New to Cricket 04

petesnook

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi.

I've only recently started getting into 'real' cricket, and picked up a copy of Cricket 04 for the PS2 the other day (for 20p in a second-hand shop!!!). I am still learning (mainly as I know so little about the real game), but am really enjoying it so far.

I was thinking of getting the later '07 version, as that's also available quite cheap from play.com, but I've been reading some of the posts and reviews etc on this site and have got the impression that although the graphics look better in the PS2 '07 version, '04 is actually the better game - is that correct?

Also, I've been doing some practice in the nets, and playing a few innings with my native Hampshire, but am having a lot of trouble remembering which type of hit to play depending on where the bowl is pitched. Are there any resources which would help with this?

Cheers

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Cricket 07 has better graphics but on the whole it is a horrible game. Cricket 04 and 05 are by far better in terms of gameplay. The trouble is that 04 and 05 are so much more catered towards the PC platform, rather than PS2. You can patch the games using downloads on here to make the game as good as possible, eliminating annoying bugs and getting even more realism. I would recommend you get 04 or 05 on PC if anything, and certainly do not get 07 as it is a waste of money.

petesnook

School Cricketer
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Cricket 04 will run under Windows 7? I do have a laptop with XP, but it's only got a built-in Intel graphics card, so may not run it?

Cheers

D

Dutch

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Cricket 04 will run under Windows 7? I do have a laptop with XP, but it's only got a built-in Intel graphics card, so may not run it?

Cheers

Yep! I run it on windows 7 on a laptop with masses of antialiasing: framerates of 60 or whatever. Smooth as a baby's bum! What video card are you using?

dutchad added 4 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I would add that I find the patched version of Cricket 04 to be the best game in terms of game play with cricket 05 a close second. The leap between graphics from 04 to 05 is quite big so if you like your visuals then it would be 05. Personally I am thoroughly enjoying my season with Kent in 04.

At the end of day 2 in a four day match Kent are 146 for 4 chasing Leicester's 379 for 9. Zgood run-rates, proper shots, good atmosphere, intelligent AI moves.:)

Tried playing "the cream of the cream" Ashes 09: just doesn't match in terms of game play. Awful pacing and animations.

Hitterman

International Coach
I would add that I find the patched version of Cricket 04 to be the best game in terms of game play with cricket 05 a close second. The leap between graphics from 04 to 05 is quite big so if you like your visuals then it would be 05. Personally I am thoroughly enjoying my season with Kent in 04.
Cricket 2004 was a big improvement after Cricket 2002 but after Cricket 2005 they went even lower than the level of Cricket 2002 in terms of Gameplay.

petesnook

School Cricketer
Hi

Thanks for the replies. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M, and I am running Windows 7, 64-bit.

I picked up Ashes 2009 the other day (for ?9.98). It looks fantastic, but I can see what you mean about the pacing - the Cricket 2004 game I have on the PS2 feels much more natural.

I don't think graphics are everything, but if 2005 is a good game, and looks better than 2004, I might go for 2005.

Thanks again

D

Dutch

Hi

Thanks for the replies. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M, and I am running Windows 7, 64-bit.

I picked up Ashes 2009 the other day (for ?9.98). It looks fantastic, but I can see what you mean about the pacing - the Cricket 2004 game I have on the PS2 feels much more natural.

I don't think graphics are everything, but if 2005 is a good game, and looks better than 2004, I might go for 2005.

Thanks again

Yeah I think cricket 2005 is a big graphical leap from 2004 but you will come across a number of bugs etcetera if you dont patch it.

petesnook

School Cricketer
I've decided to go for 2004 on the PC (Play.com for ?1.99!!!).

Is there a list of 'must-have' patches/updates for the game? I've been looking at the sticky thread, but am finding it a bit confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread