MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
As you'll all have noticed, the other day I put up a video capture of the Cricket Academy to show its features off - but it was very poor quality.

I did that using the free CamStudio, and since then have been looking at alternatives, knowing that I'll probably be making a lot of screen recordings once the new cricket game(s) come out.

I've basically narrowed it down to two options, Fraps or Dxtory - now both chuck out files that are way too big to upload raw, but they don't seem to slow down the games while capturing as much as I remember the last time I tried out fraps.

I've encoded the two videos following with the same settings, and while they aren't perfect quality, they are certainly manageable file sizes for uploading in HD.

Let me know if you can see any obvious differences - both are almost exactly the same price, so I have no real preference at this point. Fraps' file output is smaller, but the frame rate measurement in Dxtory was slightly better while playing - though both had no noticeable slowdown playing at full res. Perhaps that's because of an older game, but if Don Bradman Cricket doesn't play well on my machine I'll be looking at an upgrade anyway.

Because the demo limitations are different, here's a Cricket Academy video from Dxtory.

Any feedback on quality or any experience with either piece of software would be appreciated before I pull the trigger. I'm leaning towards Dxtory at this point.

Last edited:
Everything's fine dxtory expect that huge watermark. Anyways fraps will be always to best option to use for capturing game vids and also has a very small watermark.

Everything's fine dxtory expect that huge watermark. Anyways fraps will be always to best option to use for capturing game vids and also has a very small watermark.
The watermarks are just on the trial versions, I'll be buying one of them which makes that a non issue.

I watched both in 720 HD. Both look almost the same but some small differences i noticed where that the "Text" written in the boards were more clear in Dxtory than Fraps. On the other hand, the Fraps video had a tad little better graphics espically when the car got wrecked. But thats just a tad better. So i would suggest Dxtory :thumbs

You could try using OBS but not the streaming part, you can record using it I believe

I've used both- Dxtory and Fraps. But I'd suggest the one which gives better fps and output quality. I always use Fraps. It doesn't matter how much file size the output video obtains.
I always use the software called HandBrake. It compresses the video file size without decreasing the video quality. Its a freeware tool.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've gone for Dxtory in the end - and I think got really good results.

Perhaps only minute differences but i normally fall towards using fraps. I used it a few times to upload videos from F12012 and BF3.

Fraps never slowed the game down when capturing, but i tended to save the videos onto a separate hard drive just to ensure it does not cause any slow downs.

I'm currently having a problem with Dxtory. When I record CA using DXtory video codec (default).. screen goes black and it automatically exits CA and stops my recording even it doesn't show any file in output folder & If I record other game then it works well while recording and even gives me an output file too but when I play that file in vlc it does not even support xtor built-in AVI codec and it doesn't play that output video. :(

Edit : I've used it earlier but it was working well before I had formatted my pc.

Last edited:
Something I found when researching, and part of what put me over the line was this. Give it a go with that.

Try it in plain old Media Player as well.

Users who are viewing this thread