named the winner of both the Golden Shoe and Golden ball accolades.

2gwdvh1.jpg

"Its a great feeling for me to win these special awards but I am upset I could win the most important prize of them all. Hopefully I'll get another chance at that in 4 years time," said the Real Madrid player at the ceremony having scored 8 goals and assisting in 4 more during the tournament.

Spain's Fernando Torres and Iker Casillas were awarded the Silver and Bronze balls respectively. Torres actually finished joint top-scorer in the tournament with Kaka on 8 goals, but lost out on the Golden shoe prize as the Brazilian had more number of assists. Luis Fabiano's 7 goals could only get him the Bronze shoe. Casillas was named the winner of the Yashin award for best goalkeeper.

Spain and Brazil dominated the team of the tournament as well even though they never really got to play each other.

Golden Ball: Kaka (BRA), Silver Ball: Fernando Torres (ESP), Bronze Ball: Iker Casillas (ESP)
Golden Shoe: Kaka (BRA), Silver Shoe: Fernando Torres (ESP), Bronze Shoe: Luis Fabiano (BRA)

Team of the Tournament:

Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas (ESP)
Defender: Sergio Ramos (ESP)
Defender: Per Mertesacker (GER)
Defender: Gerard Pique (ESP)
Defender: Kleber (BRA)
Midfielder: Santi Cazorla (ESP)
Midfielder: Kaka (BRA)
Midfielder: Ronaldinho (BRA)
Midfielder: Andrea Cossu (ITA)
Forward: Fernando Torres (ESP)
Forward: Luis Fabiano (BRA)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
marcalogothumb250x83212.jpg

Marcos Senna announces international retirement

Spain's Brazilian born defensive midfielder Marcos Senna has decided to end his international career just weeks after lifting the country's first ever World Cup.

610xv.jpg

Senna made the annoucement when he was unveiled at AS Roma this morning.

"I had decided long back that this World Cup would be last international tournament. I am 34 now and will almost 36 during Euro 2012, and with so many talented young players coming up now its only fair that the older guys make way for the next generation.

"I thank God for having been able to taste success [in the World Cup] in my final attempt. Winning that trophy was the best thing that has ever happened to me as a footballer," said Senna.

The midfielder however stated that he still had enough football and ambition left in him, and that he was fully focused on his new challenge in Italy.

"This is a new chapter in my life. I have enjoyed my time at Villarreal and Spain, but its about doing well here at Roma. I have always wanted to play in Serie-A and am glad to be here now," he added.

Senna spent eight seasons with Villarreal before making his €6.2 million move to Roma. He played in all but one of Spain's matches at the World Cup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread