The Press Box | BIG WEEK: Niue set to deny World Cup visas; Khuzaimah, Charles snub internationals for Club World Cup; Denmark unveil renovated venues

HighFlyingDwarf

County Cricketer
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 22-32-55 Malta news sport opinion - Times of Malta.png

Malta bids for 2002 WCC Club World Cup

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Bricks witness wrath of the stones

_128865774_872b27aa-d23d-4eab-84a5-efc5f246ca60.jpg

Political unrest hits North Korea. The citizens of the country have united and gathered together on the streets of the country's capital city, Pyongyang. They demand the current government to give up their power and make way for a new democratic system. The government in power has strongly retaliated to their demands and refused to back out whatsoever.

With regards to the nation's cricketing body, Democratic Republic of Korea Cricket Corporation, its head quarters which are also located in Pyongyang was trespassed and vandalized by the fellow protesters. Multiple instances of damage to property were witnessed. Few officials were seen rushing to the hospital while others suffered minor injuries.

The government has hence decided to disband DKCC and it's operations until further notice.

It has also been clarified that the national team will continue to play the matches which are already scheduled in 2001. While the matches to be played in North Korea for the following year will be played under closed doors and the touring teams will be given top notch security as promised by the govenment.

Though come 2002, DKCC and the North Korean national team will cease to take part in any cricketing affairs until the political unrest is normalized.

Cease Order as declared by the Government

Last edited:

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Emerging Championship 2.png
Ambitious project of Cricket board of India, 'Emerging Championship' will be played in between 8th to 24th June 2001... Each year CBI planning to invite 'A' Teams for all over the world and organize quality One-Day competitions... This year Cricket Board of Niue ( @Till Valhalla ) , Netherlands ( @NaviN GandhI ) , Vanuatu ( @pillowprocter ) & Zimbabwe ( @mohsin7827 ) agreed to send there 'A' teams to India... First ever Emerging Championship final will be played in Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai on 24th June...​

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
EUROCON announce upcoming Test tournament "Europa League"
along with further plans from 2002 season onwards

Patterson-SuccessionFinale.jpg

EUROCON president Kendall Roy had plenty to say in his first major press conference.

EUROCON (European Confederation of Nations) officials set-up a press conference this week where plenty of announcements were made. President Kendall Roy himself attended and spoke to the press, answering all the queries in the process. While plenty of stuff was discussed, we bring you the meat of the matter among all the changes announced:

EUROCON Europa League will be the premier Test cricket competition among European nations to be held from 2002 in every alternating year (2004, 2006, etc). While the president is hopeful of all the members participating, it will most likely be 10 teams like this year's European Championship. The format for the 10-team tournament will be as follows:

• The top-ranked Test nation at the start of the year will be given a bye.
  • The rest 9 teams will be divided into three groups of three where they will play each other once.
  • The top team from each group, along with the top-ranked Test nation, will play semis followed by a final to decide the winner.
Kendall also announced that
tvg6857.png
Norway will be hosting the 2003 EUROCON Euro Cup, following their close bid for this year's edition. This decision was made unanimously by all the members.

Yes, you heard us right. The EUROCON European Championship will now be known as EUROCON Euro Cup. The reason for the name change? "It was a bit of a mouthful, wasn't it?" Roy joked but you can tell he was serious.

Another major development was the implementation of T20 cricket. WCC has already mulling over getting this new format started and Kendall said he didn't want the European nations to be left behind. "I have been talking with Müller Schwanstegger and other WCC officials and making plenty progress. You could start seeing domestic competitions soon. I can't speak with certainty on having a full-fledged T20 tournament yet but it is in our agenda."

what_language_does_tyrell_wellick_speak_with_his_wife.jpg

Vice-president Tyrell Wellick has been pushing for T20's inclusion in the international cricket circle
for some time now.

Last edited:

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
France stripped of the Knockout Trophy; new hosts to be determined at the Annual Summit
“It is believed that a new host will be chosen for the tournament at the Annual Summit in January next year.”

GL3xaGU.png

Müller Schwanstegger was greatly displeased by the shortcomings of the French Cricket Federation © WCC Press, January 6, 2001

In January, controversy erupted when it was made public that the French Cricket Federation [FCF] had failed to issue a written assurance regarding tax exemptions for the Knockout Trophy planned to be played in 2002. World Cricket Conference [WCC], as a not-for-profit organization, does not pay taxes under German law where they are currently headquartered in. It is understood that when a global event such as the Knockout Trophy is awarded to a country to host, such monetary exemptions are also expected for the tournament. Revenue generated from the tournament is distributed to all Conference members, hence a tax exemption is necessary for the Conference.

