New Zealand

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yea but still nowhere near Mills standard.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, the development of Tim Southee as a bowler over the last few months has been outstanding. Allan Donald will get a lot of the credit most likely, and rightfully so might I add but Southee's improvement really began imo during the Indian test series in November, he was outstanding in the last two tests imo, likewise in the two test matches at home against Pakistan, before Donald actually joined the team.

Donald's influence on Tim Southee is rather obvious however, he's become a lot more aggressive since Donald joined the team, something a lot us wanted to see. Sure his follow through has been worked on and he's added a few more K's to his bowling speed but that added aggression and the want to lead from the front has definitely helped improve his bowling ten fold.

The best swing bowler in the world in 12 months, I hope so.

ferg512

International Coach
I was also pretty happy to see this new found aggression. By the whole team really, that was awesome seeing them give it to du plessis. Southee looks like a more than capable replacement for Mills as the leader of the attack and he can do so in tests as well. It was also awesome to see how stoked Donald was when we won.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Looking towards the next few years:

1. Guptill - 24
2. Nicol - 27 (He has to be given a proper opportunity sooner or later, also he can cover Styris' overs)
3. Ryder - 26
4. Taylor - 27
5. Williamson - 20
6. B McCullum - 29
7. N McCullum - 30
8. Oram - 32 ?
9. Vettori - 32 ?
10. Mills - 32 ?
11. Southee - 22

McCullum has to move back down the order, for obvious reasons. Styris is more or leass gone, so I haven't bothered including him. Interestingly Oram, Vettori and Mills are all 32, and have all had their fair share of injuries, so i wouldn't be backing any of them to be around for 2015. I'd obviously be looking to keep Vettori there, but I think one of Oram/Mills will have to make way for someone a lot younger, if not now at least around 2013, two years out from the 2015 World Cup.

Other squad members:

Franklin/How - They've both had way too many opportunities
Woodcock - He should probably remain in the setup as cover for N McCullum/Vettori
McKay/Tuffey - They're both on the wrong side of 30, so I'd probably be looking towards someone a lot younger to replace one of/both of Oram/Mills
Bennett - His major concern is obviously his injuries, having only been in the international game for however long, he's already gone down twice

Chewie

BCCI President
Will be interesting to see what Vettori decides. He's given up T20Is, and is thinking about giving up ODIs. Reckon we should get Boult in :) And Flynn :) (and why not the rest of the ND side while we're at it :spy)

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Another world cup and another Semi Final defeat for Black Caps. They have to get this monkey off their back.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'd say both Mills and Oram will try to make the 2015 WC, both have shown they can still compete against the top teams just injury have hit them hard and once again hit Mills this WC. Oram is probably enjoying finally finding his role in the team as a bowling all rounder and looking to make up for unfinished business.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I heard Simon Doull on commentary saying that a lot of the credit for Southee's re-emergence goes to his fitness trainers in Auckland/Christchurch (can't remember) and the man himself for doing the hard yards and getting himself in top shape. I feel NZ have a keeper there, they should focus on his development and he'll be a force to reckon with in the not-too-distant future.

----------

Btw, Callum, you have mentioned the other squad members, but surely New Zealand have some young upcoming talent who will get their runs in the national setup? Someone from outside the current squad, I mean. Someone maybe lighting up the domestic scene or considered to be a hot prospect in the New Zealand A/ club/university/school circuit? I'm not sure exactly how the NZ setup is.

Auwais

International Coach
Another world cup and another Semi Final defeat for Black Caps. They have to get this monkey off their back.
Given the disparity in talent at their disposal between the Kiwis and the usual favourites, it's a fantastic record.

Chewie

BCCI President
I heard Simon Doull on commentary saying that a lot of the credit for Southee's re-emergence goes to his fitness trainers in Auckland/Christchurch (can't remember) and the man himself for doing the hard yards and getting himself in top shape. I feel NZ have a keeper there, they should focus on his development and he'll be a force to reckon with in the not-too-distant future.

----------

Btw, Callum, you have mentioned the other squad members, but surely New Zealand have some young upcoming talent who will get their runs in the national setup? Someone from outside the current squad, I mean. Someone maybe lighting up the domestic scene or considered to be a hot prospect in the New Zealand A/ club/university/school circuit? I'm not sure exactly how the NZ setup is.

There are a number of players doing pretty well domestically, but the current team is pretty young as it is, so it would be pretty difficult for them to push for places in the squad.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors

Most of the players who are prominent in our domestic setup have already been tried (and failed) at the international level, the likes of Mason, Cumming, Redmond, Hopkins, Papps, Ingram, Sinclair etc.

One of our six domestic teams Central Districts have a handful of young quick's coming through, the likes of Ben Wheeler, Adam Milne, Doug Bracewell, Mitchell McClenaghan, Bevan Small.

We have a few other promising talents who've been around for a couple of years now, like Trent Boult who toured Australia last year/the year before.

In terms of batting, there's a few young players who're still too raw for the international level, like George Worker, Michael Bracewell, Tom Latham.

Of course there are the other usual suspects who'll more than likely play for New Zealand again, like Flynn, Broom, Stewart.

The talents there, but it's just about getting players to make the jump from domestic to international cricket, which so many of our players have failed to do.

Chewie

BCCI President
Flynn should definitely get another go soon. Just scored 240odd off 260 balls.
Murdoch's done well opening the batting for Wellington, and Wilson's done pretty well for ND.
Matt Henry's bowled well in his 3 FC games to date.
Todd Astle, Tarun Nethula and Roneel Hira are three spinners to look out for.
Rob Nicol was outstanding in the OD season
And I think you mentioned most of the other players who have gone well recently.

Users who are viewing this thread