How to use PS3 on A Mac and/or Laptop??

D

Dutch

Okay to make a long story very short: I have "lost" my TV.

It's a long adventure involving the Napoli Mafia, three ostriches, a barmaid from Swansea, two jars of Mama Browns Real Pickled Onions, vaseline, the entire content of the Wikileaks defence case and a partridge in a pear tree.

Don't worry about the details, it's gone!

My question is this: has anyone been successful, actually successful with connecting and using their PS3 to a laptop or Mac.

All the answers in the direction of;

"I think so", "should be possible", "no way", "my brother once dated a girl who's mother used to know the taxi driver who....."

although highly respected and thought kindly of are as about as much use to me as a night out disco-dancing and Karaoke with Stephen Hawkins.

If you have been successful how did you do it? What do I need? Thanks.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
You're not connecting it to the mac but to the monitor. It depends on what input cables your monitor has. Mine has HDMI hence I can run my mac and my PS3 off the same monitor.
I'm pretty sure that if you have VGA or DVI you're out of luck.

D

Dutch

You're not connecting it to the mac but to the monitor. It depends on what input cables your monitor has. Mine has HDMI hence I can run my mac and my PS3 off the same monitor.
I'm pretty sure that if you have VGA or DVI you're out of luck.

Ah thank Colin. Now I should have said that the Mac is a Macbook. That probably makes a huge difference, right? Is there a hdmi/usb adapter that might work or do I need something else??

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well you said laptop or mac so I assumed that you had a monitor somewhere. Macbooks have an annoying mini DVI slot that doesn't really connect to anything expect an adapter to something else.
I'm sure you can buy a mini DVI to hdmi adapter somewhere.

Having done all that I still wouldn't be 100% sure that the macbook screen would work :p

D

Dutch

Well you said laptop or mac so I assumed that you had a monitor somewhere. Macbooks have an annoying mini DVI slot that doesn't really connect to anything expect an adapter to something else.
I'm sure you can buy a mini DVI to hdmi adapter somewhere.

Having done all that I still wouldn't be 100% sure that the macbook screen would work :p

Do you just connect your PS3 via the computer monitor directly with a HDMI cable and that works no problem??

D

Dutch

Yup but that's to a monitor rather than a macbook screen.

I think the problem indeed lies in the fact that the computer screen has its own power source whereas the laptop screen is dependant on the computer starting up for it to work.....mmmmm.

I will see if I can find me a computer monitor somewhere.........mmmm, where's the neighbour going now and where is my fishing rod......

Users who are viewing this thread