French Cricket Federation had failed in providing WCC with a written assurance from the French government and it has subsequently led to the global governing body of the sport stripping France of its hosting rights for the tournament. It is believed that a new host will be chosen for the tournament at the Annual Summit in January next year.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
INDIAN DOMESTIC SEASON 2001-02
  • Kolkata terminated contract of Bangladeshi leg spinner Nirupom Debnath, reason behind this move still unknown... Also in press meet, they revealed new signing of Egyptian captain Vaheed Al Sayed in to the team... Kolkata and Guwahati teams with mutual interest completed a player trade 0f Devendra Hirwani & Balram Sahu...
  • Fixture of 2001-02 season, announced today... Star Indian players are available for the most part of 'IOD League'... Only during Asia Cup, which schedule between 18th to 28th November, Teams will miss there service... We also made a chart of availability of Oversea signings for the 'IOD League' are mentioned below...
Code:
INDIA           [X] R12-R14             18-28 Nov
PAKISTAN        [X] R3-R9 & R12-14      12–29 Oct / 3–8 Nov / 18-28 Nov
FINLAND         [X] R10-R11 & FINAL     11–15 Nov / 10–12 Dec
ENGLAND         [X] R1                  2–6 Oct
NEPAL           [X] R12-R14             18-28 Nov
ARGENTINA       [X] R10-FINAL           9 Nov–15 Dec
ITALY           [X] R4-R9               18–28 Oct / 3–8 Nov
NORWAY          [X] R3-R11              12–29 Oct / 4–6 Nov / 12–16 Nov
BANGLADESH      [X] R12-R14             18-28 Nov
EGYPT           [X] R1 & R5-R7          2–6 Oct / 20–31 Oct
NORTH KOREA     *AVAILABLE FOR FULL TOURNAMENT*
GREECE          *AVAILABLE FOR FULL TOURNAMENT*

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Big blow to Vanuatu as Iwai makes shock decision
images.jpeg-5.jpg
Vanuatu cricket captain, Kensi Iwai, has announced he is pulling out of the team's remaining commitments for the year.

At a hastily arranged press conference in the hotel the team was staying at, a teary-eyed Iwai said: "This has been the hardest decision I have made in my life... It was an honour to represent my country, and I am unsure if I will ever don these colours again.

"I have grown tired of the team politics that decide selection, and feel the current management have done a great disservice to Vanuatu cricket.

"I want to make it clear I am not retiring, I hope to play in the domestic competition... But I will make myself unavailable for international selection until further notice."

The decision comes after Iwai and Mark Mansale, two of Vanuatu's best players, were left out of the team for the third and final Test against Morocco.

Mansale declined to comment, apart from confirming he plans to play for his country in the upcoming tri-series against Spain and Italy.

World Cricket Conference

Verified Account
Details of the cricket tournament revealed for 2002 Commonwealth Games
“As initially reported, the tournament will actually not be featuring six teams.”

pMBgdz6.png

All cricket matches at the Commonwealth Games will be played at Old Trafford © BBC, October 8, 2001

After much deliberation and consideration, the World Cricket Conference [WCC] has finally revealed the details of the cricket tournament scheduled to be played at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. As initially reported, the tournament will actually not be featuring 6 teams. Instead it will comprise of 8 teams split into 2 groups of four, with group winners from each group proceeding to a single final. Winners of which will earn their nation Commonwealth Gold, and the runners-up Commonwealth Silver.

A Bronze Medal match is also scheduled to be played between group runners-up from both groups on the day of the final. The match is scheduled to be played before the final as a double-header, much like all group matches leading up to it. All cricket matches at the Commonwealth Games will be played at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester.

Most important detail of all, all matches will be Twenty20 matches, as announced earlier in the year. 2002 Commonwealth Games will mostly prove to be a testing ground for the new Twenty20 format, originally incepted for cricket's inclusion in the Olympics by World Cricket Conference President Müller Schwanstegger himself.

The top-8 Commonwealth nations according to WCC ODI World Rankings will qualify for the tournament, with the 1st of July being the cut-off time for teams to qualify.

2002 Commonwealth Games hosts England are guaranteed a berth in the tournament regardless of their WCC ODI World Ranking.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
ESPNCrickintel presents

Through the Gate, Episode 6: Simon Bule
Screenshot 2023-07-30 114046.png
How did you first get into cricket?

I was raised in Australia, and played junior cricket there in Brisbane. My dad is a huge cricket fan but I didn't even know Vanuatu had a team. I even played 2nds grade cricket there. When I was 16, I moved back to Vanuatu with my parents and was spotted in a talent hunt programme. After that, I have been heavily involved in any training camps they conduct.

Did you always dominate with the ball in junior/age group cricket?

No, I actually played on pitches very unhelpful for spinners growing up. That's how I learned my trade and I wouldn't be the same bowler if I hadn't struggled on those pitches early on.

What hobbies and interests do you have outside of cricket?

Before I chose cricket as a full-time career I spent a lot of time reading. I think at one point I even wanted to become a librarian! Haha... but I haven't done much reading since our international debut, it's been a hectic 12 months for us and I haven't found much time for other things.

How are you doing with captaincy, having obtained the role in unexpected circumstances?

Let me tell you, I'm no analyst. Tactically, I'm probably about as bad as they come. But I feel I can keep the team disciplined and mostly rely on instincts to make decisions. Our previous captain Kensi Iwai was a very loud guy, I'm more quiet and, I'd like to think, levelheaded.

Going into the 2001 CONOC Nations Cup, how confident are you of taking the trophy on home soil?

Look man, that's the dream, isn't it? Cricket popularity has surged in recent times and the atmosphere will be crazy if we have a few good days and reach the final. I think we know the conditions well, other teams' batters will struggle because Vanuatu pitches are just the wildest. Not trying to jinx ourselves too early, but we can hope.

How professional is cricket in Vanuatu?

Honestly, you can only make a living off of cricket if you're one of the top 20, 25 cricketers in the country. The pay isn't very good for any domestic talent coming through, you have to be good enough for internationals to consider cricket as a career path. I'm hoping this can change, because many top atheletes get put off by the pay and are lost to Vanuatu cricket.

Which nation are you looking forward to playing in the future?

There's a lot of new nations coming through, but I'd like to test myself against some of the historically strong nations like India or Denmark. If we can nab a tour on the FTP next season, I will be a very happy man.

Which WCC event would you like to win in the next few years?

Obviously, the ODI World Cup in 2003, it's just the absolute pinnacle. Although even if we qualify I will be proud of how far we have come as a team. Springing a few upsets on the biggest stage in world cricket must be a good feeling, eh?

Which player from another country are you a fan of?

Vasil Perez, he is an excellent fingerspinner and so smart with his variations. Recently I got to face him in the tri-series, where he was by far the best player in the tournament.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
espncrickintel.jpg
Asian Games Federation partners with ASCON to run T20 cricket at the 2002 Asian Games
haw.jpg

ASCON president Hawk Aussie announcing the inclusion of cricket at the Asian Games

The Asian Confederation of Nations (ASCON) have announced that they have successfully campaigned for cricket's inclusion at the 2002 Asian Games, to be played in South Korea.

The event will take place in the brand new T20 format. It is set to be only the second such international event, after the 2002 Commonwealth Games which are set to run earlier in the year.

ASCON president Hawk Aussie also confirmed the event would be run independently of the World Cricket Conference, under the joint jurisdiction of ASCON and the Asian Games Federation. Aussie said, "It is an honor to announce cricket will be played at the Asian Games for the first time. We are excited to introduce the T20 format to an ASCON event for the first time. Hopefully, cricket can become a regular sport at not only the Asian Games, but in sporting competitions around the world."

The introduction of T20 also removes one of the significant roadblocks to cricket's inclusion at these types of events, that the games last too long. A single ODI can run up to 10 hours and a Test match can run up to 5 days. T20 cricket is expected to cut that time significantly, lasting anywhere from 3-4 hours.

Paranoid Kendroid

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
India
AUS..
RCB...
The Boys
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
EUROCON announce Poland and Wales as the 14th and 15th
member nation of the confederation

jeremy-strong-1-1636992238.jpg

EUROCON president Kendall Roy

What this could mean for the upcoming EUROCON Europa League has not been revealed. Some of our sources told us that there could be made 4 groups of 3 teams who will play among each other, followed by knockouts (semi-finals and final). Official decision would likely be taken two-three months before the actual tournament starts. There's still participation doubts regarding some of the members like
nwiHf42.png
Ireland and
TLIc1Vc.png
Israel.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Tafea team owners bid to expand Pirates franchise in Wales
sketch-1691062855033.png
The Tafea Pirates team poses with the 2000 Island Championship trophy

VNT Holdings, the owners of the Tafea Pirates franchise in Vanuatu, have bid for a team in the Welsh domestic system.

John Vavak, chairman of the company, said, "VNT is pleased to announce they are trying to expand the Pirates franchise around the world. We hope this is only the first step as we plan to do more work in cricket.

"We hope to grow cricket in Wales and establish a strong cricketing relationship between the two countries"

The Tafea Pirates won the inaugural editions of both the Island Championship and Vanuatu Blast in 2000. Their star players include wicket keeper batsman Alphonse Tari and allrounder Saul Karie.

Supreme General

County Cricketer
1691250240016.png

OFFICIAL ECB STATEMENT-DOMESTIC TOURNAMENTS GIVEN THE GREEN LIGHT

ECB chairman Adam Steeper today unveiled England's plans for developing and creating their domestic structure with 8 regional teams competing in a First Class and a List A tournament. As well as opening applications for any overseas player to register interest for one of the 8 overseas slots available for each tournament

Click here to read the full statement: ECB domestic structure statement

Users who are viewing this thread