The PlanetCricket View: The Captaincy debate, what?s the fuss?

Article by baggy_blogger -

It started with Brad Haddin being rested for the ODI series.
This was followed by Mickey Arthur stating Brad was still in long term plans, followed by Brad stating he felt he had been dropped.
This was then met with Matthew Wade being given his opportunity while Brad was rested.
He impressed with immediate impact in the T20s and ODIs, especially with his agility and speed behind the stumps.What may have occurred in Brad?s case is that what was initially intended to be a rest to give Matt Wade a chance may have become clouded over his long-term role due to his own inconsistencies behind the stumps in recent times and with Matt taking his opportunities.
It?s a harsh reality in this fickle game.The other issue was a personal one where I had a rare disagreement with Steve Waugh?s views over Ricky Ponting being given the Captaincy and not David Warner.

Firstly, this is a temporary solution while Michael Clarke rests up a bit so his minor injury will be nursed as he focuses on the Windies tour after the current ODI series.
It is temporary and rather it seems logical to give the leadership to a bloke who has done it many, many times and has world class experience to call upon.
Punter hasn?t had the best of starts to his limited overs series but he has the mental strength and experience to be able to focus on the two jobs at hand, batting and captaincy.

David Warner needs to find consistency in his game. He has so much skill and the last thing he needs is distraction with the premature handing over of the Captaincy, temporarily.
Judging by some of his media statements, he seems at ease with the decision of Punter to lead.
Therefore, I agree with the selectors? motives and Punter would have had a choice in accepting the responsibility, so the team should have accepted this, as should the general public.
Let David focus on his batting, fielding and allow him the space to observe and learn as a shadow as he grows as a player until he is in a senior position. No need to give him sudden duties when he has other things to focus on.

Michael Clarke is the Captain. The issue came about on a further level of debate due to Brad Haddin being left out of the side and he is the Vice-Captain.
However, contingencies need to be in place and the selectors have done this to ensure there is a solution in place. Michael will return and all will carry on as excellently as he has and should Brad, for given reasons, not make the Windies tour (even though two keepers have been spoken of for the tour) a new vice-captain can be called upon.
Shane Watson is the obvious pick but there are options as his return date is still up in the air.

My last thought was regarding Punter?s feelings of the selectors being clearer with the player?s than the public. I am glad the player?s can address these issues but I can tell you now as a supporter that this selection panel is leap years better at transparency and clarity over selections than the previous regime.
The ODI selections were explained in brief and the reasons players who were originally regulars that had been left out (e.g. Callum Ferguson, Steven Smith) were mentioned.

The selectors don?t have to declare each and every thought with us.
Yes, I have found the limited overs arena is where youth can be given extended opportunity as seniors get gradually phases out (seems to be more emphasis in the bowling department) but I accept this is the side that can win and am confident the selectors have, until this point, given sufficient reasoning behind their motives.

Good on them and this team can certainly win this series. There are no hangers on and the blend is slowly heading into the right direction for complete transformation for a stable side come 2015.

All in all, I don?t see why this has been a recent topic of debate and by looking at the scenarios it is more frustration within the team camp than anything as what is out in the media is probably ever so distorted from what the players get told.
There is a definite line where the public should be told the truth and given clarity upon selection matters/motives regarding the team or players (as we drive the games existence) but players should be given the hard facts too.

Ricky Ponting will be captain for Friday?s ODI and I have no worries about it.
I just hope the boys step up the intensity, bring back some consistency to the winning recipe and perform better in the field. It?s all about synergy.

In other news, Luke Ronchi will leave Western Australia at the end of the season to head over to New Zealand to try make his claim to get into their side.
They certainly have no fixed keeper at this point so it?s a move he will see as pure opportunity.
He was born in New Zealand and at 30 years of age he has time (having played 4 ODIs and 3 T20s for Australia).
I am an easy going bloke and I wish him all the best for the move from the Baggy Green Blog.
The article is from The Baggy Green Blog!
Thanks for reading this article written by Ian.
To comment on this article, click here.

TWITTER
@BaggyGreenBlog
@Ianbaggygreen
@Dan_Stapo

More...

Users who are viewing this thread