EATM - Extra Quality ATI Owners Only

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
EATM?

What is it?
The EATM setting is an alpha coverage on Transparent Alpha tests and blends

What does that mean?
Well, it add an extra level of detail to other objects which dont get any aa treatment.

Here is one of the reasons why I'm going bonkers for EATM.

World of Warcraft is a poster child to show-case EATM due to the amazing amount of Alpha tests in the title. Awesome to see others use the title as well to offer their gaming views!

Sorry about the night-time shot....but by going back-and-forth you get the idea of what EATM can do to help bring more immersion to existing games.

Performance Adaptive:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1...ormanceye8.jpg

EATM:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1410/eatmso1.jpg

It's not just the idea of more alpha test detail --- but the sheer performance of the feature. And by adding more multi-sampling, well, you garner more alpha test IQ -- meaning detail and curbing shimmering.

There isn't much doubt that this feature is being developed for the R-600; and we are enjoying the by-product of it.

Having CrossFire offers the ability to see how this feature looks like with multi-sampling over x14 AA. And is simply a treat when you consider the sheer performance, too. Awesome frigg'n feature!

Here is another example
WoWScrnShot.gif

On some games, it wont make much difference but on others it will.

So, now you ask how do i enable this since it isnt available in the ccc. Well this is the trick part, its only tricky if you arent comfortable with your windows registry.

First access you registry, Start>Run>Type>regedit.

Backup your existing registry, so if anything goes wrong you have a chance to restore it.

Then you need to add EATM and ATMSHARPENMODE to the main ATI video director in the registry as a string and then give it a value of 1. It will differ for each system.

To do this you will need to navigate to
HKEYLOCALMACHINE
SYSTEM
CURRENTCONTROLSET
CONTROL
VIDEO

Now, you should see many entries like this below (number will be different)
{08BB789B-ACAA-462C-A817-D29DB9EF1196}
{23A77BF7-ED96-40EC-AF06-9B1F4867732A}
{8B6D7859-A639-4A15-8790-7161976D057A}
{DEB039CC-B704-4F53-B43E-9DD4432FA2E9}

These are the driver folders installed on your pc.

It will look abit like this
alphawy5.jpg

Now, you see on the left, the video tab is open, you need to go into the tab
and click on the 0000. Once you have found the right one you will see lots of settings in the right hand pane, it is in this one that you add the registry strings. So, add EATM as a new string value (right click anywhere on the right pane window to bring up the option) and put it as 1. Then do the same for ATMSHARPENMODE, again put it as 1. Now back to the left pane, you must do this for each entry.

For example, say the top number on the left is
{08BB789B-ACAA-462C-A817-D29DB9EF1196}
You add EATM and ATMSHARPENMODE for each one. Then move onto the next number below it in the left hand pane.

After you have added them all, it should look like this below. (the ones i needed to add it to (the 0000) have a little plus sign next to them, meaning i need to open those and add the string settings in there. Yours should be something like this if not identical.

Try to update your ati drivers to 7.2 or 7.3 before doing this, as this feature isnt supported aswell on the 6xx series drivers.

Any probs, give me a shout. :thumbs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread